• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADC Recommendation

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
I am looking for a 4-channel (or 2x2) analog to digital converter. I would like it to be transparent and for it to be very low latency, connections are RCA (although I can deal with XLR/TRS). Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s the budget? What should it interface with? Do you need a box? A board? What do you consider transparent?

… still lots of open questions.

OP
M

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
Thanks for the response. I want to use it to convert an analog signal coming from a single ended audio processor. I would prefer a box, but would consider a DIY project that is not too complicated. By transparent, I mean it does not alter the analog signal in a manner that can be heard; i.e. the digital content should be auditorily indistinguishable from the analog content once converted (it is not necessary that the ADC specifications exceed specifications that are beyond human hearing).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There really isn’t a lot out there. AliExpress has some cheap boards using PCM1802. I have no idea what real performance they offer, but in theory they give a 96 SINAD, so CD quality. I’d be interested to know though ;) PCM1804 would be even better.

OP
M

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
It may be an option, if I can't find a reasonable box ready option. A PCM1804 board can be had for $19, so $38 for two including shipping (2 x 1802 can be had for $12.5 including shipping). The same vendor offers a power board for $17 including shipping, and it seems to provide sufficient power for two PCM 1804. I would like to read a DIY thread about someone completing the project before going down this path, just to make sure there are no hiccups. However, I would be happy to pay a couple of hundred for a proven ready-made box.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a link to the 1804 board? I can’t find any. Or is that the one that interfaces with a DSP board?

OP
M

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
Try this link. It's the second to last board

MCH

Major Contributor
Why not a normal interface like a Motu or a focusrite? They aren't expensive and there are measurements available. Where does your digital signal go?

OP
M

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
Which Motu or focusrite would you suggest?

It will go to a Processor I use to convert digital to analog. The reason I need to convert the original analog to digital is because the processor I use for music and tv is setup to receive digital signals.

Yes, it is a bit of a mess :facepalm:

MCH

Major Contributor
What do you mean with a processor? Some sort of computer? An AVR?

If your processor is a computer, Motu M4 has a decent adc, 4 channels and was measured here. Its only digital output is USB. Don't know if it fits your needs, have a look:

MCH

Major Contributor
I guess because they need a computer to work.
I believe there are interfaces with spdif or adat outputs that can work standalone, that's why i was asking where the digital signals go

OP
M

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
A processor with RCA outputs (JVC XP 1010). It's a processor from the 90s with some nice features allowing it create certain hall effects. The system in my family room is not ideal for 7.1 + systems, but the configuration provided by the XP 1010 works well. However, for personal reasons I would like to digitize its effects output.

Trell

Major Contributor
A processor with RCA outputs (JVC XP 1010). It's a processor from the 90s with some nice features allowing it create certain hall effects. The system in my family room is not ideal for 7.1 + systems, but the configuration provided by the XP 1010 works well. However, for personal reasons I would like to digitize its effects output.

I'd say this is an excellent opportunity to reevaluate your entire setup.

OP
M

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
I'd say this is an excellent opportunity to reevaluate your entire setup.
Thanks for your concern. I have 4 different setups, including Atmos, 7.1 and 5.1. I "high-end" analog setups, and very well designed digital setups. I am happy with the above noted setup and there is nothing to re-evaluate, I just need to be find a reasonable way to convert my analog effects signal ;):)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm having a similar issue, mixing analog Kali speakers with a digital only Genelec 7271 dual sub and 8260 monitors.

This is one solution I found, but it's expensive and just the cable to connect things is another ~$100+

I'd be interested in other options though.

Something like this with RCA inputs would work too:

OP
M

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
Those are interesting options. One would imagine the Genelec would be fairly transparent, but I would like to see some measurements to confirm it. The Gra-Vue also looks interesting, but I would need two of them, whereas the Genelec could handle 4 channels of analog.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are interesting options. One would imagine the Genelec would be fairly transparent, but I would like to see some measurements to confirm it. The Gra-Vue also looks interesting, but I would need two of them, whereas the Genelec could handle 4 channels of analog.

Notice how the Genelec only has 4 output XLR plugs. The Gra-Vue has 2. This is because each AES/EBU over XLR output supports two channels. Sounds like the Gra-Vue may work if you need 4 channels.

Top Bottom