• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 182 82.7%

• Total voters

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I note the Salnotes zero is available also with mic (probably not so exciting) but also with USB-C. Would anyone know if the DAC / amp in that version is decent?

Also, is the Zero 2 available yet? Amazon.de, Aliexpress, Linsoul, Shenzenaudio do not yet carry it.

I believe Linsoul are selling it exclusively (apart from Crinacle's own shop in Singapore) at launch... https://www.linsoul.com/products/7hz-x-crinacle-zero-2

You should also be able to purchase via Linsoul's Amazon stores...

1702128978232.png

However, you pay a premium, at least in the UK - $24.99 = £19.92, but Amazon UK price is £25.99 and I don't think you get it any quicker for this. I ordered directly from the Linsoul store - wondering if it will ever turn up it part of the fun! (that's a joke, i'm sure it will!)

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I note the Salnotes zero is available also with mic (probably not so exciting) but also with USB-C. Would anyone know if the DAC / amp in that version is decent?

Also, is the Zero 2 available yet? Amazon.de, Aliexpress, Linsoul, Shenzenaudio do not yet carry it.
They are in stock on Amazon US.

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I ordered on day of launch from Linsoul and it arrived 8 days later

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered my 2nd unit with USB-C but did not like it very much to be honest. Right now typing this listening to the 7Hz Zero + Meizu CS43131, way better, a shame it was discontinued...

mc.god

nozzle is too short, it keeps falling out of my ears no matter what tips I use. Got the zero reds... nozzle to long. If you're in the market for iems don't look at graphs, look at nozzle length and diameter.
For me it's more the combination of nozzle length and angle with the inner shape of the iem, plus the 2pin connectors type of the cable. I probably have ear canals going upward more than average people and I have to rotate the iem so the nozzle points more upward, and can't do it enough with angled connectors that hook to my ears too early.
The qdc type to be clear:
51CZxjfADzL._AC_SY450_.jpg

So I exclude from potential purchase every iem with angled connectors cable (even if i can swap it with other cable) since don't like paying part of the cost for a cable I know I can't use.
7Hz lately use long and gently angled connectors and luckily they are perfectly ok for me, Zero and Sonus fit very nicely even for long sessions.
Anyway during last black Friday offers I took the chance and bought this nice modular cable with all the 3 type of analog plugs (3,5, 2.5, 4.4) for just 12€, just to have an alternative .
TRN T2 Pro

But in the end, since fitting is always hit or miss with iems, I always purchase them only where I can easily return them without hassle.

Jave

I am really interested to see how the new Moondrop MAY IEMs will also fair. Not as cheap (65$) but they promise a lot and come with built in USB-C DSP

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am really interested to see how the new Moondrop MAY IEMs will also fair. Not as cheap (65$) but they promise a lot and come with built in USB-C DSP
I am really curious to see measurements of those built-into-the-cable DSPs. Personally, I doubt they will have the necessary processing power to implement a proper DSP that would be good enough for a decent EQ.

Jave

I am really curious to see measurements of those built-into-the-cable DSPs. Personally, I doubt they will have the necessary processing power to implement a proper DSP that would be good enough for a decent EQ.
According to what I saw on youtube, seems like you have only 9-10 bands, all are peaks, no shelves etc. (no gain limit to avoid clipping, and only a limited range per band)
Overall, quite limited and better use another app, like Poweramp.
I am interested to see whether the IEMs and DSP stand to the test and achieve the specs they claim. They didn't note at what volume they measured the IEMs THD.

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm frankly planning to leave the cable in the box, provide my own DSP solution using the 2-pin connector as analog output. Not because I don't trust the DSP implementation, but because that's the signal path I always have. To me there's enough of a pull factor on account of the driver config.

Jave

Question is whether their default FR is the same without the DSP or whether it is involved, like Audeze had back then when they just released their first planar IEMs (Sine 10/20)

markanini

Major Contributor
Question is whether their default FR is the same without the DSP or whether it is involved, like Audeze had back then when they just released their first planar IEMs (Sine 10/20)
Unknown until someone measures it. Here's the Voyager to illustrate what's needed:
1702146224299.png

Madlop26

I have the 7 Hz Salnotes,Truthear Crinacle Zero Red, Thieaudio Monarch MKII (wide range of prices) and I have done AB testing multiple times using Harman songs, and doing it again while writing this, my personal conclusion:
No meaningful difference.
All 3 sound excellent, but as most of time I think the Monarch has...let's see.....little more refined sound??, also you can push volume in a heavy sub bass song and your head feels to start to shake with the Monarch, something you don't feel much with the other too; I know, I know, could be just cognitive bias, but blind testing is almost impossible to do as you can feel which one is inserted. The Salnotes does have a little better sub bass than the Zero blue tough, I do not have the Zero red but probably the sub bass is as great as the Salnotes
When I want to listen to music with IEMs I still prefer my Monarch, the craftsmanship and premium look add to the experience. Is the price difference worth it?, I guess for 99% is not.
If I had to buy IEMs again, I would not choose the Salnote, looks too cheap, and flimsy, probably I would go for another Harman complain IEM with low distortion like the Crinacle Red (actually bought one for a dear old friend and he was blown away), but I know I would be missing my Monarch, probably I would end up buying it again, lol.

Ericgeers

Read the review last evening, ordered them on Amazon last night and they just arrived. Hurraaay!
Finally IEM's that even fit my rather narrow ear canals :) The Truthear x Crinacle Zero alas did not..
I really love these, everything i have played sofar sounds great! I ordered the orange ones:p

SteveL

According to what I saw on youtube, seems like you have only 9-10 bands, all are peaks, no shelves etc. (no gain limit to avoid clipping, and only a limited range per band)
Overall, quite limited and better use another app, like Poweramp.
I am interested to see whether the IEMs and DSP stand to the test and achieve the specs they claim. They didn't note at what volume they measured the IEMs THD.
This trend strikes me as a solution in search of a problem.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This trend strikes me as a solution in search of a problem.
I disagree... This is off-topic, but these DSP-enabled cables (e.g. Moonfrop FreeDSP, CDSP) & IEMs (e.g. Moondrop JIU, May, Tanchjim Zero, One, Tanya) bring 2 things:
  • The increasingly ubiquitous USB-C connection.
  • An option to personalize your own "target" for a particular IEM through the companion app.
Take the new Moondrop May mentioned in the previous posts as an example: the app offer 5x presets (including "Harman") and EQ (not sure how many bands, but I assume it will be 9-bands, like the FreeDSP cable):

IMG_1224.jpg

So now, you have a base to start from (e.g. Harman target), you can add your own personal corrections (9-bands EQ)... and you can then forget about targets, DSP... and enjoy your music on an IEM personalized to your taste!
Yes, the Moondrop app is not the greatest; yes there are limitations with the DSP settings; and yes, the measurements are not the greatest either (by ASR standards)--see FreeDSP measurements at Headphones.com: https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/moondrop-free-dsp-review-measurements (Audio Precision analyzer).
The Moondrop CDSP cable and Tanchjim IEMs have an even more limited 5-band EQ, but they are cheaper (and the Tanchjim app is better IMO).

The common denominator here, is that these DSP cables & IEMs all target the entry-level segment, increasing the potential of satisfying more end-users who all have different taste / ear morphology in the end. 7Hz offering a DSP-enabled USB-C version of the Zero or Zero 2 (with the corresponding App) would make a lot of sense to me...

Last edited:
Top Bottom