• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A decent passive speaker designed to be actively bi-amped?

kenshone

I can't be the only person in this position. I have more amps than I can use, and I want to experience the clarity of active horizontal multi-amping while retaining the mix-and-match "DIY" enjoyment of passive speakers. I realize that I can open up a decent speaker cabinet and take out the passive crossover, but that seems pretty wasteful given that so much of the cost of a passive speaker is in the x-over.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I can't be the only person in this position. I have more amps than I can use, and I want to experience the clarity of active horizontal multi-amping while retaining the mix-and-match "DIY" enjoyment of passive speakers. I realize that I can open up a decent speaker cabinet and take out the passive crossover, but that seems pretty wasteful given that so much of the cost of a passive speaker is in the x-over.
Try the Bryston line. They are active but they need three amps. Amps sold separately. Good luck

OP
K

kenshone

It's unfortunate that they actually charge more for the active variant of the speaker than the passive. I would think the cost of the speaker itself would be greatly reduced because they don't have to include passive x-over's. I guess they're trying to recoup the cost of their 3-way active x-over unit?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
We plan to offer speakers with external crossover and need for external amps of your choice
Hope to release two types within this year.

In of them, it's likely that one can either purchase the speaker with a plate amp or with external DSP/crossover where it will have a cover plate in the rear with a speakon connector.
Below you see it without the cover and amp.
IMG20220318083941.jpg

Obviously the gain of the amps should ideally be the same. While the gain adjustment could be done in the DSP, there's always the chance that the gain will end up being slightly different that way.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
given that so much of the cost of a passive speaker is in the x-over.
Is it?

JBL passive crossover € 125
Rane active crossover € 279
Scan-Speak Revelator 28W/4878T00 Subwoofer € 699,95
Scan-Speak Illuminator D3004/664000 1" Beryllium Dome Tweeter € 459,95
Not to mention the price of building a cabinet.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Actively biamping with a passive crossover defeats the purpose of active biamping.

FeddyLost

JBL 6332 maybe. They can be mono-amped, but often they are used in biamp due to bad impedance.

Top Bottom