• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advent 350 Power Rectifier Diode Replacement

mteetank

Hello,
I am replacing the power capacitors in my 1980's Advent 350 Receiver. The capacitors chosen require I increase the ampere rating on the power rectifier diodes. The OEM Diode part number is YAB-010EDI7945. I have not found any cross reference for this number so currently do not know the actual OEM Ampere rating of the rectifier diodes.

Question: What ampere and voltage specifications for the power rectifier diodes would be considered Robust (overkill) so I cover all my bases? Additionally, is there a resource that would be able to identify the specs of the OEM Diode. Thanks

Attachments

• Diode_Advent_350.jpg
    Diode_Advent_350.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Advent_350_powersupply.jpg
    Advent_350_powersupply.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 38

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Were it me, I'd try to sneak a modern 35A bridge in there.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If your new caps draw substantially more ripple current (from lower ESR? I assume), you *might* end up with some rectifier hash. In which case the cure is a snubber across each diode leg, 100 ohms in series with a 0.01uf ceramic cap being a typical snubber.

OP
M

mteetank

I completed the install of the 12000uF Power Capacitors in my Advent 350. Fired it up and sounds great. I measured the 43 year old oem 6800 uF capacitors and they were between 5200 uF - 5800 uF. Now I am considering fpitas suggestion of adding a snubber across each diode. I am going to buy the Roxburgh EMC RE12001 x 4 for the diodes and use the same one on the power switch to reduce arcing. I have attached a diagram to show how I understand how to wire it. Any assistance in how to proceed would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Diode Snubber.jpg
    Diode Snubber.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 31

egellings

Major Contributor
I completed the install of the 12000uF Power Capacitors in my Advent 350. Fired it up and sounds great. I measured the 43 year old oem 6800 uF capacitors and they were between 5200 uF - 5800 uF. Now I am considering fpitas suggestion of adding a snubber across each diode. I am going to buy the Roxburgh EMC RE12001 x 4 for the diodes and use the same one on the power switch to reduce arcing. I have attached a diagram to show how I understand how to wire it. Any assistance in how to proceed would be appreciated.
Be careful that the peak currents from so much capacitance don't fry the power transformer.

Top Bottom