• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A RedZone DAC that's much better subjectively sounding than a BlueZone DAC?!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The OP is trying to trick us into either "admitting" something "embarrassing" or accidentally contradicting ourselves (in his twisted interpretation). In short, he's a troll and a poor one at that.
Yes is all a load of attention seeking bollocks and yes some self edifying trickery.

I did try to point this out further up stream lol

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Asylum Seeker

What kind of community does our inquisitive friend with the tough questions preside over? Here is a recent survey. Perhaps he should asking the tough questions on his home turf. Just sayin'!

Screenshot_20200527_192833_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
The OP is constrained in his responses by his 'image' on his own forum.

Wombat

Master Contributor
There is a population vs hearing sensitivity curve. It is amazing how many untested individuals on audio forums claim to be on the exceptional side.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a population vs hearing sensitivity curve. It is amazing how many untested individuals on audio forums claim to be on the exceptional side.
Especially if they have spent $000 on audio equipment.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I can add an example of a DAC being rated in yellow (right next to a Red. Pls see attached image), and how subjective opinion is also given by Mr. Amir (which is usually ignored when ASR is referred to, on other websites).
I own and use this device (before I read ASR reviews). But the attached image is not the the review. The review is the review. I am interested, so I read the complete review patiently (my knowledge level - terms like THD sounds like medical terms to me. It took me months to grasp SINAD [higher, better. Thanks, sir :) ]). This makes me smile:

"The DACPort HD makes you almost forget you are generating music out of this little box."

"I have gotten many requests to review the CEntrance DACPort HD and have not had time to review it until now. It is a shame because this is one performant thumb-drive sized USB DAC and Headphone amp. It powers headphones that normally would require desktop DAC and Amps. It doesn't put those products to shame but does with other small devices. Its features such as dual gain settings and perfect channel balance nicely add to the equation. As such, the DACPort HD gets my recommendation for this class of devices. "

With a caveat, Mr. Amir recommends for this class of devices. In this case, I'd say to myself - Take the subjective part of the opinion and buy it (portability, etc), or or take the readings alone, and buy something else. I don't see any red in Mr. Amir's reviews, at least.

Note - Off topic, but I wrote a longish post because I read some nasty comments about ASR and Mr. Amir on Drop website (comments' section somewhere). Some of us might be dumb audio-science wise, but not common sense wise.
I'll repeat myself: the colors indicate percentiles and NOT a fixed grading. I know, because I made that chart.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Thanks a ton for the effort. I am still getting familiar with the site, though I have browsed reviews. Though I missed out on the point you mentioned, the chart is very helpful. I came across (and might buy) SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2 (USB/RCA) first on this chart. It's a great reference point to dig further.
SINAD should be the starting point, generally speaking SINAD indicates there is some basis for good performance. But there are still many things that can go wrong. For example, SINAD is measured at 1khz, so if the DAC messes up at other frequencies (for example a steep roll-off after 5khz) it wouldn't show in the SINAD score. If SINAD is bad, the rest is probably also bad, if SINAD is good the product might be worth looking at (the other measurements). There is some correlation between getting a good SINAD score at 1khz and performing well in other measurements, but that doesn't mean there might be some stinkers here and there.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No one needs to convince me that electronics which would produce mediocre measurements can "sound" better: I've sat in on such demos and "heard" the same "remarkable differences" as everyone else in the room. I have taken part in demos where we convinced EEs that swapping out speaker wires could make a seemingly obvious differences which left them dumbfounded.

But test conditions were not carefully controlled! Only approximate level matching, everything was sighted, and done in the company of peers. None of us appreciated how powerful all of these effects can be.

I currently own 3 DACs, one of which is very good (Benchmark DAC2 HGC), one which is pretty good (Objective DAC) and one which is very inexpensive and would likely fall into the red zone (Behringer UCA202). No way I could distinguish sonic differences between Benchmark and ODAC with any degree of reliability. The Behringer UCA202, I ought to be able to pick out more reliably, because it generates audible noise. But even there, if the noise were masked by ambient noise or program material, things could get tricky. Try listening in an office environment with rumbling HVAC system + white noise generator (yes, HVAC systems employ such devices) and who knows, maybe the UCA202 would really shine.

OP
confucius_zero

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I didn't know this forum encourages personal attacks. It's quite entertaining.

OP
confucius_zero

confucius_zero

For example, SINAD is measured at 1khz, so if the DAC messes up at other frequencies (for example a steep roll-off after 5khz) it wouldn't show in the SINAD score.

Thank you!

Could there then be a SINAD curve that covers the typical FR range?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I didn't know this forum encourages personal attacks. It's quite entertaining.

Then you should continue to enjoy yourself...

Trolls are trolls...once it's clear what they (you) are, they (you) get treated as such.

What an absurd premise to this thread...unless trolling...of course.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Thank you!

Could there then be a SINAD curve that covers the typical FR range?
THD+N (which is SINAD) vs frequency graphs? Looks like this should cover it:
10.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious what the OP uses in his own system.

OP
confucius_zero

confucius_zero

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Full set of dCS components driving Wilson Chronosonic speakers, presumably.
Nope. Pretty decent value stuff (see his signature).

If I don't see any point to make the argue again and again about "poor measuring but maybe sounding better DAC", I either see no reason to mocking the OP any further...

Top Bottom