• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC Review (Headphone)

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmmm. Why do I want to intentionally break a seal? And if so: how much of a seal break is OK? And in general: what is the point in constructing a headphone, which depends on a seal break to work as intended? Possibly a "workaround" for a flawed design?

That's indeed the question. If it needs a breach of seal, then why not build it in via venting anyway - or heck even make them a fully open pair of headphones ? Would there be any inherent limitations to planar headphones for such an approach (I'm not aware of it - after all it seems like some of Stax' newer lambdas have deliberate venting, so...) ?
BTW aren't the pads already fenestrated ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Now can you review a pair of $1 headphones from the dollar store and compare the results to this mess ?

I have a $5.- headphone for you ;)
pulse.png

and a fake beats solo:
fr-fakebeats.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a pair of ”true surround” headphones that give a similar Frankenstein look:
P581-1002-03.jpg

For those wondering, you feed it optical and it has its own decoder/amp it has 5 drivers in the headband send audio down the dual tubes to the ear cups which house the LFE drivers (cups can flip open if you need to head your surroundings):
howitworksblack.gif

Me ~10yrs ago thought it was cool, probably used them 5 times, not great (sending audio thru tubes does not do wonders for sound quality).
That is soooo strange! :p
Users report that in order to "fix" the scooped out mids of this headphone you have to use the SC/toe cable.....I dunno about that..

In one of their videos they talk about how they have their own "abyss flat" target response.
Ha!
Honestly, I dont think they have a target. In a video on cables Joe talks about tuning things by ears. That was cables, but I'm sure that philosphy applied to the headphone as well....who knows.
How the Dickens do you tune cables by ear, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.....it just keeps getting better!:D
They charge $3k for the cables so they will have enough $ to properly engineer the next headphone model.
That's also the next funniest thing I've heard all day! I like the tongue-in-cheek though!
better review than i expected, but the dollar for dollar value is the worst yet and the vendors are encouraging people to spend 3k on a cable to try to fix their horrendously poor voicing out of the box.
That's also very funny in at least 2 ways!
Imagine some person who's not into headphones see you wearing such a headphone.
First he will think it makes you look like a fool.
and when you tell him the price you bought it for, he will think that seems like a foolish decision.
and when he researches about it and sees the graphs on audioscience, all doubt will be removed about you being a complete fool.
and you still haven't told them about the cable yet.
and oh practically you can't really even send it back within 14 days. abyss charge an abnormally huge restocking fee even for a stupid cable just to ward you off from even thinking about it lest you come to your senses right after buying it.

But whoever sent this in is a hero.
Now THAT'S funny..... and quite real! That person is a hero though, we should probably fund the re-stocking fee if it doesn't cost as much as the tow rope!

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forget $4995, why would anyone pay for any headphone over $1000? If you have that kind of disposable income, buying a speaker system is orders of magnitude wiser. What demographic buys these ridiculously expensive headphones? Is it middle aged white men? It has to be people with more money than sense, right?
Definitely men. To the extent wealth and income are correlated with age, probably the median buyer is older than the average man. I would guess mostly men who can afford to drop the cash without much impact on the rest of the budget. Not sure about the race part, but I bet that dimension of the demographic is not siloed as you assume.

Last edited:

ra990

You don't want a seal if you want to measure the way people actually wear these. You don't want too much of a gap either. The earpads should just barely be touching your face, there shouldn't be any pressure at all against your face.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't want a seal if you want to measure the way people actually wear these. You don't want too much of a gap either. The earpads should just barely be touching your face, there shouldn't be any pressure at all against your face.

So you have to balance them on your head like a pile of books? They are probably better for your posture than your ears...

ra990

So you have to balance them on your head like a pile of books? They are probably better for your posture than your ears...
It takes some effort to make them fit and sound right. No doubt about that. However, having owned and heard about 100 different headphones, I can tell you it's worth the effort. These are the most fun sounding headphones I've ever heard.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It takes some effort to make them fit and sound right. No doubt about that. However, having owned and heard about 100 different headphones, I can tell you it's worth the effort. These are the most fun sounding headphones I've ever heard.
Well, it would definitely be interesting for Amir to measure them as you describe the fitment, "just touching". Would be interesting to see the effect on the frequency response tonality & also the peakiness....seems like a hell of way to do it though, you'd think they'd be so much scope for different placement & variation that you'd think it would produce erratic results.

As I noted, I opted for a good seal -- as much as the asymmetrical cups allow. It took fair bit of effort to get it there, adjusting the angle of the cups, width, etc. My trials here are at real-time two frequencies so not a graph. As such they are not saved.

If I have time I will measure with a gap.

ra990

Well, it would definitely be interesting for Amir to measure them as you describe the fitment, "just touching". Would be interesting to see the effect on the frequency response tonality & also the peakiness....seems like a hell of way to do it though, you'd think they'd be so much scope for different placement & variation that you'd think it would produce erratic results.
I have no doubt that it will produce crazy results.

tomtrp

Clealy you can't put a fair price on art :) As much as I dislike this deVice for putting your head in, I understand the business case and the satisfaction it provides to actual customers who are not really critical listeners.

By objective performance measures and reasoning, in any headphones above 1000USD you are paying for economic inefficiencies of low volume niche products, because under ~1000USD you can get most high-tech AirPods Max or plenty top quality dynamic and planar headphones. Even for under 500USD you can get both the build and sound quality. Then with just minor compromises great headphones sell for under 200USD. But people can always dream to have something better... Because you deserve the best and you only live once, right? right?? :)
If people do want the spatial effect plus great tonality with EQ, Sennheiser HD800(s) is actually a good buy. AKG K371 can get near perfect tonality easily with EQ but there is hardly any spatial effect.
With both EQd to Target, I found HD800 is definitely more enjoyable than K371/HD650 like what Amir found in the HD800s review, the only downfall of HD800s is that they don't have the very low distortion in low bass like some low sensitivity planars.
Though Abyss 1266TC is definitely not worth the price and I don't want to defend their poor engineering at all, they have quite low bass and overall distortion at 94dbspl and great spatial effects (better than HE-6 if you believe subjective listening experience) and is able to handle EQ at normal listening level like Amir found in this review, which actually makes the cases for traditional ''audiophiles'' to purchase. But the whole comapny is full of traditional snake oil as well so let the people who are ok with snake oil to pay......:facepalm:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no doubt that it will produce crazy results.
Hmm, well maybe not seeing as you like them so much when worn like that.........in terms of maybe it removes the peakiness in the treble.....but I can see it resulting in wildly different tonality based on the tiniest changes in "just touching" which would throw water on the hope as it would mean an unreliable headphone to wear to get consistent listening results.

leftside

As I noted, I opted for a good seal -- as much as the asymmetrical cups allow. It took fair bit of effort to get it there, adjusting the angle of the cups, width, etc. My trials here are at real-time two frequencies so not a graph. As such they are not saved.

If I have time I will measure with a gap.
I recommend to not measure with a gap, but with a light seal. Just touching. Or even better, follow the video posted above to adjust on your own head to find the adjustment and fit that sounds the best for you. Then see if you can find a similar position and fit for the actual test. For those of us that like these headphones, we find we can adjust the bass, positioning of vocals, etc by making adjustments. There always seems to be a "sweet spot" with different recordings though. Thanks for taking the time to test.

Chuck S

Forum Donor
Amir,

Nice review. Thank you. But I have a question. Why is headphone frequency response compared to a preference curve, when speakers are not? Should we really care whether our headphones sound the way random strangers think they should?

Thanks.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir,

Nice review. Thank you. But I have a question. Why is headphone frequency response compared to a preference curve, when speakers are not? Should we really care whether our headphones sound the way random strangers think they should?

Thanks.

Speakers are considered neutral by the vast majority of people when they produce flat anechoic frequency response, this is a standard that is often sought after and discussed in speakers review, so there is a 'preference curve' for speakers in a way.

as for headphones, the elevated treble is to accommodate for our ear lobes, the elevated bass is to compensate for the lack of physical stimulation (by increasing acoustic stimulation) that you typically experience with speakers with bass.

as for 'the random strangers part', almost everyone in the population likes the treble the way it is in the preference curve.
65% of people prefer the same amount of bass as the preference curve. 22% want a little less 'flat bass', 13% want even more bass.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir,

Thanks.
I think the reason that no target is displayed on the speaker frequency response graphs is that we all know that a flat Anechoic Response is the ideal, so that's easy to visualise on the graphs, so no need to actually draw in the target. However, on headphones the ideal frequency response is certainly not flat and is in fact quite complicated in it's shape in comparison to that of speakers......therefore you have to draw in the target (Harman target) on headphones because otherwise you wouldn't be able to visualise the balance and deviations of the headphones frequency response, you wouldn't be able to put it into perspective. It's clear that not everyone likes or should like the Headphone Harman Curve, but research shows that most people prefer it on average....so it's not unreasonable to use it as a target.....if you didn't use any target it would be very hard to discuss and visualise differences between headphones, whereas with speakers this is very easy.....it's just a visualised flat line on the Anechoic Frequency Response of the speaker.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So Amir, what is your latest opinion on how headphones get great/exaggerated spatial effects like what you experienced with HD800s and 1266TC?
If you can afford them, and don't mind open-back, I would get them. Headphones can be such a compromise compared to speakers. Having these "fun" effects takes enjoyment to another level and is worth it in my book.

Top Bottom