• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
any speaker by Neumann
any of Genelec "The Ones"
KEF LS50/LSX
A Neumann is coming. KEF is available locally but I need to sync up with the person. So far no Genelec.

Johnb

PSB Alpha P5. Has NRC and Stereophile measurements, would be a good way to check your evolving process. Also, Paul Barton talks about his design process / tradeoffs for this line in an article somewhere.

Snarfie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some amplifiers (classics) that where or are highly praised an compared to other brands that cost double or more. Like the NAD C370 intergrated amp.

Last edited:
I'm morbidly curious as to how a pair of mini Maggies would do, and have a spare pair boxed up. How would their dipole nature mess with the measurement rig? I haven't fully read through the speaker measurement post/thread so I'm not sure if that's already been accounted for. For that matter, how would one measure the mini Maggie satellites and DWM woofer as a system? Just kind of eyeball "yeah, that placement seems about ok,"?

Here are two suggestions of speaker, that have just come to market, one active, one passive, both fairly priced and offering an interesting combination of technologies and looks. IMHO ASR would bring the greatest value to the business by identifying a great sounding (and decent looking) speaker for around 1000 USD/pair. That would be something to recommend to friends and family without hesitation.

The Tannoy Gold 8, active, coaxial two-way with an 8 inch midwoofer and better looks than just about every other active monitor, 770 USD/pair

The Wharfedale Evolution 4.2, passive three-way system with an AMT tweeter and a dome midrange (the only manufacturer I know of to employ such a design along with ATC and Coin Audio (which seemingly has gone out of business)), <1000 USD/pair

EDIT: Another interesting candidate would be whatever the newest model of Martin Logans Motion Bookshelf speaker is. Those always sounded fantastic to me for the money.

franspambot

Forum Donor
I know Amir doesn't really review car audio, but, man, would one Rockford Fosgate amplifier review be a bang for the buck (review wise).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Here are two suggestions of speaker, that have just come to market, one active, one passive, both fairly priced and offering an interesting combination of technologies and looks. IMHO ASR would bring the greatest value to the business by identifying a great sounding (and decent looking) speaker for around 1000 USD/pair. That would be something to recommend to friends and family without hesitation.

The Tannoy Gold 8, active, coaxial two-way with an 8 inch midwoofer and better looks than just about every other active monitor, 770 USD/pair

The Wharfedale Evolution 4.2, passive three-way system with an AMT tweeter and a dome midrange (the only manufacturer I know of to employ such a design along with ATC and Coin Audio (which seemingly has gone out of business)), <1000 USD/pair

EDIT: Another interesting candidate would be whatever the newest model of Martin Logans Motion Bookshelf speaker is. Those always sounded fantastic to me for the money.
These are indeed very interesting. The Tannoys are absolute phantoms when it comes to reviews.

EB1000

The NAD C658 bluos DAC Preamp, has received so many positive reviews, and I'd love to see how it really performs. I own it, and after the Node 2i review, I'm starting to think that the C658 is going to suck big time, as I can barely notice any audible difference when I compare it to my Denon X4400H AVR...

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/nad-c-658

https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/...iews/107-nad-classic-c658-bluos-streaming-dac

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kIg1vO7A6Gc/p_745C658/NAD-C-658.html

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/nad-c-658-dac

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3038854-official-nad-c658-thread.html

Thanks

Topping Mk. 20 tripath baby amp.

Like many others I bought a Sonic Impact t-amp when they appeared and then a Lepai, gave those to the kids and bought a Dayton 120 DTA which I thought would be the same , but with better parts.
First one was DOA, second one I kept but it needed RCA resoldering repair .
Noisy pot with noticeable channel imbalance too.

Anyway , the Topping is the best one by far in every way and still working.
I have the box it came in and when I can find it would like to send it to Amir for measuring to see if my ears are somewhat correct

LUMIN streamers:
Compare DACs across their price scale from high-mid-low: X1, T2, D2.
Then compare just the network streaming transport (digital out) and include their streamer-only units (no DAC): U1 vs U1 Mini.

;-)

I’m really curious about measured differences between AES/EBU and USB on their U1 and U1 Mini.

LightninBoy

Forum Donor
Top Bottom