• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

capt.s

It'd be interesting to see how these 7 tweeter arrays measure that are used on a variety of Tekton Design speakers. The impact monitor aren't too big.
1582562967599.png

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You know how tricky it is to lift this massive, tall and very slippery speaker up 5 feet to put it on the measurement platform that is currently only 6 inches square? If you were me, would you risk $12,000 to satisfy your members?

Oh, sheesh! Men do all sorts of crazy stuff, including spending well over 12k, to satisfy their members.

mhardy6647

Major Contributor

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Since even the expensive AVRs are testing poorly, the just reviewed Emotiva RMC-1 being the latest example, how about looking at inexpensive AVRs, provided they have full line-outs. The idea being that - just perhaps - the pre-amp/HDMI sections and perhaps even the rudimentary Room EQ provided will be acceptable, and can be supplemented with a $100 DAC if necessary, and by supplemental amps if needed for Front, or any of the other channels.

A candidate for this would be the $399 Onkyo TX-RZ820:
Onkyo TX-RZ820 THX-Certified 7.2-Channel 4K Network A/V Receiver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VF518B/

kniff

XTZ Spirit 4 bookshelfs!

xtz34.png

I got these a month back and find them very good for the price, i e-mailed XTZ and mentioned that they should get in contact with you regarding their other stuff as well (they have an icepower-based amp etc)

D700

Not currently.
Is there a wiki or FAQ thread on what gear you want to review and getting it to you for review? I'll be shopping for new listening room over the next year, looking at ATC line. Also looking to buy the new Marantz PM7000N for a bedroom setup, if you'd be interested.

franspambot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would love to see a comparison of two properly mounted turntable cartridges from two different price points. I understand that this a fantasy request. But, Amir, if you have a turntable fanatic friend, this could be a really fun weekend project.

pozz

Data Ordinator
Forum Donor
Editor
I would love to see a comparison of two properly mounted turntable cartridges from two different price points. I understand that this a fantasy request. But, Amir, if you have a turntable fanatic friend, this could be a really fun weekend project.
I would bother @SIY for that;). If you have a chance, look up his reviews here.

SIY

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
I would bother @SIY for that;). If you have a chance, look up his reviews here.

I'm embarrassed to admit that after a year here in AZ, I still haven't unpacked and repaired my turntables. I am further embarrassed to admit that after the latest equipment upgrades, I have seriously thought, "This might be my last stereo," which only increases my ennui with phono...

If I can sell off something (e.g., my black Ittok LVII) to fund it, I'll pick up a working SP10 and do some actual mounted cartridge measurements with the gorgeous Technics EPA-100 that @JPJ loaned me. I have several test records and more than adequate measurement capability.

JP

If you’ll measure some carts I may send you a MK3.

JP

Oooooohhhhhh!!!!!! Well, you know I have the base and arm...

You should send me one of your MKII. I’ve two here for refurb. Hell of a lot easier to repair with a working example to compare with. I wouldn’t need the PSU or platter.

Whenever I measure cartridges, I feel it’s more telling of the test record than the cartridge, assuming the cartridge isn’t pathological.

SIY

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
You should send me one of your MKII. I’ve two here for refurb. Hell of a lot easier to repair with a working example to compare with. I wouldn’t need the PSU or platter.

Whenever I measure cartridges, I feel it’s more telling of the test record than the cartridge, assuming the cartridge isn’t pathological.

It does tell a lot about setup, and with MMs, a lot about the preamp input impedance. And there are indeed a lot of pathological cartridges out there, especially in the loftier price ranges.

Let me see if I can find one of my MKII in the garage.

Hifihedgehog

Barefoot Footprint. Every recording engineer seems to encounter information about it as the definitive “end game” for compact monitors day in and day out. It would be insightful to hear where it falls in line compared to the rest of the world of speakers. That sentiment should help clarify just how much the hype is actually worth its salt or if it is just FOTM or marketing bull.

tknx

Barefoot Footprint. Every recording engineer seems to encounter information about it as the definitive “end game” for compact monitors day in and day out. It would be insightful to hear where it falls in line compared to the rest of the world of speakers. That sentiment should help clarify just how much the hype is actually worth its salt or if it is just FOTM or marketing bull.

I'd love to see a bunch of monitors reviewed - ATCs, HEDDs, Neumann KHs, and Barefoots would be an awesome face-off.

Everyone raves about Triangle BR03s, but typically Triangles measure poorly, so would be interesting to see why.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
,AVRs with 7.1 analog inputs, as well as outputs.. Such as:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010FH2J9W/

This allows use internal amplifiers with DSP preprocessing (miniDSP, DSP-408, etc.) when acceptable (HT surround, etc.) As well as external amp when necessary.

Seem to be mostly current and video-obsolete Marantz...

Top Bottom