• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Accuphase DG-68

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Guess which speakers Accuphase uses to assess the sound?

Yamaha NS-1000Ms...
View attachment 100190
“... it is subject to sensory checks using the five human senses...”

Looks good. Sounds great. Tactile response is wonderful. Smells normal. Tastes a bit shock-y. We’re good to go!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guess which speakers Accuphase uses to assess the sound?

Yamaha NS-1000Ms...
View attachment 100190

Yes, NS-1000M, interestingly top down!

I looked at these video, photo and PDF so many times which always encouraged me to convince "right way" in my multichannel multi-amplifer project with YAMAHA NS-1000 (not NS-1000M, though) and Accuphase E-460 as one of the multi-amps.

Please refer to my post #84 on the thread for the differences between YAMAHA NS-1000 and NS-1000M.

Last edited:

MDAguy

Forum Donor
“... it is subject to sensory checks using the five human senses...”
.. Smells normal...

oh that smell ... I can't explain how nice it was to open that box and pull that soft cover off and smell the electronics!

suavek

Hello there.
I am happy owner of E260 and E370 integras. For decades I have been glued to various yamaha audio gear pursuing latest models including famous 3000 series. Accuphase was always out of my ballpark range.
One day I stumbled upon these two amps being listed on eBay, both US sellers. Very rare. I decided to pull the trigger and got both for half of the retail price. They were in immaculate condition.

Once I hooked up 260 where my Yam as3000 was and turned it on, I was blown away. I am over 50 and had a chance to explore and listen to many systems from both mainstream and small brands including tubes from JJ Electronics but this accuphase amplifier simply blew my mind.

For past few years I wasnt happy with listening, it almost made me think I was becoming deaf using yamaha but I wasn't.
After this breakthrough Accuphase experience I ditched all my yamaha gear to ebay, sold it and partially recouped money I paid for accuphase.

Few weeks later i plugged still boxed E370 after completing build of 2nd system and I enjoy it as much as e260.
I purchased and installed AD50 photo cards on each one plus DA50 card in 2nd slot of the E370. The build was complete.

I consider to be fortunate to own piece of Accuphase, because for the sound it produces it is worth every penny.
What I am trying to say is, you don't have to be awfully rich to own Accuphase. Just be patient, very patient and you will be rewarded.

Best audio investment I did in my life.

Currently I am patiently waiting for DG58 deal, not easy to find but friendly Japanese ebayer is helping me to locate one and get a good deal on one of those equalizers.
I don't expect much of improvements with DG58, also because I reached my nirvana with just what I have. I want DG more because of my curiocity. And by the way also because being seasoned electronics design engineer happen to own bunch of lab test equipment including audio measurement, I want to plug DG58 into and see "what it really does" besides it's spec sheet.

Go and get Accuphase, you won't regret it. Whether you buy 2nd hand used or having pocket deep enough to buy new one.

My 1st system with E260
Screenshot_20210626-094446_Gallery.jpg

And my 2nd with E370
Screenshot_20210626-094517_Gallery.jpg

I use Jamo D830 with 1 and D870 with 2.

Cheers.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with buy a used Accuphase integrated is they are always Japanese versions which require a transformer.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I don't see the big problem with a power transformer. For 100V/120V, you can even easily find one off the shelf, unlike 220 to 120 where most of them are actually 240/120. I would just put one in a box on the outside wall. Maybe add some color coded receptacles. My next listening room will likely have 100V, 120V and 220V receptacles so I can just forget about it.

I love the analyzer display on this. That is getting the gears turning.

suavek

The problem with buy a used Accuphase integrated is they are always Japanese versions which require a transformer.

Thanks for the note.
I am not sure if you read my post where I mentioned I am EE for a living.

suavek

Actually, I have multiple voltages capability using couple of these industrial grade programmable AC sources. Each one can generate pure, near to zero distortion sinewave anywhere between 0 to 300VAC and 0 to 100Hz frequency.

glue_20210626_200709.jpg

Attachments

• 20210626_195322.jpg
    20210626_195322.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

suavek

Very nice. Why am I not surprised?

...and each with output capacity of 2kVA. Which is exactly what your variac output capacity is.

suavek

Great video, thanks for sharing.

One significant quote I noted is VP saying:
"Hi End enable user [...] to hear the music exactly the way they feel in their heart."

This statement very well represents company approach to sound reproduction which is directly reflected in their product line. This include tone controls in their integras, AAVA, Loudness (called Tone), sound equalization and voicing (Dg series).
Unlike many low volume HE makers which lack most if not all features including basic treble and bass controls in preamps and integras.

And when it comes to equalization in general it is very important at least to me to have these tool in my disposal as I am well aware about hearing limitations and human ear sensitivy curve as function of frequency and sPL. And that life events always produce wide dynamic and very high volume sound which most of the time is unattainable at home. To me argument of having my treble/bass in 12 o'clock position at all times to reproduce sound "the way producer intended" is not only not applicable with sound volumes below actual life performance but also because even with that, the average listening room acoustics is never close to the venue or recording studio booth. In addition there are other limitations starting from player ending with speakers. That's why equalization is often important element to make music sound like I want it to hear.

In summary, the company philosophy on reproducing the sound is what I share and welcome.
To me it means "To listen music the way I feel it in my heart", not necessarily as sound producer intended. I am not producer after all and obviously may have a different sound taste and its perception.

That's also why I choose Accuphase.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just want the faceplate, meter and color scheme with the haptic feel of the knobs.

But if I have to pay $5k for that, i ain't gonna buy an AC transformer to run the thing on.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing I have to say is that i freakin’ love Accuphase gear, all of it, even when they screw up the balanced io.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I am just going to run something like this in my next room build so it is never an issue.

It is a pain that I may have to run 2 in series to get 220V, but I will do that too if I can't find a 120/220 transformer. Easily pay for the whole thing with one Japanese Accuphase or Chinese Line Magnetic.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The only reason people are buying transformers/AC regeneration to run their Accuphase gear is they are too cheap to buy the gear in their own country.

Accuphase must only sell 100V (fixed) gear in their home market of Japan, but for export, they can sell multivoltage gear which can be configured in each country to the appropriate voltage.

People love a so-called "bargain" so they buy Japanese Accuphase on the domestic 2nd hand market and mess around with transformers. Plenty of dodgy sellers series connect twin transformer 100V amplifiers and sell them to unuspecting audiophiles. Not a good idea.

kevinh

The Accuphase is beautiful equipment. The issue of value is relative. Getting the best of anything is never the most cost effective. There is a place in the world for things built to a high level of quality and is also beautiful to the eye and to the touch. It is a shame that you cannot buy the equipment at the Japanese retail price.
I have a friend who owns an Accupohase preamp for 25 years runs like a watch.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR is full of grumbly skinflints.

Sure is, we’ve become very accustomed to high performing throw away electronics. I’ll probably never buy one but the fact that the human race still makes such visions of over engineered loveliness gives me a warm feeling in inside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom