• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About buying 2nd subwoofer, Should they match?

TuKeZ

Hi

I've been wondering about buying a 2nd subwoofer for my mostly movie setup. I already bought myself when starting a Sonus Faber Gravis 1 subwoofer (down firing, closed). Now I'm contemplating 3 options as I'm not quite happy with its performance in movies, but I do somewhat like it when it comes to music as it is not very overpowering.
My room measures 35m^3 and subs would be located next to my tv (~3.5m from viewing distance)

From mostly movies perspectives my options are
1. Buy a 2nd gravis 1
2. Buy svs-pb2000 or some other bass reflex mismatched subwoofer
3. Buy a single monster subwoofer (f.ex svs 4000)

My choices are leaning quite a bit toward 2nd option at the moment, as getting rid of stuff is a big hassle (strikes out option 3 basically). And not sure if 2nd "musical" matching sub would improve my movie experience.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Do you have any kind of EQ or room correction where you can control crossovers, delays, room modes and separate volume?

OP
T

TuKeZ

I have Denon AVR-X2700H

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

I have Denon AVR-X2700H
I don't know that one.

The reason I'm asking is because you'd like to have as much control as possible to proper integrate subs. Especially when they aren't of the same model.

OP
T

TuKeZ

I am able to change volume levels / crossovers / distances (audio delay?) for the subwoofer, and atleast EQ for speakers but no such option for subwoofer(s). I also can't seem to be able to control subwoofers individually (even though i have 2 outputs for LFE).

Last edited:

jsilvela

Your option #3 with the monster sub is to get rid of your current sub and have only one, if I understand right?
There's quite a bit of consensus that having 2 is better than 1, as judicious placement can help dampen room modes.
Another issue where there seems to be agreement is not mixing closed and ported subs.

Integrating 2 subs well, esp. choosing the placement, requires more effort than having 1 powerful one and letting Audyssey do its thing...
But you will find a wealth of information at ASR to help.

OP
T

TuKeZ

>Your option #3 with the monster sub is to get rid of your current sub and have only one, if I understand right?
Yes, you would be correct.

>There's quite a bit of consensus that having 2 is better than 1
Reading about this motivated the question in the first place :)

>Another issue where there seems to be agreement is not mixing closed and ported subs.
Haven't came across this yet. I'll try to look into it.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi!

Welcome to ASR!. Two subwoofers are always better than one but ... Integrating subwoofers is not easy. It is worth the effort, time and money... Could transform your system , if well executed. It will take time and learning.. And I repeat, it is worth it.

I read the specifications of the Gravis of the internet and.. based on the specs I read , not the last word when it comes to subwoofers, especially at that price... but, you already have it. So keep it. And... If you are willing to learn, take some time and get yourself busy and sweating and swearing :)...
Purchase another sealed subwoofer from SVS oe Rythmik, HSU etc... , say a SB2000... and the following:
miniDSP 2x4 HD about $250.oo It is a DSP unit and the Umik-1 (a microphone) about $125.oo. At Amazon or equivalent...
Then download the free REW software.
Come back here and ask questions, the people here will guide you. They will help you transform your system in a much better one, however good it might have appeared before...

Be warned!! This will take time. This will not be easy This will be frustrating. This will ... :)
You get the gist... ;)

But worth the substantial effort, and could be (one of ) the best purchase you would have made toward getting a better system.

Peace.

ozzy9832001

Mine don't match, in size or quality, but even adding the second bootleg one made a huge difference. It's especially prevalent when moving my head while listening to music.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buying mismatched 2nd sub introduces a few variables that you have to take into account: (1) both must be sealed or ported but never mix the two due to port tuning frequency differences - so the second one should be sealed not the SVS PB-2000 (2) which introduces another variable - why such signficant power handling differences? the PB-2000 is more powerful/larger and integrating it with proper level matching is a nightmare, better/easier to get a second Gravis and (3) discount the description of "musical" from your vocabularly because you are introducing an unnecessary factor into your decisionmaking. All competently designed subs are "musical" when properly integrated and used within the parameters of their design objective. Even the best subs can be non-musical when improperly set up!

Lastly, you are not happy with its performance in movies which means you want more low end oomph I take it? So my suggestion is as follows, 2 options:
  1. Get a second matching Gravis and stack it one on top of the other to go lower/louder but 8" drivers still limit how low it can go
  2. Get a larger ported 12" subwoofer and place it nearfield (within 6") of your seating - this will get you maximum movie impact - but when listening to music keep your Gravis and only switch to the nearfield 12" subwoofer when watching movies - you may want to add 0.5 millisecond delay to the nearfield subwoofer to mitigate localization.

Last edited:
OP
T

TuKeZ

@FrantzM
Thanks, currently I'm unable to do any room treatment at least. But I'm interested in RAW as well. :rolleyes:

@ozzy9832001
Thanks for the encouragement!

@Spocko
Thank you for such an in depth answer!

>which introduces another variable - why such signficant power handling differences?
Few reasons: I've heard it's pretty powerful so it would give me the window and sofa shaking experience I'm looking for. I'd now rather overcompensate than go underpowered again. I'd be fine with closed design as well.

> which means you want more low end oomph I take it
Absolutely correct.
> Get a larger ported 12" subwoofer and place it nearfield (within 6") of your seating
This would be ideal but unfortunately not an option :(. 2nd gravis would fit near the watching spot but I don't think I would trust another gravis :D

Based on the discussions, i should opt for closed sb2000 then.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@TuKeZ

I don't think I mentioned Room Treatment in my post but ..
Concerning different power handling... Not an issue TBH in most situations. You may (will?) need a DSP like the miniDSP 2x4. I suggest it strongly.
I disagree with @Spocko. When well integrated (Not easy, I concede but eminently doable I maintain) subwoofers do not call attention to themselves, if you have to do the dance of removing the sub when listening to music, integration is not optimal. You work your #$$ to integrate your subs and you just listent to a music system with extended frequency response, a joy.
I also would not for 2 Gravis subwoofers,

Peace.

OP
T

TuKeZ

Apologies, I jumped bit to conclusions as my mental image connects RAW with room treatments!

I will add DSP to the list though!

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will add DSP to the list though!
I am able to change volume levels / crossovers / distances (audio delay?) for the subwoofer, and atleast EQ for speakers but no such option for subwoofer(s). I also can't seem to be able to control subwoofers individually (even though i have 2 outputs for LFE).
If you are planning to have 2 subwoofers, you may want to consider upgrading to the miniDSP DDRC-88A with multi-sub optimizer which has all the features you need

I would not attempt to control each sub individually unless you're running a true multi-sub optimizer like Dirac Live Multi-Sub Bass Control - it would be easier to use a y-splitter as shown with the miniDSP DDRC-88A above.

Willem

Major Contributor
We don't know how this ended - if it did. My advice would have been a second sealed sub such as the SB2000 classic, plus REW/MSO into a miniDSP 2x4HD for dsp room eq. If you don't fancy the hard work, look into the DSpeaker Antimode X2 for the room eq part.

Top Bottom