• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

staticV3

Master Contributor
May I ask a question, are the two EQ's supplied for the Adam T5V supposed to be used in tandem, or is it a matter of one or the other?
It's one or the other.
And secondly I notice using Peace that Q and dB gain measurement are rounded up and down either side of the decimal point
You can choose how much Peace rounds the values in the Settings.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a huge fan of @Maiky76 's work and it has added much to my listening pleasure. May I ask a question, are the two EQ's supplied for the Adam T5V supposed to be used in tandem, or is it a matter of one or the other? And secondly I notice using Peace that Q and dB gain measurement are rounded up and down either side of the decimal point, and I was wondering how much of an audible difference that would make if at all? Thanks again for your efforts, much appreciated.
Honestly anything other than high frequency shelving will not make an audible difference. It's a very good speaker out of the box.

Chaconne

I've always wondered what the measurements and sound would be like with the T5V's HF switch adjusted to -2 Db. I assume the HF shelf would be similar, though probably starting a bit lower in frequency. How closely would it resemble the sound of Amir's EQ adjustment?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always wondered what the measurements and sound would be like with the T5V's HF switch adjusted to -2 Db. I assume the HF shelf would be similar, though probably starting a bit lower in frequency. How closely would it resemble the sound of Amir's EQ adjustment?

the effect of the -2dB switch is documented in the review.

posvibes

Honestly anything other than high frequency shelving will not make an audible difference. It's a very good speaker out of the box.
I was really just asking about the Peace settings in general, although I am sorely tempted to purchase a pair of the Adam's, that said I am really quite enamored with the 305p's that I have despite their faults. So as far as I can see there are a few models within the price range that give pleasing results comparable with each other and the differences are in the presentation of the music, and those other features at the margin, hiss level, bass response, hardware and build etc.

The next step up is quite a jump in dollars especially here in Oz, and therefore a balancing of the shortcomings and compromises for my tightening wallet.

That "very good out of the box" recommendation goes into the pro's tick box column, good to hear, thank you.

posvibes

As I come to grips with reading the charts and trying to understand what they mean as far as sound, I am always grateful for the simple language of the impressions the speaker makes on @amirm and his brief notes. I look at the charts and for me it makes as much sense as a sheet of music. But if you are a trained musician ( and I'm not ) reading sheet music and the notes on the charts, are not a mystery given indicators such as the key, the time signature one can interpret (hear) not only melody, but harmony, rhythm, counterpoint, loudness, softness and other accents and effects etc.

I have trouble understanding what 300Hz is in terms of instrumentation, but I get "deep bass" and "bass killing" tracks, "more energy in male voices" and they are like signposts for me to use to go back and look at the charts. I like the notations and comments on the charts, it makes my understanding easier as to what is going on and what is trying to be achieved and I am ready to admit I am a bit thick regarding all of this, but very slowly coming to grips with it all, but at a very leisurely pace.

EQ has been quite a gift for me in all sorts of way and I have even been confident enough to tweak one or two of given EQ profiles by fellow contributors here, because I have become aware that treble levels on my 305p mk2's in particularly are best trimmed by -2dB with the wonderful EQ of @Maiky76 underpinning the overall sound. I can't tell you how good they sound to my ears.

What I am unable to fathom from the charts is the nature or essence of the superiority for instance in comparison to the 305's of the sound performance of the T5V, to some it seems marginal to others stark as black and white differences.

I find all the contributions from all followers very interesting, enlightening in fact eventhough some explanations are way beyond my ken. This is a great site, thanks to all those that keep the it running so smoothly and especially thanks to @amirm!

MX48

I've been looking at these for semi near field in my living room for music and about to pull the trigger.
First I want to say I am not as knowledgeable as the rest of you just want to get solid (measurements) inexpensive speaker.

Is there any reason for me to think about the T7V or the T8V? Amir apparently hasn't reviewed them so not sure how they measure.
Also there is a chance I will use a subwoofer with them which I assume would make the T5V just as good as the other 2.
I am going to do some listening first with the switches on the back and then decide if I want add a subwoofer or to do a little adjustment with a MiniDSP which I already have.

Thanks for any help, I am so glad this forum exists. Can't believe how much I have learned over the last couple of years lurking here.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there any reason for me to think about the T7V or the T8V? Amir apparently hasn't reviewed them so not sure how they measure.
Enter this into the search window and you'll see that Amir has reviewed the T8V:
Screenshot_20220831-164548_Chrome.png.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought a pair for a studio project and .. yes! surprising little beast. Under the radar this one for some reasons. I have only had a few hours with it, no critical listening but noticed no hiss.
This kind of sound for so little has me very worried ;) ... Seriously :D. You know, back in my days as a subjectivist audiophile who adhered to the BS of the High End Audio community, I would not have given this little speaker any attention. I mean, a Studio monitor for serious works cannot, cost so little!! We should know nd preach it that, that these days one can build a good studio around inexpensive items. I wish there were an ASR equivalent for audio professionals, the amount of BS in that sector matches the High End Audio consumer industry. Yes People. No disrespect to Genelec , Neumann, etc, intended, these brands have proven how good their products are, consistently and measurably .... But people!, In the professional audio press, fora, social media,? About microphones, mixers, amplifiers, monitors, sound effects, software, microphones again: A humongous pile of bovine excrement.

Still looking for a good pair of cans for studio use, so far, not pleased with the AKG K-371, could be an issue with sealing.. IDK and OT :).
I'll update my findings about the TV5, in the meantime, very, very pleased .

Peace

Last edited:

posvibes

In Peace PEQ settings what is the difference between the high shelf filter (slope in dB) and (Q as slope)?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In Peace PEQ settings what is the difference between the high shelf filter (slope in dB) and (Q as slope)?
A shelve filter starts to attenuate at the (corner) frequency and continues to do so. A Q filter has its highest amount of attenuation at the (center) frequency but has no attenuation above and below.

staticV3

Master Contributor
A shelve filter starts to attenuate at the (corner) frequency and continues to do so. A Q filter has its highest amount of attenuation at the (center) frequency but has no attenuation above and below.
Not quite right in this case. What you call Q filter is usually called Peaking or Bell filter.
Both "High shelf filter (slope in dB)" and "High shelf filter (Q as slope)" are genuine high shelf filters.
The difference lies in how you the end user want to define the slope. Either as dB/Oct, or with a Q value.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not quite right in this case. What you call Q filter is usually called Peaking or Bell filter.
Both "High shelf filter (slope in dB)" and "High shelf filter (Q as slope)" are genuine high shelf filters.
The difference lies in how you the end user want to define the slope. Either as dB/Oct, or with a Q value.
Thanks for the correction!

Aldoszx

Recently, I've completed my T5Vs setup with Adam T10s subwoofer.
I am using @Maiky76 EQ settings and I can say I am very happy with this setup.
Next step is to add room correction with REW.

posvibes

I think but am not sure that in the far field with EQ I prefer the AdamT5v's to my Kali LP-8's.

mechcentric

just ordered a pair of these based on the review. will follow up with my personal findings.
Got them in today. Was shocked by how transparent and natural these sounded. Every detail seemed present and natural, and almost like the music was playing live in my room. I was equally shocked by how much thump came from the 5" woofer. More than some 6.5" woofers I've heard. Explosions in games and videos sound satisfying, as well as bass drums, which sound very tidy. - 2db hf trim and they aren't fatiguing. Tweeter hiss was inaudible past a few inches. Bass seems to extend flat to 45 hz. Takes some getting used to coming from speakers with a mid bass hump. Overall a step up from my rti a3, like there was a thin curtain that was removed.

EDIT: while usable without a sub, I am considering purchasing a sub at a later date to extend LF response and allow the 5" drivers to focus on midrange and mid bass

Last edited:
Top Bottom