• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active crossover recommendations

rgpit

Forum Donor
I see folks here frequently recommending using a crossover between stand mounted loudspeakers and sub woofer. I've been running my Harbeth Compact 7es-3's full range along with various sub woofers using only low pass filters. I hear the Harbeths straining at higher volumes and now I'd like to try using a high pass filter with the Harbeths. My electronics are Benchmark DAC2HGC and AHB2. I'm looking for recommendations for a high quality, low noise active crossover between the Harbeths and 2 subs.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Possible with HSU High Pass Filter.
Costs US$100.
Manual
You choose 2 crossovers, starting from 30hz to 150hz, in 10hz increments.
Uses 2nd order (12 dB/Oct) high pass filter.
1618613434864.png

Otherwise, MiniDSP of course.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Price range?

I used an inexpensive dbx223 for years. It's an analog pro unit with balanced I/O. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/223XS--dbx-223xs

You could try a miniDSP if you want a flexible DSP-based solution although I am not sure it measured all that great per Amir. But it is the "go-to" sub crossover for many folk.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
There's plenty of options in the pro gear world. However finding anything that gets close to the level of performance of benchmark stuff is unlikely.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you want to keep the Benchmark DAC, MiniDSP SHD Studio. I think you need a second DAC for the subs, something inexpensive like Topping E30 should do.

If you're OK selling the DAC2, MiniDSP SHD. Amir's measurements show it has a good DAC, I wouldn't expect audible differences in regards to the DA-conversion itself.

Third option would be to do the crossover in Roon, JRiver etc. and just use a multi-channel DAC such as the Okto Research DAC8 Pro.

Top Bottom