• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

mhardy6647

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mentioned before? Dayton 652 AIR with AMT tweeter, 6.5" woofer - for $22..
I have a pair here, bone stock, if anyone's really, seriously interested in these gettin' measured.
I don't think they sound very good, even given the very low sale price I paid for 'em. The AMT tweeter was pretty palatable to my sexagenarian ears, though)

DSC_0604 (3)
by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0610 (2)
by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm morbidly curious as to how a pair of mini Maggies would do, and have a spare pair boxed up. How would their dipole nature mess with the measurement rig?
It shouldn't mess with it but won't know until we try it. :) How big is it (width/height)?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a pair here, bone stock, if anyone's really, seriously interested in these gettin' measured.
It wouldn't be worth the shipping cost back and forth unless you are offering to donate them to the forum. :) Then yes, I am interested in measuring them.

Anyone planning a road-trip from Vermont to Washington?

(The guy's sons do the video editing and love to troll on him with the title screen.)

mhardy6647

It wouldn't be worth the shipping cost back and forth unless you are offering to donate them to the forum. :) Then yes, I am interested in measuring them.
Not sure the forum would want 'em -- but I shall take that under advisement!

It shouldn't mess with it but won't know until we try it. :) How big is it (width/height)?
The Mini Maggie satellites are officially listed at 14"x9.5"x1.25", which doesn't take the foot plate into account. The bass panel come in at 19.25"x22.5"x1.5", same caveat. The bass panel has some kind of crossover/hpf, but I have dabbled with running straight into the satellites and they didn't blow up, for what it's worth.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
TAD-CE1 speaker. I once found this speaker to sound absolutely amazing at a HIF-show. It would be interesting to see if that is corresponding to stellar objective measurements, or if I was just in a good mood :)
This is a "compact" speaker.

Snarfie

Forum Donor
Vandersteen model 1B speakers must be a pair around the corner or nearby Amirm. Any forum member that have one to measure?.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Subwoofers....
I am especially interested in servo subwoofers like Velodyne and Rythmik versus more conventional designs.

Also small cheap ones ”good enough”. I am looking for extra balancing subs, possibly one up in the ceiling level, just to smooth room resonances a bit, like Earl Geddes approach.

Billy Budapest

Forum Donor
ECP Audio T4 headphone amplifier looks very interesting. It’s a tube/transistor hybrid design.

http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=193

Its measurements could be very interesting considering the circuit topology and the claims made in the ad copy:

“For those of you familiar with ECP Audio designs, the T4 is a tube-fed DSHA amplifier!

Why a fully differential circuit but single-ended on the output?

Answer: Because circuit/device distortion is fully cancelled out by the solid-state output portion of the circuit. At the same time, combining the solid-state output with the tubes results in more power than would be available simply from the tubes. The output transformers assist with this, ensuring that ample current and voltage are available, regardless of the impedance of the load.”

3DD9A0FC-B996-4042-BD5E-D684CCE5E3AC.jpeg

Veri

Major Contributor
ECP Audio T4 headphone amplifier looks very interesting. It’s a tube/transistor hybrid design.

http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=193

Its measurements could be very interesting considering the circuit topology and the claims made in the ad copy:

“For those of you familiar with ECP Audio designs, the T4 is a tube-fed DSHA amplifier!

Why a fully differential circuit but single-ended on the output?

Answer: Because circuit/device distortion is fully cancelled out by the solid-state output portion of the circuit. At the same time, combining the solid-state output with the tubes results in more power than would be available simply from the tubes. The output transformers assist with this, ensuring that ample current and voltage are available, regardless of the impedance of the load.”

View attachment 48302
Well, the 3F was measured on SBAF https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...cp-audio-dsha-3f-technical-measurements.7509/ considering it is the solid state version of the T4, the latter one will probably perform ((even)) worse,

I mean these amps are powerful so they'll surely sound good with most headphones. But those output transformers are really little distortion machines. Pleasing, maybe, but distortion all the same.

Billy Budapest

Forum Donor
Well, the 3F was measured on SBAF https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...cp-audio-dsha-3f-technical-measurements.7509/ considering it is the solid state version of the T4, the latter one will probably perform ((even)) worse,

I mean these amps are powerful so they'll surely sound good with most headphones. But those output transformers are really little distortion machines. Pleasing, maybe, but distortion all the same.
That’s an interesting mix of very good and not so good measurements.

Billy Budapest

Forum Donor
Loxjie P20. I predict this hybrid amp will measure poorly but I am sure many people will be curious how it stacks up. I know it’s made by the same company as SMSL and Sabaj. It has gotten a certain amount of notoriety because of the super low price and handsome looks in a spartan way.

Last edited:

vavan

Parasound gear:
New Classic 200 PreAmp (has a Burr-Brown DAC in it)
Model 275 v2 Amplifier
also parasound halo integrated with ess 9018 dac that sounds not much worse than 9038 in oppo 205 for me

Bhh

Forum Donor
It's probably been mentioned but I think there is a sweet spot in the lower-to-mid end of the "premium" brands. I say this because the people who shop in the Magnolia Room for example, are more likely to care about this stuff than the regular Best Buy consumer. The market for the super high-end audiophile equipment just isn't that deep so how many people are really benefiting?

Along these lines- Bowers & Wilkins, Bose, Sonos, Klipsch, Rotel, Marantz, McIntosh, etc. are where I think the most consumers will truly benefit.

Top Bottom