• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Since even the expensive AVRs are testing poorly, the just reviewed Emotiva RMC-1 being the latest example, how about looking at inexpensive AVRs, provided they have full line-outs. The idea being that - just perhaps - the pre-amp/HDMI sections and perhaps even the rudimentary Room EQ provided will be acceptable, and can be supplemented with a $100 DAC if necessary, and by supplemental amps if needed for Front, or any of the other channels.

A candidate for this would be the $399 Onkyo TX-RZ820:
Onkyo TX-RZ820 THX-Certified 7.2-Channel 4K Network A/V Receiver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VF518B/

kniff

XTZ Spirit 4 bookshelfs!

xtz34.png

I got these a month back and find them very good for the price, i e-mailed XTZ and mentioned that they should get in contact with you regarding their other stuff as well (they have an icepower-based amp etc)

D700

Not currently.
Is there a wiki or FAQ thread on what gear you want to review and getting it to you for review? I'll be shopping for new listening room over the next year, looking at ATC line. Also looking to buy the new Marantz PM7000N for a bedroom setup, if you'd be interested.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I would love to see a comparison of two properly mounted turntable cartridges from two different price points. I understand that this a fantasy request. But, Amir, if you have a turntable fanatic friend, this could be a really fun weekend project.
I would bother @SIY for that;). If you have a chance, look up his reviews here.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I would bother @SIY for that;). If you have a chance, look up his reviews here.

I'm embarrassed to admit that after a year here in AZ, I still haven't unpacked and repaired my turntables. I am further embarrassed to admit that after the latest equipment upgrades, I have seriously thought, "This might be my last stereo," which only increases my ennui with phono...

If I can sell off something (e.g., my black Ittok LVII) to fund it, I'll pick up a working SP10 and do some actual mounted cartridge measurements with the gorgeous Technics EPA-100 that @JPJ loaned me. I have several test records and more than adequate measurement capability.

JP

Major Contributor
If you’ll measure some carts I may send you a MK3.

JP

Major Contributor
Oooooohhhhhh!!!!!! Well, you know I have the base and arm...

You should send me one of your MKII. I’ve two here for refurb. Hell of a lot easier to repair with a working example to compare with. I wouldn’t need the PSU or platter.

Whenever I measure cartridges, I feel it’s more telling of the test record than the cartridge, assuming the cartridge isn’t pathological.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You should send me one of your MKII. I’ve two here for refurb. Hell of a lot easier to repair with a working example to compare with. I wouldn’t need the PSU or platter.

Whenever I measure cartridges, I feel it’s more telling of the test record than the cartridge, assuming the cartridge isn’t pathological.

It does tell a lot about setup, and with MMs, a lot about the preamp input impedance. And there are indeed a lot of pathological cartridges out there, especially in the loftier price ranges.

Let me see if I can find one of my MKII in the garage.

H

Hifihedgehog

Barefoot Footprint. Every recording engineer seems to encounter information about it as the definitive “end game” for compact monitors day in and day out. It would be insightful to hear where it falls in line compared to the rest of the world of speakers. That sentiment should help clarify just how much the hype is actually worth its salt or if it is just FOTM or marketing bull.

tknx

Barefoot Footprint. Every recording engineer seems to encounter information about it as the definitive “end game” for compact monitors day in and day out. It would be insightful to hear where it falls in line compared to the rest of the world of speakers. That sentiment should help clarify just how much the hype is actually worth its salt or if it is just FOTM or marketing bull.

I'd love to see a bunch of monitors reviewed - ATCs, HEDDs, Neumann KHs, and Barefoots would be an awesome face-off.

Everyone raves about Triangle BR03s, but typically Triangles measure poorly, so would be interesting to see why.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
,AVRs with 7.1 analog inputs, as well as outputs.. Such as:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010FH2J9W/

This allows use internal amplifiers with DSP preprocessing (miniDSP, DSP-408, etc.) when acceptable (HT surround, etc.) As well as external amp when necessary.

Seem to be mostly current and video-obsolete Marantz...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading the review of the Niles SI-275 amplifier, a good, robust commercial product, I thought about OSD, an American (HQ in SoCal) company with the typical China-based manufacturing that I see pop up occasionally in my searches for things audio on the internet. Unfortunately, for 9 of the 10 product choices of their consumer amps listing at Amazon, 20% of the 103 review/ratings over a 10-year period are one-star, mostly for DOA and quickly dying products - and there are several such ratings in the past year.

However, one product on that page - the "OSD Audio 240W 5-Channel Home Theater Amplifier – Digital Class H System, XA5180" - for which the first rating was one year ago, has a separate review/ratings listing, with mostly 4 and 5 star, for both USA and international ratings. A couple of ASR members have posted that they own this amp and like it. The XA5180 is a 5-channel amplifier with balanced XLR plus unbalanced RCA inputs. It is an energy-efficient Class-H amp (a Class-AB variant that uses lower voltage rails unless a higher-level signal is sensed), and is rated for 120w/channel at 8Ω. At a price of $440 with free shipping and a 30 day return policy, it appears to be a good candidate for Amir to measure and review.

OSD-XA5180-Back.jpg

OSD-XA5180-Internal.jpg

================================

But I'm not getting my hopes up for Amir to ever test their 234lb monster X11 amplifier with it's 600wpc@4Ω...

OSD Theatro X11.jpeg

tknx

I think some of the OSD amps are the same as the Dayton MAs (which I use for unimportant whole house audio zones). They seem okay but I admit I haven't done any listening with them and I fully plan on building some 12 channel Hypex or Purifi amps to replace them eventually.

Silly Valley

Forum Donor
With poor AVR LSI performance measurements and the growing interest in HT Bypass, I would like to see the Parasound P6 Pre and 200 Integrated which IMO have better HT Bypass function implementation than most products.

Parasound's approach includes bypass input for the 2 L,R channels as well as for the sub output from an AVR/Processor and adjustable analog bass management for those who are so inclined. The P6 functions in Bypass mode by default when powered off to simplify things. Also interested how the Class D Pascal amps in the integrated measure up. While the Dacs may not be top flight, I would accept 'good enough'. You can always add an outboard DAC but the functionality looks appealing. These units could help in simplifying HT Bypass and Bass management which with most other producst are going to require some sort of work around or additional boxes to implement correctly. The Hint 6 and 200 Pre take similar approaches.

200.jpg

p6.jpg

GeorgeWalk

With poor AVR LSI performance measurements and the growing interest in HT Bypass, I would like to see the Parasound P6 Pre and 200 Integrated which IMO have better HT Bypass function implementation than most products.

Parasound's approach includes bypass input for the 2 L,R channels as well as for the sub output from an AVR/Processor and adjustable analog bass management for those who are so inclined. The P6 functions in Bypass mode by default when powered off to simplify things. Also interested how the Class D Pascal amps in the integrated measure up. While the Dacs may not be top flight, I would accept 'good enough'. You can always add an outboard DAC but the functionality looks appealing. These units could help in simplifying HT Bypass and Bass management which with most other producst are going to require some sort of work around or additional boxes to implement correctly. The Hint 6 and 200 Pre take similar approaches.

View attachment 54417

View attachment 54414

I vote for Parasound also. I have the 200 Pre and the 275 v2 amp.

Top Bottom