• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Me too, but this gives me pause (https://www.stereophile.com/content/thiel-cs36-loudspeaker-measurements-part-2), Perhaps too close a measurement.

Cs36fig6.jpg
Ouch, that’s ugly. That speaker would sound broken. Me thinks the measurement is bad?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I wonder if any of the Philharmonic Audio choices would be contenders.?
Not quite contenders, but very good loudspeakers I am sure!

Rather the Dennis Murphy design that may be a contender would be the below …

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
A bit off topic, but wanted to share … After the show my youngest son was fully hooked and just had to get a system ASAP. Did a bit of research knowing his budget and set him up with below …

For preamp, amp, and DAC, found this nifty little unit …

For the speakers, of course had to be …

He got everything setup today and he is in sonic heaven :D … I haven’t heard the system myself as I don‘t live near him, but look forward to it!

I have now officially handed down the addiction of this crazy town hobby to the next generation ;)

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit off topic, but wanted to share … After the show my youngest was fully hooked and just had to get a system ASAP. Did a bit of research knowing his budget and set him up with below …

For preamp, amp, and DAC, found this nifty little unit …

For the speakers, of course had to be …

He got everything setup today and he is in sonic heaven :D … I haven’t heard the system myself as I don‘t live near him, but look forward to it!

I have now officially handed down the addiction of this crazy town hobby to the next generation ;)
Very nice the amp has a pre output. They don't label it a such @ the rear panel but in the manual it says so.
zzzz - amp - Screenshot 2023-04-22 182941.png

MarkS

Major Contributor
Ouch, that’s ugly. That speaker would sound broken. Me thinks the measurement is bad?
That measurement is very much location dependent. And much harder to hear than you might think ...

And just FYI I would expect similar dips in the Legacy V response off-axis horizontally ... it follows from basic physics and the driver arrangement ...

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Very nice the amp has a pre output. They don't label it a such @ the rear panel but in the manual it says so.
View attachment 280970
It’s a really cool piece of kit, never heard of it before until my research past week. My son also mentioned to me that the WiFi operation is flawless. Well done SVS

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
That measurement is very much location dependent. And much harder to hear than you might think ...

And just FYI I would expect similar dips in the Legacy V response off-axis horizontally ... it follows from basic physics and the driver arrangement ...
I am sure you are correct in your comments, thanks. Wasn’t a slam on Thiel, I have always very much liked their capability, though haven’t heard them for many years, and never heard a major sonic issue that I could recall. Only an observation

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MKR, sorry if I missed it or have forgotten, but were the Vivid Audio speakers ever on your radar? If so have you auditioned them yet, or did you hear them at Axpona?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
MKR, sorry if I missed it or have forgotten, but were the Vivid Audio speakers ever on your radar? If so have you auditioned them yet, or did you hear them at Axpona?
Indeed they were on the original list! Specifically the Kaya 90, which I auditioned at two different dealers. They are excellent loudspeakers, but ultimately for my ears I ranked the Salon 2 and Legacy Aeris higher. And doesn’t help I hate the physical looks. Ugly speakers to MY eyes, but I expect those that like modern art may like them.

I also briefly heard the Giya G1S at AXPONA and they sounded very good to my ears. But over my budget and the wife would NEVER allow those aliens in our home :p

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed they were on the original list! Specifically the Kaya 90, which I auditioned at two different dealers. They are excellent loudspeakers, but ultimately for my ears I ranked the Salon 2 and Legacy Aeris higher. And doesn’t help I hate the physical looks. Ugly speakers to MY eyes, but I expect those that like modern art may like them.

I also briefly heard the Giya G1S at AXPONA and they sounded very good to my ears. But over my budget and the wife would NEVER allow those aliens in our home :p

Cool. Good to hear.

Would you mind saying what you liked, and didn't like, about the sound of the Vivid speakers?

I've heard the larger models at shows, auditioned some models, and heard the smaller Vivid Kaya a number of times at a friend's place. Before I give my impressions I'm curious about yours.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is that the world’s most monotonous pipe organ on the front wall? Or is that some absorber/diffuser I don’t know about?
If I good remember, it's a tubular bass trap, but I won't cut my arm off ;) But maybe tubular diffuser/absorber, I'm not sure.

onion

Hi MKR - I understand you discounted Genelec after auditioning the 8361. I thought I'd report my personal experience - I changed from an 8341a + multisub to 8341a/ W371a full-range speaker setup. I'd have to say the difference is very large indeed with a huge improvement in mid-bass and an overall enhancement across the frequency spectrum. The system is far more powerful and room-filling than before. One benefit I did not anticipate is that the sweet spot has considerably widened and music sounds awesome at any point between the speakers (although pin-point best at the centre).

If you haven't heard the W371a/ Ones combo, it may be worth auditioning it if you can. IMO, it's very different to the Ones +/- multisub.

GPx86

Very happy Vivid Kaya 90 owner here. Absolutely incredible sound for my ears. It’s the lowest distortion speaker I’ve heard that doesn’t sound dull or harsh in any way. The biggest issue is getting them positioned properly was extremely difficult. Vivid recommends converging them slightly in front of your listening position. This was what was required for me. The mid-bass was almost non existent in my space until I got this right. In most demonstrations I’ve seen, I feel like they are not setup properly.

What I would really recommend for most is the Vivid Kaya 25 and two subwoofers. I think this would be the most optimized system for nearly anyone. If I did it again I would go this route for sure. Skip the Kaya 45.

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Cool. Good to hear.

Would you mind saying what you liked, and didn't like, about the sound of the Vivid speakers?

I've heard the larger models at shows, auditioned some models, and heard the smaller Vivid Kaya a number of times at a friend's place. Before I give my impressions I'm curious about yours.
What struck me the most was the excellent midrange, accurate and detailed with no harshness whatsoever. Imaging and soundstage very good. Some of the best I have heard from any speaker. But the low freq was quite disappointing. It was there, but given the design I expected better. And they definitely were lacking in dynamics. In all occasions I heard these the experience was the same. Even the Giya at AXPONA was similar. And then there are the physical attributes. I really could not stand to look at these every day. But no doubt form follows function here. Excellent design, just for my ears I prefer other designs. But these deserve the praise and I can certainly understand why so many like Vivid. Just not my cup of tea.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Maybe ME Geithain, but probably only in Germany.
You listened Aeris, V System, now it's time to Valor ;)
I absolutely considered ME Geithain, but good luck finding a place to audition in US

And I heard the Valor at AXPONA … But I prefer the V System and Aeris!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Hi MKR - I understand you discounted Genelec after auditioning the 8361. I thought I'd report my personal experience - I changed from an 8341a + multisub to 8341a/ W371a full-range speaker setup. I'd have to say the difference is very large indeed with a huge improvement in mid-bass and an overall enhancement across the frequency spectrum. The system is far more powerful and room-filling than before. One benefit I did not anticipate is that the sweet spot has considerably widened and music sounds awesome at any point between the speakers (although pin-point best at the centre).

If you haven't heard the W371a/ Ones combo, it may be worth auditioning it if you can. IMO, it's very different to the Ones +/- multisub.
Thank you very much for your thoughts. I would not say I have fully ruled out 8361+371 (though if I went this route it would be 8351+371, 8361 is overkill if using 371), and have no doubt it becomes a different speaker with 371, but as with many speakers on my original short list, finding a place to audition 83x1 was very difficult. Even worse to find place to audition with 371. But if the opportunity presents itself, I will certainly take advantage! Just not going to go out of my way to find them.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Very happy Vivid Kaya 90 owner here. Absolutely incredible sound for my ears. It’s the lowest distortion speaker I’ve heard that doesn’t sound dull or harsh in any way. The biggest issue is getting them positioned properly was extremely difficult. Vivid recommends converging them slightly in front of your listening position. This was what was required for me. The mid-bass was almost non existent in my space until I got this right. In most demonstrations I’ve seen, I feel like they are not setup properly.

What I would really recommend for most is the Vivid Kaya 25 and two subwoofers. I think this would be the most optimized system for nearly anyone. If I did it again I would go this route for sure. Skip the Kaya 45.
Great you found “the one” for you, and thanks for the report. I would concur with your impressions on the sound. Vivid just not at top of my list vs others I have auditioned, but excellent loudspeaker engineering no doubt about it.

Note I have heard the Vivids now multiple times and they were certainly setup correctly, so my impressions were not impacted by “improper setup”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom