• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Accuphase DG-68

Helicopter

Major Contributor
@restorer-john no question Accuphase is making incredible electronics, or that a piece with PnP voltage for your country is the 'right' way to do it.

I am drooling over the OP's setup and @rickler E-480.

Also, I don't see the bargains on ebay right now that would make me swing for an external power transformer. However, an external power transformer could be done cleanly, in a box, outside the room, especially for 100V in the US, and I would certainly do it for the right bargain. A color coded 100V receptacle in the US wouldn't be a hazard, and you could do it on a 15 amp breaker with a $200 transformer. The transformer box would fit nicely right next to my main breaker box.

220V in the US presents more technical challenges and safety issues to mitigate, but it is also a solvable problem.

If I am going to save the resale price of the unit by putting a transformer in the power chain, it won't be off the table.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The secret to acquiring these sorts of high end products is simple: cost amortization. Sure $15k sounds like a lot for an initial outlay, but these products will last 20 years plus. So, that works out to only $750 a year - or just a measly $2 a day, and who can't afford $2 a day in the pursuit of excellence? See, it's that easy! o_O

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The secret to acquiring these sorts of high end products is simple: cost amortization. Sure $15k sounds like a lot for an initial outlay, but these products will last 20 years plus. So, that works out to only $750 a year - or just a measly $2 a day, and who can't afford $2 a day in the pursuit of excellence? See, it's that easy! o_O
Easy when put like this. I have a budget (of a lot more than $2 per day) for this stuff, so I'll also need to exercise some self control in advance to buy something like this without breaking the budget... or just sell a half dozen vintage Japanese receivers.

Reactions: GDK
OP
Manojrc

Manojrc

That may be true for something like a high end SET amplifier which uses ancient technology & the tube technology will be more or less same even after 50 years !!. Here we are talking about DSP !! Though the product itself may last for many more years, the technology will be outdated within no time & you may see a much better, more feature rich $500 product from MiniDSP soon !! In other words, if someone wants to spend that kinda money on this product, they should prepare to upgrade every 3-4 years & finally end up spending $20/day instead of $2 !!

suavek

Now with DG58 on my shelve, I want to try DP560 player direct transport connection via HS-Link. Anyone uses such connection?

Screenshot_20210702-124027_Drive.jpg

suavek

This ain't listening room. It looks like 3rd party repair shop or inspection station.

TolaJr

Forum Donor
Now with DG58 on my shelve, I want to try DP560 player direct transport connection via HS-Link. Anyone uses such connection?

View attachment 138693
I had been thinking about this arrangement with my DG-68 and a DP-570 or DP-750, however after comparing the DAC sections of the EQ and players, it seems the EQ uses double the amount of DACs ( 8 VS 4 ) compared to the lower end accuphase CD players. I was concerned that connecting back to a DP-570 would actually be a downgrade. The DG-58 and DG-68 are fully capable of acting as a stand-alone DAC if fed from a CD transport or network bridge. The only benefit of HS-Link V2 seems to be to feed the DG files whose resolution exceeds 24/192. In lieu of a accuphase CD player, the I ended up just getting a Network bridge to feed the DG-68 over COAX. Hopefully that helps abit.

OP
Manojrc

Manojrc

This is just tecnical check , the listening room has some big B&W speakers
Question.. Does Dirac do more or less the same ? Not that I could afford a DG-58/68, but just to feel good if Diract does 99% of what DG does :)

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Question.. Does Dirac do more or less the same ? Not that I could afford a DG-58/68, but just to feel good if Diract does 99% of what DG does :)
if a DG offers 50% that Dirac or other does, it's a good things. DG is he abble to make better the DEQ 2496 ?

MDAguy

Forum Donor

I just set this up like this.. using just the one cable... not the return cable thought, and for some reason I have no volume control... mind you, I'm using a McIntosh amp and preamp (The C1100) and a dCS Rossini in the setup, so maybe it's the way I have it wired..

Tonally, it's similar .. the DSP works the same from what I can tell..

BTW, the DG68 has been a game changer for my room... a very clutters, smallish room where I get some amazing sound now.

Nascimento

I believe that all modern Accuphase equipment uses the same transformer, so a skilled technician can relatively easily convert from 100VAC to 120VAC!

Nascimento

It was great to read this topic!
Bought a DG68!
Waiting for delivery!

Nascimento

My Accuphase DG68 has arrived, now the fun begins!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I believe that all modern Accuphase equipment uses the same transformer, so a skilled technician can relatively easily convert from 100VAC to 120VAC!

It used to be the case that Japanese home market gear could not be fitted with anything except 100V primaries. The reason was to prevent parallel (grey market) exporting of Japan product to overseas. But Accuphase may have had an exemption due to their small size as a company.

It'd be interesting to see what they are doing these days- I had heard there are multiple taps on the primaries covering everywhere and if it uses an SMPS, all bets are off- it could work anywhere.

Nascimento

I have an Accuphase CD Player DP78 that was bought in the Japanese market, it was very easy to convert to 220vac!
Recently a friend bought an Accuphase E-480 and it was also very easy to convert to 120vac! No soldering needed, just a screwdriver!

Nascimento

here is where the magic happens!

Captura de Tela 2022-10-06 às 19.26.55.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have an Accuphase CD Player DP78 that was bought in the Japanese market, it was very easy to convert to 220vac!
Recently a friend bought an Accuphase E-480 and it was also very easy to convert to 120vac! No soldering needed, just a screwdriver!

That's wonderful. It opens up to the secondary market, Japanese gear, to the rest of the world.

There have been containers of older 100VAC gear landing in most countries for a long time and lots of dodgy conversions unfortunately.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just came across this thread... $13K for a digital graphic equalizer, lolwut? You can get an RME and an extremely nice computer to run parametric EQ for that kind of money, with enough left over for a used car... what am I missing?

Nascimento

Just came across this thread... $13K for a digital graphic equalizer, lolwut? You can get an RME and an extremely nice computer to run parametric EQ for that kind of money, with enough left over for a used car... what am I missing?

Unfortunately my garage doesn't fit a car anymore! lol

Top Bottom