• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Impressions

OP
pwjazz

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
it seems to sound " dull " when powered via my LG V40

LG Quad DACs have an impedance detector that only enables full power for headphones over 50 ohm. K371 is too low to trigger that mode so you're not getting full power.

You can trick it by plugging in a short extension adapter with impedance adapter and then phones. After plugging in, take out the impedance adapter from the chain and you're golden.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
LG Quad DACs have an impedance detector that only enables full power for headphones over 50 ohm. K371 is too low to trigger that mode so you're not getting full power.

You can trick it by plugging in a short extension adapter with impedance adapter and then phones. After plugging in, take out the impedance adapter from the chain and you're golden.

I have been on the LG G6 for 2 years prior to the V40 ThinQ, and had been using the "external device" mode for the longest time.
( Just for reference, I was one of the earliest proponents of this "hack" on Head-fi,.)

I was referring to the fact that the K371 has a very high sensitivity rating of 114 db SPL /V , yet on default handphone output levels, it sounded pretty dull. It only seems to only come 'alive' with higher powered amps. The 'external device mode on the V40 ThinQ seems to do better no doubt. ( 25 /70 volume on it versus 43/70 volume on default setting)

Its really a heads-up for users who think that their typical handphone has enough grunt for it to sound good. It most probably won't.

OP
pwjazz

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have been on the LG G6 for 2 years prior to the V40 ThinQ, and had been using the "external device" mode for the longest time.
( Just for reference, I was one of the earliest proponents of this "hack" on Head-fi,.)

I was referring to the fact that the K371 has a very high sensitivity rating of 114 db SPL /V , yet on default handphone output levels, it sounded pretty dull. It only seems to only come 'alive' with higher powered amps. The 'external device mode on the V40 ThinQ seems to do better no doubt. ( 25 /70 volume on it versus 43/70 volume on default setting)

Its really a heads-up for users who think that their typical handphone has enough grunt for it to sound good. It most probably won't.

If you're in external device mode I don't think you're getting full power. That mode has never sounded great to me with headphones, I think it's intended as a line out for driving devices with high input impedances like amps.

In high impedance mode the K371 sounds good to me. You can get there either by using an imoedance adapter like this one, or by first plugging in your adapter along with some high impedance headphones and then swapping in the K371.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At one time there were a lot of simple software tricks to bypass the volume limiters on devices required in some markets but manufacturers seem to have closed those loop holes.

KosherButcher

Here is a report on QC problems.

Hey!

I'm really glad that I not only watched your video, but that I watched it until the end! I, too, have a pair of K371s from Amazon. I have been using them, for the past few days, and since I first got them, I thought something was going wrong with my hearing, or that I, somehow, was missing something that all the positive reviewers were hearing. I actually went and googled "K371 out of phase" because that's the closest way that I can describe what's going on. It sounds as if the bass frequencies are out of phase, and that entire portions of the mid-bass frequencies are missing. And I have tons of experience with all different kinds of headphones and IEMs. There is also something wonky going on with the seal on the pads, and I, too, get a crinkly sound from the drivers, that sounds like bad driver flex (I've had that in a few sets of sealed IEMs, and VERY badly in my Audeze Sine closed-back on-ears). But my main issue is the odd, scooped, out-of-phase sensation, that makes these headphones difficult to listen to. Once again, I own, and/or have experience, with well over 100 different pairs of headphones/IEMs, of all price levels - AND I'm a professional recording/mixing/mastering engineer.

I'm sorry to hear you've also had issues, but glad to have seen your post, as I now know I'm not the odd person out.

-TKB

Fregly

Hey!

I'm really glad that I not only watched your video, but that I watched it until the end! I, too, have a pair of K371s from Amazon. I have been using them, for the past few days, and since I first got them, I thought something was going wrong with my hearing, or that I, somehow, was missing something that all the positive reviewers were hearing. I actually went and googled "K371 out of phase" because that's the closest way that I can describe what's going on. It sounds as if the bass frequencies are out of phase, and that entire portions of the mid-bass frequencies are missing. And I have tons of experience with all different kinds of headphones and IEMs. There is also something wonky going on with the seal on the pads, and I, too, get a crinkly sound from the drivers, that sounds like bad driver flex (I've had that in a few sets of sealed IEMs, and VERY badly in my Audeze Sine closed-back on-ears). But my main issue is the odd, scooped, out-of-phase sensation, that makes these headphones difficult to listen to. Once again, I own, and/or have experience, with well over 100 different pairs of headphones/IEMs, of all price levels - AND I'm a professional recording/mixing/mastering engineer.

I'm sorry to hear you've also had issues, but glad to have seen your post, as I now know I'm not the odd person out.

-TKB
Not my vid. He is having problems similar to yours with the 4th one.

Kyle / MrHeeHo

Old thread but I think they sound great. My only real complaint is that they aren't friendly to those who wear glasses. I would love to see Harman's research applied to a headphone where price point? isn't a concern

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Actually The HE-1 is a pretty recent headphone launched well after Harman target became a thing, for some people.
It is very close to the Harman target with cost no object and sounds much much much better than the K371 which is a nice sounding E 135.- entry level headphone.

Last edited:

Erik

Actually The HE-1 is a pretty recent headphone launched well after Harman target became a thing, for some people.
It is very close to the Harman target with cost no object and sounds much much much better than the K371 which is a nice sounding entry level headphone.
Can you explain why the HE-1 should sound much much much better than the K371 or is it just an arbitrary assumption? Except the fact that the HE-1 is an open-back headphone, which does make it sound somewhat more natural. Calling the K371 an "entry level headphone" when it is, objectively speaking, one of the best headphones on the market is just being ignorant and denying the research that went into creating the product.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I assume you haven't heard the HE1.
I will relax what I wrote: HE-1 sounds much much better to ME.

Can you explain why the entry level priced K371 is objectively speaking one of the best headphones on the market ?

tebe_pizdets

Can you explain why the HE-1 should sound much much much better than the K371 or is it just an arbitrary assumption? Except the fact that the HE-1 is an open-back headphone, which does make it sound somewhat more natural. Calling the K371 an "entry level headphone" when it is, objectively speaking, one of the best headphones on the market is just being ignorant and denying the research that went into creating the product.
Why do even bother calling K371 aka Beats by AKG "one of the best headphones on the market"? It didn't require a lot of research to make those, they just figured out that a lot of people these days like lots of bass an rolled off highs when they listen to crappy modern music. You spend way too much time on dvach, my friend.

Kyle / MrHeeHo

Why do even bother calling K371 aka Beats by AKG "one of the best headphones on the market"? It didn't require a lot of research to make those, they just figured out that a lot of people these days like lots of bass an rolled off highs when they listen to crappy modern music. You spend way too much time on dvach, my friend.

I hope you're trolling because this post is utter nonsense

Veri

Master Contributor
I bought K361. Found them quite lacking but OK on a budget. Not sure how much better K371 are.
I got a refund and bought used Audeze Sine. So much better, especially EQ'ed. YMMV

Top Bottom