• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K271 Review (Closed Back Headphone)

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This or Dan Clark Aeon RT?

Answering to myself -> Aeon RT wins clearly. Once the itch is there, the only way to get rid of it is to test yourself. :) So I got the AKG for comparison testing, applied the EQs and tweaked them also a bit to my liking. AKG feels and sounds 'thin'. They are very lightweight and feel cheap and plastic compared to heavier and more premium Aeon. Aeon pads are also much much better and provide a lush feeling and better sound isolation. The AKG sound is not bad, but words like 'thin' and 'hollow' come to mind. Bass is not as strong and good as with the Aeon.

A good question is the price and can the Aeon justify the 5x price compared to the AKG...

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I just ordered a pair from Amazon Japan. I'll be very disappointed if both Amir's or Maiky's EQs don't work on mine, but I'll keep my hopes high :).

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Got the headphones yesterday and played a few EQ settings for a few hours now. At first I thought Oratory's sounded the best but after tinkering around I finally settled on Maiky's preset (dialed the bass down quite a bit, 4 dB lower than posted). They are superbly detailed sounding and tonally sounded correct to my ears after EQ. I really like it! The bass is not planar-level bass but good enough for most people in my opinion. I don't like the stock sound at all, vocals sound shouty and they don't sound tonally correct to me (sounded tinny in the treble region).

Got the headphones yesterday and played a few EQ settings for a few hours now. At first I thought Oratory's sounded the best but after tinkering around I finally settled on Maiky's preset (dialed the bass down quite a bit, 4 dB lower than posted). They are superbly detailed sounding and tonally sounded correct to my ears after EQ. I really like it! The bass is not planar-level bass but good enough for most people in my opinion. I don't like the stock sound at all, vocals sound shouty and they don't sound tonally correct to me (sounded tinny in the treble region).
Hi there, did you use a parametric eq or a graphic eq?

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.
Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
Poor L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 50.5
Score Armirm: 59.3
Score with EQ: 103.6

Code:
AKG K271 APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July082021-115100

Preamp: -11.6 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 24.35 Hz Gain 6.97 dB Q 0.26
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 70.19 Hz Gain 6.72 dB Q 1.28
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 626.70 Hz Gain -2.59 dB Q 4.99
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1775.70 Hz Gain -3.09 dB Q 3.23
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2182.64 Hz Gain 4.00 dB Q 4.04
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5124.45 Hz Gain 6.45 dB Q 1.18
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8517.12 Hz Gain -4.68 dB Q 3.73

View attachment 139762
Hi may I ask was there a reason why you didn't fix the dips on 700Hz~ and 4000Hz~ (looking at the bottom left pic) ?

keppel123

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.
Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
Poor L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 50.5
Score Armirm: 59.3
Score with EQ: 103.6

Code:
AKG K271 APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July082021-115100

Preamp: -11.6 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 24.35 Hz Gain 6.97 dB Q 0.26
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 70.19 Hz Gain 6.72 dB Q 1.28
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 626.70 Hz Gain -2.59 dB Q 4.99
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1775.70 Hz Gain -3.09 dB Q 3.23
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2182.64 Hz Gain 4.00 dB Q 4.04
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5124.45 Hz Gain 6.45 dB Q 1.18
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8517.12 Hz Gain -4.68 dB Q 3.73

View attachment 139762
Man, this EQ is masterpiece! For me my K271 plays now fu**ing flawless! :D

Last edited:
Man, this EQ is masterpiece! My K271 plays now fu**ing flawless! :D
Hi, can you try these 2 EQ profiles I made myself and tell me how do they sound? I'm just curious but if you don't want due to hassle, it's fine :)

Attachments

• AKG K271 Harman FInal (2).txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 102
  • AKG K271 Harman Final.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 88

keppel123

Hi, can you try these 2 EQ profiles I made myself and tell me how do they sound? I'm just curious but if you don't want due to hassle, it's fine :)
Hi, your is nice too, the 1st one is more detailed :D but i feel low bass is little bit too quiet for me
Second i think sounds worst than the stock curve :D

p.s im not expert, im just simple listener who wants to hear just nice sound :) So dont worry much about my opinion ;)

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
After reading the Chinese MK2 review I'm curious how the non-mk2 Austria cans measure

Neutronman

Disappointed, even at the low price of $128. I've tried to EQ these cans, just can't find a pleasing sound, too harsh. Also headphones are very uncomfortable. Going back to Amazon. No real competition to my Meze 99 Neo's after EQ... But I gave these to my son. Perhaps I'll try the 371.... Just trying to find a reasonably prices set of closed over ear cans.... Happy to take some recommendations.

Top Bottom