• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I need to apply even a generic .cal file to my cheap mic.

You can calibrate your uncalibrated ECM mic, but you need to have another calibrated micropone as reference available on-hand for this new calibration file creation process for the old mic.

There's also always https://www.cross-spectrum.com/

If you'd rather get a good 3rd party calibrated mic.

Backflash

In rePhase the output sampling rate I picked was 48000. You can change this to another fixed rate of your choice. It's better to keep the rate consistent throughout the chain.
That's the thing, it doesn't work in EQ APO that way. It's fine in other players. I tried various rates, but with EQ APO buzzing goes away only if the sample rate is different.

You can calibrate your uncalibrated ECM mic, but you need to have another calibrated micropone as reference available on-hand for this new calibration file creation process for the old mic.
Not that easy locally, I'm in middle of ruslands, going to save up for sonaworks xref20, it's the closest cheap thing I can get without going bankrupt. Mid bass fixes I get from ECM mic is real nice compared to no fix at all, I'm not in a hurry at this point.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
saw these in action at friends house yesterday, I am surprised indeed by their size and their performance.

Tried to hear any hiss from the tweeter, none was found (previously I was concerned about hiss from the speakers mentioned in comments somewhere). They were plugged to a very silent smsl m200.

Clarity and perfection even though the setup was just installed, not measured or room treatment of any kind. Thumbs up.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
That's the thing, it doesn't work in EQ APO that way. It's fine in other players. I tried various rates, but with EQ APO buzzing goes away only if the sample rate is different.

That's a little bit strange to hear as I know some people here do use convolution via EQAPO without any of that strange "buzzing" issue. But could try creating a new thread -- you have a better chance someone with more experience with the software might be able to help. Ayways, you don't really need to use convolution at all. Plain old regular PEQs should already be fine.

Backflash

That's a little bit strange to hear as I know some people here do use convolution via EQAPO without any of that strange "buzzing" issue. But could try creating a new thread -- you have a better chance someone with more experience with the software might be able to help. Ayways, you don't really need to use convolution at all. Plain old regular PEQs should already be fine.
Turns out culprit was the new MOTU driver feature "sync windows sample rate to device", deleted sonaworks just in case too.
I'm sure PEQ is enough, but having an opportunity to go all the way and not use it would make me want to tweak it more and more, it's better to try everything I can right away.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought an Adam T5V and stuck it into service in my 7.4.4 Dolby Atmos system, replacing one of the JBL 305P MKIIs, the one in the center over the TV screen. It shares center channel duties with the front left and right JBLs, as part of an array of 3 speakers that focus a solid phantom center image at the middle of the screen, a technique that I first heard about from the Magnepan “tri-field center” setup. (I used Magnepans and Quads at home for nearly 40 years.) These are my findings.

Some further contextual information regarding this system: DSP is used to do level, EQ, phase and distance/time compensation. Every speaker and sub gets the full DSP treatment, and the JBLs and the Adam have DSP EQ applied to match the Klippel-derived “listening window” (LW) compensation curves that have been widely recommended for each, so this is NOT a raw, out of the box comparison. These are my real-world conditions and that tend to level the playing field significantly in terms of addressing some known issues with each design as best as possible, so they’re both delivering the most neutral spectral balance that I can conjure from each of them. The downside, if you can call it that, is that my final impressions ignore the affects of the resonance peaks and dips that are being compensated for. (Newsflash: the JBLs and the Adam, like most speakers, both have native resonances and other EQ non-linearities which require addressing.)

Another important caveat: in addition to rolling off below 80Hz for use with subwoofers, I PLUGGED THE BASS REFLEX PORTS IN ALL OF THE SATELLITE SPEAKERS IN THE SYSTEM, because I hate the internal cabinet resonances that escape from ports, even rear-mounted ones. I find them intolerable in most designs, including both of these. So often, bass reflex speakers that cover the midrange, as opposed to just bass, have a characteristic boxiness, a set of midrange colorations that remind me of big PA speakers. Plus, a port likes to literally “whistle” its own tune with a resonance or two in the mids around 600 Hertz give-or-take a few hundred depending on its dimensions. It’s all very distracting. I have always used subs at work and at home, and ideally the market would be flush with sealed cabinet satellites, but it isn’t, and to be fair that’s not the target market for these speakers anyway: they’re expected to provide a semblance of bass without a sub, so it’s a compromise. Well, the manufacturers have their agenda, and I have mine. So I plug the port and move on. This isn’t to fault the Adam, it just seems to be the nature of a ported box that’s loading a driver which has to operate up into the midrange.

I‘m a retired broadcast TV audio engineer, and a scientist, and I don’t feel comfortable using audiophile reviewer terminology, so my listening impressions will be disappointingly brief: I’ll just say that the T5V sounds slightly lower in distortion and seems to have punchier bass than the JBLs. The highs are particularly sweet and clean, and because of the seemingly lower midrange distortion, it can sometimes yield startlingly realistic human voice reproduction. That’s an acid test for me, and it’s something I had been missing when I gave up Magnepans and Quads. (I don’t miss the I
impossible-to-overcome room interaction issues inherent in planar dipoles.) The JBLs and the Adam both play adequately loudly for my purposes, seated in a typically-sized domestic room at about 2.5 meters away. But the Adam seems like it might be compressing dynamics less than the JBLs. They feel relatively a little cleaner, more “effortless” and dynamic than the JBL 305P MKII, especially for their size. I haven’t measured for that, though. End of listening impressions.

The T5V does seem to require 1 dB more input gain to play exactly as loudly (as measured with AudioTools) as a JBL 305P MKII when the unbalanced inputs are maxed out on each, before DSP, which doesn’t mean much. Everything in the room is running on CyberPower UPSes, fed by 2 different 15 amp breakers for adequate current delivery for everything on line, but the JBLs have all had to have their AC power ground pins floated with a “cheater plug” adapter to eliminate ground loops in this unbalanced system. (Don’t worry, everything is safe with no harmful voltages floating around anywhere in this setup. And in case you’re wondering, running all of the JBLs on a single breaker with nothing from the other breaker attached to them does not help the ground loop issue in any way. I tried that.) I never had that issue with outboard power amplifiers driving passive speakers here. The Adam T5V has been criticized by a few for having RFI (radio-frequency interference) issues and such, but it’s very well behaved in this installation, more so than the JBLs.

I was never bothered by the minimal amplifier hiss on the JBLs, it only being audible from about 15cm away for any of my units, (maybe I got lucky with all of the 15 units I bought?) but for what it’s worth this particular T5V is noticeably quieter.

I did some research on the larger Adam T7V and the T8V, and my takeaway is that the T5V, with its smaller woofer and smoother directivity may actually be the sweet spot in the lineup, especially if you’re running subwoofers, which I am, with a 4th-order Linkwitz-Riley high pass crossover at 80Hz on the satellites and a 2nd-order low pass on the subs at 120Hz (an overlap being required to address a null at 103 Hertz in my room.)

I just ordered a pair of T5Vs to put into front left and right channel service for this AV system.

Last edited:

withoutsuit

They are incredible cheap - does anyone know, how do they compare with the KEF LS50 Meta in midrange (with subs)?

Backflash

They are incredible cheap - does anyone know, how do they compare with the KEF LS50 Meta in midrange (with subs)?
Hunting for speakers I saw this posted a lot all over internets "man these speakers midrange is meh" about pretty much every speaker on the market depending who you ask, about Adams too, even saw a few people say that about 8010 Genelecs. I thought it was weird. Probably what happens, people put them in their rooms and mid bass goes crazy which completely overshadows mid range. I tried to fix that by ear, absolutely impossible for me.
I can't comment on KEF because design is very different, even if KLIPPEL data is sort of similar-ish in that area it probably sounds different to Adams, just consider measuring mic as part of your purchase.
T5V mid range is good I think, I happen to A/B them with Sennheiser HD600s every evening not to disturb my family at night, there isn't a vast difference after the correction.

DavidMcRoy

Hunting for speakers I saw this posted a lot all over internets "man these speakers midrange is meh" about pretty much every speaker on the market depending who you ask, about Adams too, even saw a few people say that about 8010 Genelecs. I thought it was weird. Probably what happens, people put them in their rooms and mid bass goes crazy which completely overshadows mid range. I tried to fix that by ear, absolutely impossible for me.
I can't comment on KEF because design is very different, even if KLIPPEL data is sort of similar-ish in that area it probably sounds different to Adams, just consider measuring mic as part of your purchase.
T5V mid range is good I think, I happen to A/B them with Sennheiser HD600s every evening not to disturb my family at night, there isn't a vast difference after the correction.

This is what I’m doing to correct midrange colorations in the Adam T5V. (The LF stuff is bass room compensation plus a 24dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley 80Hz high pass filter for crossover to subwoofers, and the HF correction is a Klippel-derived curve for nonlinearities in the tweeter response.) I would reemphasize that distortion is pretty low for this class, to the point of being subjectively extraordinary in my experience. After EQ, it passes the goosebump test for voice reproduction, given a good mic feed as a source. Not quite in Quad ESL or Magnepan territory, but far better than most box speakers.

Attachments

• D34FFC28-2339-40CB-BAE2-CA6C85DCB6B2.jpeg
    D34FFC28-2339-40CB-BAE2-CA6C85DCB6B2.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

Gang

Hi. I have Adam T7V monitors connected to sound card with TRS-XLR cables. Sound сard line out +12dbu. On monitor setting level 0db. I have very low volume. Why does this happen if the input level of the monitors is +4dBu? When I raise the input level on the monitor above 0 dB, hisses from the speakers. If I connect with TS-RCA cables the sound is loud and I need to lower the input level on the monitor.

Querkle

some hiss is to be expected from T5V and T7V, significantly more than there F5 and F7 counterparts, while the T5V is seems to be a great speaker on paper, looking at this review has made me want to try a pair of T5V's vs rokit 5's as it seems they have less distortion at high levels, and i regularly reach the limit of my Rokit's.

Sonny1

I have T5V’s set up for mixing music on a desktop plugged into a Focusrite interface balanced and they are very quiet. You have to put your ear right next to the speaker when both his being played to hear anything. When music is played there is no audible hiss.

Thanks to ASR for the recommendation. I never would have known about these if not for Amir’s review. My musician son loves them. I was originally going to get Kali Lp6’s but his desk is small and he needed something more compact. Really surprised by how loud these little speakers can play and the bass they produce with such little woofers.

Accace

Are they that much better than JBL 306P, especially taking into account that Adams cost twice as much as JBLs where I live?

phoenixsong

Are they that much better than JBL 306P, especially taking into account that Adams cost twice as much as JBLs where I live?
Curious about this too for my mid-field listening purposes (2.5m). Would like something with less distortion, and was looking at the Kali LP-6 v2 as well. The treble elevation in the Adams did put me off at first, but I have learnt the very basics of Equalizer APO since then

CumSum

I paid double for my T5V's over my JBL 306P's. Personally I would pay double for the T5V's. They have less bass but get louder and sound a lot cleaner, especially as they get louder. Distortion on the JBL's hold it back from being an incredible speaker. And I prefer the imaging as well, they sound less boxy compared to the JBL's.

I've tested both pairs of speakers both on their own and with subs plus DIRAC. Adam's are better. And with DIRAC the tonal balance can be tuned to perfection. They are a bit hot in the treble out of the box.

CumSum

Curious about this too for my mid-field listening purposes (2.5m). Would like something with less distortion, and was looking at the Kali LP-6 v2 as well. The treble elevation in the Adams did put me off at first, but I have learnt the very basics of Equalizer APO since then
I've tried the T5V's in a very large living room siting back about 15 feet and they did really great. I would probably still opt for the T7V's as they will have more output

phoenixsong

I've tried the T5V's in a very large living room siting back about 15 feet and they did really great. I would probably still opt for the T7V's as they will have more output
If I were staying alone I would definitely go for 8 inch speakers and a sub, remodeling the front of the room to accommodate said set up. However, my parents detest the idea of having 2 ominous-looking blocks near eye level in the main living room for all to see :p

phoenixsong

I paid double for my T5V's over my JBL 306P's. Personally I would pay double for the T5V's. They have less bass but get louder and sound a lot cleaner, especially as they get louder. Distortion on the JBL's hold it back from being an incredible speaker. And I prefer the imaging as well, they sound less boxy compared to the JBL's.

I've tested both pairs of speakers both on their own and with subs plus DIRAC. Adam's are better. And with DIRAC the tonal balance can be tuned to perfection. They are a bit hot in the treble out of the box.
Btw I agree with you, on my LSR30X pair the distortion is audible and distracting/annoying when played to satisfying levels in our large living room

Accace

Sadly, there are no measurements for Adam T7V. Can I suggest that they are the same/slightly better in sound quality as T5V? + I can buy them for virtually the same price.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Sadly, there are no measurements for Adam T7V. Can I suggest that they are the same/slightly better in sound quality as T5V? + I can buy them for virtually the same price.
I have the T7V as a near-field monitor. I think they are very good. Can´t compare them to anything else really, but to my ears they have no faults. Very clear, no distortion, good low-end.

Top Bottom