• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A case

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I came across what appeared to be a Topping aluminum RC-22 remote control for $18 on eBay. They usually run about $25. Upon closer inspection, the $18 one appears to be a ripoff and is made of ABS plastic with no mention of it being metal anywhere within the description. It does however retain the RC-22 name. Clever and convincing trickery. "Topping" is in the eBay ad title but it doesn't say it's a Topping remote. Anyway, I am posting this just because I thought it curious, and if some people bought this thinking it was the metal version, they'd be mighty upset to get a plastic one. It very nearly fooled me.

The attached pic shows the fake plastic one in the middle with the real metal on the right. Notice the font on both remotes and the missing LED in upper left corner on fake one.

View attachment 313871
Thanks for warning.

Reactions: GPJ

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
tbf the description says:

"New RC-22 Remote Control For TOPPING DX3 PRO+/EX5/D90SE/D70S/E30/E50/D50S/D30"

new remote FOR topping devices

this is a common one

i bought a remote for my Onkyo receiver and the wording was the same...

"New RC-911 Remote FOR Onkyo"

I mean this says it all... the irony of a Chinese company getting faked by another Chinese company... no honor amongst theives I'd say

These things may be using the exact same injection moulds as the real thing... they're just the remote OEM company making some dollars on a vacant shift.

They may used cheaper plastic filler etc. to save a few pennies.

I dont need the true true ORIGINAL remote. As long as it functions the same.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I'm not seeing any fakery, they show images of the original and the replacement that are properly labeled.
They do continue to use the image of the original in other product images, while unethical, it's always up to the buyer to pay attention.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
tbf the fake looks a lot nicer and modern than the real one

the Topping OEM looks like its used to control an evaporative cooler or chinzy xmas lights

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not seeing any fakery, they show images of the original and the replacement that are properly labeled.
They do continue to use the image of the original in other product images, while unethical, it's always up to the buyer to pay attention.
I like the original RC22 because of the haptic of the full metal body. The fake is plastic!

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can report fakes on eBay. Down at the bottom there's a report button and drop-down boxes to select the reason.

JSmith

Master Contributor
fake plastic one in the middle with the real metal on the right.
Yeah it's not appropriate for this "for Topping" remote to actually have their brand name on it, dodgy as. It should not have the logo and should be referred to as "compatible with Topping products".

JSmith

Top Bottom