• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5.1 surround using Genelec

Liya

I have a pair of Genelec 8030C and RME ADI-2 DAC fs.
I am planning to get the latest Apple TV.

Target: to stream music (Apple Music/ also Atmos) and films from Apple TV in - at least - 5.1 configuration.

I want to keep the 8030s and add 3 more speakers. I guess that for the rears I'll just add another pair of 8030s.
What about centre spekaer? If I'll go for 8030 I would need to lay it on its side. Wouldn't be better to get single coaxial 8331A because of its better horizontal dispersion?
As for the sub I was thinking to get 7050C.
Now, how do I connect it all up to get 5.1 sound?
Do I need AV processor?

delta76

Major Contributor

Target: to stream music (Apple Music/ also Atmos) and films from Apple TV in - at least - 5.1 configuration.

I want to keep the 8030s and add 3 more speakers. I guess that for the rears I'll just add another pair of 8030s.
What about centre spekaer? If I'll go for 8030 I would need to lay it on its side. Wouldn't be better to get single coaxial 8331A because of its better horizontal dispersion?
Do I need AV processor?
yes, for room correction.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
Liya

Liya

Ok. Any suggestions? Do I need the AV processor with the XLR outputs?

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok. Any suggestions? Do I need the AV processor with the XLR outputs?
The cheapest I know with XLR surround pre-outs is the Marantz 7706.

PS: Unless I had the budget for it, I would take one with RCAs and convert to XLR. It would save a lot of money, since you can go with the likes of Denon 3800 or Onkyo RZ50.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Do I need AV processor?
How do you plan to get 5.1 from Apple TV which only has HDMI?

Don’t you have at least a foot of space below the TV to fit the 8030C?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No need for XLR, normal RCA pre-outs are just fine.

I’ve used a 8040 on it’s side as a center and while it is a bit of a compromise, it was fine actually.

Tom C

Major Contributor
An alternative you might consider is pairing an Okto dac8 PRO with a Mac Mini. I don’t know what the current lead time for the Okto is, but if livable, this would give you a very flexible system at reasonable cost.
The very cheapest route is probably the AVR and Apple TV, though.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP Flex HT with Apple TV may also work for you. No ARV needed.
It’s interesting, something I haven’t thought of that before. Apple TV can output decoded 7.1 PCM (proved by members on other threads) and as many services have apps for the platform, you may get away from requiring an AVP just to decode.

Last edited:
OP
Liya

Liya

How do you plan to get 5.1 from Apple TV which only has HDMI?

Don’t you have at least a foot of space below the TV to fit the 8030C?
AV processor.

Yeah, I'll make some room for the center channel.

OP
Liya

Liya

With the MiniDSP or AVR, how would I connect the RME so I could use it's headphone amp or for two channel music listening?

Edit: trying to answer my own question.
Not possible with the MiniDSP.
Possible with AV Processor with coax or optical out (to RME).
Am I correct?

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the MiniDSP or AVR, how would I connect the RME so I could use it's headphone amp or for two channel music listening?

Edit: trying to answer my own question.
Not possible with the MiniDSP.
Possible with AV Processor with coax or optical out (to RME).
Am I correct?
MiniDSP units can be set up with more than one configuration. If you got something like a miniDSP Flex 8, you could have one configuration set up to output 5.1 channel surround, and a second selectable configuration for 2.0 stereo. And you could use Dirac Live for DSP for each. Moreover, if you wanted to run everything through a PC, you could use something like JRiver to decode Netflix, Amazon Prime and the like to 5.1 LPCM, do the bass management and pass the audio to the Flex 8 via usb while you pass the video via HDMI to your TV monitor. So you don't need an AV Processor, at least not for streaming 5.1 digital. Either a Mac M1 Mini or a fanless PC like a Mele Quieter 3 will output HDR 4K video to your monitor via HDMI and simultaneously output 5.1 channel audio to something like a Flex 8, Octo Dac 8, Topping DM7 or a Motu Ultralite Mk 5.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Yet another option for two-channel headphone would be adapter cable to connect phone (or other hand held device) to USB input of RME.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I use one of these to switch L and R speaker between a two-channel DAC and AVR in my media room. It’s got an inexpensive look and feel, but it has XLR and RCA for both input and output, so saves one specialty converter cable.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can that be shoved down HDMI into the MiniDSP Flex HT (and can that accept that?)?
As Apple TV only has HDMI output that’s the logical way.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP units can be set up with more than one configuration...Dirac Live for DSP ...if you wanted to run everything through a PC, you could use something like JRiver to decode...bass management and pass the audio to the Flex 8 via usb while you pass the video via HDMI to your TV monitor... Mac M1 Mini or a fanless PC like a Mele Quieter 3...
Gee maybe I'll just buy a Bluetooth speaker o_O:D

Top Bottom