• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Added a Genelec 7040A sub to my 8030C monitors

YSC

Major Contributor
Understand, I know that both 8030C and G3 rolls off at 47Hz that it makes sense you want to boost it.

I just want to make sure 7040A doesn't have this sorts of 'flappiness' and 'rumble' that many subwoofers with small drivers have.
This was with L+R, so the comb filtering was there

distortion.jpg

timiark

How did you adjust the phase and the crossover?
7040A's crossover is fixed at 85Hz.

About what is the effect of phase shifting, you may refer to 7040A's product page and download the owner's manual at the bottom of the page. I believe that manual has conprehensively illustrated the effect of phase adjustment.

YSC

Major Contributor
Thank you so much for posting this result! I could see 7040A really coud dive down to 30Hz without getting distorted. Amazing engineering indeed.
This is another one in % when I drive it with the 47hz peak was due to the 8db boost with the room mode null, and the brown line was the noise floor whereas the black is THD. since the 47hz 10% THD isn't percievable, and I usually listen quite a bit lower than that, so I decided to keep the boost in, else it will be all below 5%

THD.jpg

This is the measuredFR after the boos
1-48_R new EQ.jpg

timiark

This is another one in % when I drive it with the 47hz peak was due to the 8db boost with the room mode null, and the brown line was the noise floor whereas the black is THD. since the 47hz 10% THD isn't percievable, and I usually listen quite a bit lower than that, so I decided to keep the boost in, else it will be all below 5%

View attachment 225792

This is the measuredFR after the boos
View attachment 225793
Thanks for extra results, 5%-10% THD is totally acceptable to me.

YSC

Major Contributor
Thanks for extra results, 5%-10% THD is totally acceptable to me.
yes, but extra remark, it's a single 7040A, right 5cm in front of front wall, and under computer desk, so quite some room gain, and it's like @1m distance so the usable SPL will be cleaner, if you have any more space I would say better off get the 7050 and it will be a lot better

timiark

yes, but extra remark, it's a single 7040A, right 5cm in front of front wall, and under computer desk, so quite some room gain, and it's like @1m distance so the usable SPL will be cleaner, if you have any more space I would say better off get the 7050 and it will be a lot better
Sadly tho, I am in the exact same shoe as yours. I am probably going to put it right under my desk in my small room (3m3m, actual first room mode at 58Hz).

Still, if I could live with the price of 7050C, I would probably instead look at SVS micro 3000 or KEF kc62.

YSC

Major Contributor
Sadly tho, I am in the exact same shoe as yours. I am probably going to put it right under my desk in my small room (3m3m, actual first room mode at 58Hz).

Still, if I could live with the price of 7050C, I would probably instead look at SVS micro 3000 or KEF kc62.
true, mine is worst as can't put sideway under my desk (my gaming PC is there, and my wife's space next). room size is similar, I would feel the 7050 could be better sound wise but it eats up my foot rest space (7040 205mm depth just fits nicely), sure SVS 3000 micro or KC62 could be better and flat down to 20hz also, but then the integration isn't that easy also, the 7040 I just turn the sensitivity switch to match my 8030Cs, since same distance don't engage the phase shift, and use the -2db dip switch due to proximity to wall and then use REW to EQ it down and boost the null at 47hz, with other subs I bet the sensitivity, high pass etc. need some more effort.

timiark

true, mine is worst as can't put sideway under my desk (my gaming PC is there, and my wife's space next). room size is similar, I would feel the 7050 could be better sound wise but it eats up my foot rest space (7040 205mm depth just fits nicely), sure SVS 3000 micro or KC62 could be better and flat down to 20hz also, but then the integration isn't that easy also, the 7040 I just turn the sensitivity switch to match my 8030Cs, since same distance don't engage the phase shift, and use the -2db dip switch due to proximity to wall and then use REW to EQ it down and boost the null at 47hz, with other subs I bet the sensitivity, high pass etc. need some more effort.
Exactly, I had tried some other subs and find integrating them super tedious and daunting. 7040A looks like a painless addon to Genelec's own full range speakers.

YSC

Major Contributor
Exactly, I had tried some other subs and find integrating them super tedious and daunting. 7040A looks like a painless addon to Genelec's own full range speakers.
in deed, if I will be one day moving to a larger home, I likely will still bite the bullet and get the 7050 or even 7360 to use with the 8030

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll never go for multichannel, and the OP has proven that one can get decent results up to 30 kHz, which I think it's just fine. I need a bit more energy and clarity on the gong and double bass deep notes in Der Abschied. From 20 to 30 there isn't perhaps that much content. The 7040 seems to be designed to fill the gap between 60 and 30. Given the price difference, I guess is what I will end up buying, eventually...

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

The SVS micro 3000 was a better option for me with the 8030c. You can't use GLM so might as well tune it from your seat. As far as I can tell (and hear), the main reason to pay the Genelec sub premium is so you can use it with GLM to calibrate the system.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unless there are different configuration options on the 7040a than the 7060a which I do own, the SVS is very similar to integrate than the Genelec and you can do it from your set using the app. Am I missing something?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SVS micro 3000 was a better option for me with the 8030c. You can't use GLM so might as well tune it from your seat. As far as I can tell (and hear), the main reason to pay the Genelec sub premium is so you can use it with GLM to calibrate the system.
In europe at least there is not much price difference between the SVS 3000 micro and the 7050, at about 60 € if you can buy SVS at discount, and without it the 7050 is a bit cheaper. The 7040 is about 350 € cheaper than both.

Edit: And the genelecs are balanced and the 7050 multichannel, so at least here is the SVS that has a premium price.

timiark

Unless there are different configuration options on the 7040a than the 7060a which I do own, the SVS is very similar to integrate than the Genelec and you can do it from your set using the app. Am I missing something?
No, I was referring to some cheap sub I recently tried. I am sure SVS's phone app should be painless to use.

Still, I found this video on YouTube interesting:
. At 14:26, he did a frequency sweep and I definitely heard and see some second harmonics going on around 30Hz. This concerns me a bit as I really don't want some strange ultra low bass with lots of second harmonics.

Or, maybe he is just driving the unit too loud that the distortion cannot be tamed. Common case on small subs, but still annoying.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'll never go for multichannel, and the OP has proven that one can get decent results up to 30 kHz, which I think it's just fine. I need a bit more energy and clarity on the gong and double bass deep notes in Der Abschied. From 20 to 30 there isn't perhaps that much content. The 7040 seems to be designed to fill the gap between 60 and 30. Given the price difference, I guess is what I will end up buying, eventually...
You know you want a subwoofer. Subwoofers are like chocolate and fries: everyone likes them. :D

If you already have Genelec´s calibration microphone, it´s just an extension and you´ll integrate it quite well.

Top Bottom