• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice wanted (Is this okay?) : Looking for a <$1000 stereo amplifier

Pygmy

Okay, please hear me out.. :)

I've built a stereo amplifier I'm really happy with for my living kitchen (5x6m).
I've basically bought a Yuan Jing TPA3116D2 board, and I've read through thousands of posts on the DIYAudio.com forum discussing mods on this boards, filtering and ending up with my own final set of "these are the mods that should be best".

:)

In other words, I've replaced almost all caps, coils and resistors, ending up with this frankenstein:

..that ended up in the amplifier in the center of this picture:

...and honestly, it sounds fucking fantastic.
After some A/B'ing it replaced the $1500 Onkyo amp in the kitchen..
And the best part is that class D is so energy efficient, I can leave it on 24/7 without even showing up on my energy bill.

...but... it's a DIY project.. and after a year or two.. it's not always performing "as it should".
Occasionally the sound drops out and there's a "frizzlesizzle" sound coming from the amplifier.
..which fucking scares me.

So - to make a short story very long; I'd like to buy a "commercial" replacement of my own DIY amp (one that doesn't "frisszlesizzle"); preferably one that's very energy efficient and could be on 24/7, and I assume that means it would need to be a class D amplifier.
BUT - if it could actually *look* very impressive too, that would be a big plus :)

So if anyone has invented a Class D performing amplifier looking like a $15k tube amplifier - I'd really like to hear from you :-D

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Buckeye Amps or if you want to pay more Orchard Audio, maybe?

OP
P

Pygmy

Buckeye Amps or if you want to pay more Orchard Audio, maybe?

Eh, both seem to be above the "$1000" limit mentioned in the topic title if I'm not mistaken?

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Eh, both seem to be above the "$1000" limit mentioned in the topic title if I'm not mistaken?

I saw stereo amps at Buckeye for $649 and $499.

OP
P

Pygmy

I saw stereo amps at Buckeye for $649 and $499.

Sorry, my internet kung-fu is apparently very weak...
Can you point me to a proper selling point?
(All I get is reddit links and forum posts, might be my Search Bubble..?)

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Here. He's a member you'll need to contact him through the link.

OP
P

Pygmy

Here. He's a member you'll need to contact him through the link.

That looks like proper quality material on the inside!
But at the same time, it looks like a generic black box on the outside... :-/

I'm (still) looking for something class D, low energy, that *looks* like a 15K amplifier - not like a black metal box.. :p

If my request was easy I wouldn't have posted it here ;-)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
P

Pygmy

Maybe a boXem amp? Nice chassis and notice the auto on/off feature.
https://boxem-audio.eu/en/5-stereo-amplifiers

I don't want to sound snarky but alas I probably will.
The pictures I see when clicking that show a render of a VERY dull gray box.

Let me repeat - I want something that looks impressive, or at least doesn't look like a generic square metal case with a power button..

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rizzle

I think they're $600 each but there is the Hattor NC500MP.

1629732134392.png

Ps. shameless plug, but in my signature there is a spreadsheet with class d power amps based on Powersoft, ICEpower, Pascal, Hypex & Purifi, maybe you'll find something to your liking in there.

Last edited:

David Harper

the amp you built there looks a lot like a schiit vidar both inside and out. nice job.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't want to sound snarky but alas I probably will.
The pictures I see when clicking that show a render of a VERY dull gray box.

Let me repeat - I want something that looks impressive, or at least doesn't look like a generic square metal case with a power button..
Looks like the pictures (photographs btw, not renders) need a revision :D.
It doesn't look impressive because it is small. But it far to look dull. And it has no power button ;).
Now if you want a huge box with gold, silver, chrome and blinking RGB, sorry, we do not have such things in stock.

Willem

Major Contributor
De gustibus non disputandum, but I think the Boxem cases are the best looking in the Hypex/Purifi market, or even any current power amplifier. They remind me of Dieter Rams' clean designs for Braun, and those to my mind were the most beautiful pieces of audio gear ever designed.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
De gustibus non disputandum, but I think the Boxem cases are the best looking in the Hypex/Purifi market, or even any current power amplifier. They remind me of Dieter Rams' clean designs for Braun, and those to my mind were the most beautiful pieces of audio gear ever designed.
Wow, thank you! :) Getting something very clean was indeed the idea.

Top Bottom