• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

9" XLR Interconnect Pairs and HD 5xx/6xx 4 Pin XLR Cables

shwncnnlly

Forum Donor
Hi Y'all,

I got hooked on the headphone audio bug and have been a lurker here for a while, just made an account recently. Some of my DIY audio cables and my setup research definitely has had me coming back to ASR. I am decidedly objective, numbers are what matter most to me * <10% THD is fine, really? Runs and hides *.

I found out quickly that audio cables are... hit or miss shall we say and even on amazon the price doesn't "seem right" - 50 or 60 bucks really for some wire? *cringes*. I even learned the word microphonics buying and using an expensive wire...

I thought "hey I can do that"(almost anyone can) for probably half the price if I get setup and have some free time(I have the free time). I bit the bullet and the thought behind me starting / driving force was to create (quality/time spent on each) cables at cost for folks that would use/enjoy them. I built some 9" XLR Interconnect pairs and ordered a bunch of sennheiser replacement cables(didn't actually need to reinvent the wheel for these since they have 4 conductors and are unpluggable so the grounds can be tested via a multimeter continuity test) to convert to balanced 4 Pin XLR.

Long story short, I posted to etsy and ebay heavily undercutting the competition and only putting a few out for sale at once so people didn't "flip" the wires at pure profit(about 200% +). I waited a week or so and nothing... I went to the sites and searched both and I couldn't find my own store or products on either. I should have contacted support to see what was going on - I knee jerked that it was a pay to play via paying for advertising fees to get found, even via their own searches...

I instead thought, the audience that I wanted the products to go to are folks that would appreciate such things. It also felt like I was gonna have to invest to effectively give away cables that are better than mass produced, I just don't have the money and it is missing the point for me(this is a hobby - not a money making business, which those sites are tuned to). I do have an LLC but that was for Independent Contracting as a Software Dev(for about 20 yrs), I digress. Thus this post.

I would like send the few wires I have to folks that would like to try/vet them for the price of just sending them. Then if they are as advertised, ask for the price of materials(prices shown in the bom). It would be an honor system and no obligation for folks who can't afford the materials cost(although nominal for both the pairs of interconnects(like ~21 bucks) and Sennheisers(~17-19 bucks)). I used Neutrik connectors and mogomi 22 awg 2x conductor wire for the interconnects, so don't let the price fool you - they are good quality and I did my research.
3 Pin XLR Interconnect Pair (BOM Attached):
IMG_20200919_215308323.jpg
Converted Sennheiser cable to balanced 4 pin XLR:
IMG_20200922_124111267.jpgIMG_20200922_124215524.jpg
BOM for Sennheiser cable is simple/2 items (~17-19 bucks, again just if you are happy with the product - yes, yes these sell for 50 to 60 dollars):
- Replacement regular Sennheiser cable(top headphone connectors are untouched) ~12-14 bucks with shipping
- Neutrik MXX Black and Gold ~5 bucks(The objective part of me actually doesn't like that the connectors are gold, I assumed they conducted electricity better than copper also thought they were better cause they cost more...). Read later that it goes Gold, Copper then Silver for conductivity, I felt bamboozled by my own assumptions about metals and cost.

I would like to not have this turn into a fire sale of me giving away wires however :)

Any suggestions on where to post this to gently give this system a whirl. I am from MN, but will ship anywhere - I guess that is the only thing I would like as far as cost up front, shipping. If you like the product, if you could pay for the cost of materials it would keep me going - but I am cool with the honor system. If there is a student and/or times are tough, not a problem - I have been there on both accounts so no obligations. Feedback on what you think, positive/negative would be appreciated either way.

Thanks in advance for any Mod or long time user help/feedback on where this post should go or if this is even appropriate on this site.

Thanks and Take Care,
Shawn

Attachments

• 9 inch Balanced Pair XLR (3 Pin) Wires BOM.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 190

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hi Shawn

Anything commercial goes in the desperate dealers section ( iv moved it )

I'm not sure how much interest you will get for ' special ' wires here , most of us have realised good reliable cables are numerous and quite cheap.

Good luck .

OP
shwncnnlly

shwncnnlly

Forum Donor
Ok, that is fair enough - I appreciate the honesty and the move. I am kinda not desperate, but that is fine if it is appropriate. Finding HD 6xx good balanced 4 Pin XLR wires for cheap wasn't a thing for me at least. I kinda don't like that you put 'special' like that, these aren't special other than they are reasonably priced, that is the point.

Thanks for your help and Take Care,
Shawn

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ok, that is fair enough - I appreciate the honesty and the move. I am kinda not desperate, but that is fine if it is appropriate. Finding HD 6xx good balanced 4 Pin XLR wires for cheap wasn't a thing for me at least. I kinda don't like that you put 'special' like that, these aren't special other than they are reasonably priced, that is the point.

Thanks for your help and Take Care,
Shawn
They do look good!

Top Bottom