• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Affordable Streamer, Preamp and Amplifier

bkarl

I'm assembling a Streamer/DAC, a Preamplifier and a 120W Power Amplifier, all which I branded “Claudio” for “Clean Audio”. I want to end up with products that allow me to stream and play my favorite music with absolutely no discernible noise, minimal distortion and great tonal quality. I will update on this forum but you can se all the details at: https://www.terravendi.com/claudio

Attachments

• tripplet-500x405.jpg
    tripplet-500x405.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 71

Holmz

Major Contributor
  1. So you already have speakers?
  2. How far away do you sit?
  3. What level do you listen at?
  4. What is you budget?
  5. Do you want it to last a while or start on an upgrade cycle?
For instance:
  1. If you have a DAC and speaker already, then you could run it into a small amp with a volume knob like an AIYAMA to passive speakers.
  2. or if you have speakers you could get a TDAI 1400 integrated and it would likely be pretty useful for the room correction… and you might not even need the DAC - I think they are built in.
  3. Or you could use active speakers and probably not need the DAC, preamp, or amp.
Many would use a Topping T90 DAC, I use an RME, the a preamp and amp into passives.
Everyone has opinions a favourite amp.

Usually the speaker plays a big role, and the room also play a much bigger role in frequency response than all the other stuff.
Maybe a really good room is better than some speakers, but speaker and room are big ones.

But if I was starting from scratch, then I would be looking hard at active speakers with room correction and streaming built in.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Holmz you didn't read... he ain't trying to make a private system for himself.
@bkarl and how you think to resolve software questions (including integration, DSP chain [full processing and room correction], streaming...)?
So far amp section is in false advertising category (board's that are up to [theoretical not mesured] 65 W @ 8 Ohm's).
Good luck beating something like Yamaha R-N803.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Either that or DIY project anyway I don't want to be discouraging but I this the goal is set to high.

OP
bkarl

bkarl

Well, thank you for comments! On the website I provided a link to I have stated the goals I have for these devices that I build just for myself. The total budget for all is around $3300. There's also details about the DAC and components considered. Yes my room is not big and I'm usually around 15ft away from speakers. Listen mostly to classical and jazz As far as the amplifier goes it has enough power for me I think, and for sure, it has been reviewed and tested. As far as speakers go I may be looking for something else later.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
A couple of boards to consider on the side of amplifier would be L12 & L15 and they aren't expensive and come with proper measurements. Choose is more up to how much power output you want to achieve and keep in mind L15 kit heatsinks are bad.
The L12 design proposition with couple of modifications:
You will find components list in video and do watch the rest related to both board's on the channel, best regards.

OP
bkarl

bkarl

Well, thank you for comments! On the website I provided a link to I have stated the goal I have for these devices that I build just for myself. The total budget for all is around $3300. There's also details about the DAC and components considered. Yes my room is not big and I'm usually around 15ft away from speakers. Listen mostly to classical and jazz As far as the amplifier goes it has enough power for me I think, and for sure, it has been reviewed and tested. As far as speakers go I may be looking for something else later.
A couple of boards to consider on the side of amplifier would be L12 & L15 and they aren't expensive and come with proper measurements. Choose is more up to how much power output you want to achieve and keep in mind L15 kit heatsinks are bad.
The L12 design proposition with couple of modifications:
You will find components list in video and do watch the rest related to both board's on the channel, best regards

Interesting thank you! Can you provide links to reviews of this unit or any unit that use these amplifier boards?

poxymoron

I'm no help to you but I'll follow this thread with interest. Good luck.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Surprise, surprise... L12-2 is actually based on originally Sunken transistors and probably Yamahas design. :facepalm:
Anyway a complete form thread with measurements and discussion.
Seams Yamaha R-N803 will stay hard to beat, still L12-2 is interesting board which could probably match the Yamaha ones in AS - R-N line's if implemented good (especially regarding power supply).

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I actually quite like the aesthetics of this... and I do find it quite curious how some of the bits are from other established companies like Schitt.

I have no interest in streamers or amps because that's already a reasonably well worn path. I do find the integrated of a equaliser in the preamp quite... odd...

And yeah. I do get how there's a fair few stereo streamer receivers now... besides Yamaha there's Onkyo and the Marantz Pm7000, NR1200 types.

Jungstar

It is beautiful - great use of Neurochrome stuff!!! What software do you use for the a rasberry pi? I have gotten quite tired of volumio

Top Bottom