• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A huge topic of debate? EXPENSIVE SPEAKER STANDS!

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Speaker stands go cheap second hand. It's not like they have parts to go wrong really. Maybe a lick of paint will be required but thats a very minor issue. Here in the uk atacama stands go cheap second hand and they are very solid.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
because under my rug I have parquet floor I prefer not to damage with metal spikes

We have the original hardwood floors, nicely refinished and in great condition for a 95 year old house, and almost no rugs anywhere.
So we also do anything we reasonably can to protect them.

I just use these kinds of pucks.
1616602018350.png

And put the same kind of felt pad on the bottom of them like we do for all of our furniture.
1616602088226.png

I thought about getting some less expensive Iso Acoustics style ones that would screw directly in, and might disappear visually a little more, but never got around to it.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

We have the original hardwood floors, nicely refinished and in great condition for a 95 year old house, and almost no rugs anywhere.
So we also do anything we reasonably can to protect them.

I just use these kinds of pucks.
View attachment 120077
And put the same kind of felt pad on the bottom of them like we do for all of our furniture.
View attachment 120079

I thought about getting some less expensive Iso Acoustics style ones that would screw directly in, and might disappear visually a little more, but never got around to it.

Fantastic stuff guys thank you all so much.

My stuff has arrived and as always nothing is simple - STUPID QUESTION but any advice on NOT bi-wiring? Should my speaker wire go in the top or bottom ? (HF/LF??)

Thank you..

Also these have these silver connectors for if one is not bi-wiring, so I am having to squidge the wire down beside that - seems odd to me.

ATM I have the wire in the HF (top)

EDIT: I found this https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/downloads/qacoustics/Q14765-IS r3 - LOW RES.pdf - jesus that's confusing.... SO I put the positive to the HF and negative to LF basically... for each speaker. ??

Last edited:

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Thank you mate I have no anything except me ;D And a strong desire to save £140..... After I just managed to raise enough for the concept 20 and an amp LOL

Actually the only thing that I am mostly concerned with is the audio quality and that they're not TOO big as I am space limited - so smaller base is actually a positive for me.

I REALLY wish I could demo them next to these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustics-...ncept+20+speaker+stands&qid=1616522306&sr=8-2
I have these, and like them. I modded them to hide the spkr wires. Also filled 1 leg of each one with shot for extra stability. https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Universal-Surround-Speakers-STAND-SP03B/dp/B01MCS2ZLO?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fantastic stuff guys thank you all so much.

My stuff has arrived and as always nothing is simple - STUPID QUESTION but any advice on NOT bi-wiring? Should my speaker wire go in the top or bottom ? (HF/LF??)

Thank you..

Also these have these silver connectors for if one is not bi-wiring, so I am having to squidge the wire down beside that - seems odd to me.

ATM I have the wire in the HF (top)

EDIT: I found this https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/downloads/qacoustics/Q14765-IS r3 - LOW RES.pdf - jesus that's confusing.... SO I put the positive to the HF and negative to LF basically... for each speaker. ??
It does not matter which way you do it, the terminals are connected together with the short wire so act as one. If you want to get paranoid measure the resistance from the cable to the other connector, it should be almost zero.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

It does not matter which way you do it, the terminals are connected together with the short wire so act as one. If you want to get paranoid measure the resistance from the cable to the other connector, it should be almost zero.

Ah CHEERS! Well yeah I did figure that logically but like to consider myself humble enough to assume there may be SOMETHING I do not know! Always best to ask when you've just spent your savings LOL

I basically did it exactly like in the diagram - Positive to HF and Netative to LF for both left and right speaker.

When I first looked at the diagram I was like 'HUH!? Well. OK!?'

DSJR

Major Contributor
A couple of years back, Q Acoustics published on their site the reasons WHY they recommended bi-wiring, yet new models don't 'feature' it at all..

When I sold stuff I put it this way as far as 'differences' went - 25% altering the load slightly as seen by the amp, 25% the amp's reaction to it and 50% extra dealer profit!!!

Buying one run per speaker of slightly thicker gauge was usually better anyway!

Got to say I did approve of bi-amping a passive speaker if it allowed it, but the extra cost was prohibitive as the question only really applied to less expensive gear generally.

P.S. The Linn Kaber speaker had something in the crossover where if the rear terminals were set for single speaker cabling, pushing in the bass driver would cause the mid driver to move too. Disconnecting the terminal links stopped this from happening, so not a mechanical issue.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

A couple of years back, Q Acoustics published on their site the reasons WHY they recommended bi-wiring, yet new models don't 'feature' it at all..

When I sold stuff I put it this way - 25% altering the load slightly as seen by the amp, 25% the amp's reaction to it and 50% extra dealer profit!!!

Buying one run per speaker of slightly thicker gauge was usually better anyway!

Got to say I did approve of bi-amping a passive speaker if it allowed it, but the extra cost was prohibitive as the question only really applied to less expensive gear generally.

Cheers mate I got basic QED 14 AWG 2.5m per channel.... I don't think I'd have squidged in any thicker..

Robh3606

What ever happened to milk crates? Light non resonant plastic that can be mass loaded with LP's ?

DSJR

Major Contributor
If that's 'QED Original' then you're fine. I lost touch with bought cables some years back but recently, I noticed the QED original had slightly thicker jacket to twenty years back, was easier to peel apart and strip back and the copper seemed bright and shiny. 2.5m runs is as nothing really :D

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Cheers mate they looks very similar to the duronic ones. Know anythign about NOT bi wiring? If so perhaps you could check my above post...

I have a set of Q3050 towers. If you run the wires for a stereo connection use the Standard Wiring section>>Standard Wiring diagram as shown in your pdf. If you're using stripped wire(no banana plugs) you can loop the wire behind the silver jumpers or replace the jumpers with short runs of your spkr wire

Last edited:

Foxenfurter

I can second the Atacama stands. I would definitely recommend mass loading over cable management if it is one or the other. I loaded mine 50% with sand to keep a low centre of gravity and blu-tacked the speakers. They never came close to toppling over even with hoards of kids charging around. You can always add some form of cable management afterwards. Second hand on ebay would be a good option.

Brab

The pair of subwoofers I'm now using for my Spendors are the best stands I've ever used, and that's coming from a pair of four column steel sand filled Target stands. And the subwoofers actually do something unlike regular stands that just stand there.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

I have a set of Q3050 towers. If you run the wires for a stereo connection use the Standard Wiring section>>Standard Wiring diagram as shown in your pdf. If you're using stripped wire(no banana plugs) you can loop the wire behind the silver jumpers or replace the jumpers with short runs of your spkr wire

I really appreciate this thanks mate, I am using stripped wire temporarily, for the right channel, I put positive from the amp to positive of the HF speaker and Negative from the AMP to negative LF of the speaker - IS THAT RIGHT? I basically copied the diagram in the PDF I linked - I mean they haven;t blown up yet soooooo :/

And loop behind the silver jumpers? Man I wish I had a clue LOL - in general. MANY YEARS AGO I vowed never to not use banana plugs again - well, oops.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

The pair of subwoofers I'm now using for my Spendors are the best stands I've ever used, and that's coming from a pair of four column steel sand filled Target stands. And the subwoofers actually do something unlike regular stands that just stand there.

I always liked that idea tbh

Top Bottom