• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

minus3dB

I identify somewhat with your journey and appreciate your airing it here in what is perhaps the most opinionated of opinionated public forums. Some random thoughts of some of the things that have come up in what I've read (not the entire thread):

- I like how you noted one particular track which basically melted those in the room when you were auditioning the Salon2s. I too had that experience. Although I had heard them in brief stints at audio shows, when I was in NYC I made it a point to make it by Harman's Flagship store with a few discs in hand. One was an SACD studio recording by Monica Mancini of pieces composed/arranged by her father. Although there is not a track on the recording I would not place in the top 10% of my favorites from a sonic perspective, listening to Days of Wine and Roses and how the Salons put her voice in the room, front and center simply blew me away. Very similar experience to yours with the Billie Eillish track I suppose.

- I did most of my auditioning at HiFi shows though obviously I was limited in what I could listen to there and had to accept the inherent setup limitations.

- I went into the process with the Salons having a leg up on anything else in the range of what I wanted to pay simply because the science behind their design and the published measurements resonated (bad word in this topic?) with my engineering background. That said, I had pre-vetted several speakers on my "must hear" list in a similar way. If someone wants to label that as being sucked in by Revel's marketing I have no issue with that other than them obviously having a different understanding of marketing than mine.

- I too enjoyed listening to the various Legacy speakers. I was intrigued by the Whispers which I'm not sure are still an active product in their portfolio, but at the end of the process they were a bit too unconventional for my taste. The Focus SEs were not and I considered them strongly, but never had an experience listening to them like I had with the Salons in the Manhattan store.

- The observations by some that the Salon2s lack extreme dynamic capability don't apply to me. I listen to a good bit of music that requires wide dynamic range - orchestral recordings, live jazz, piano, classical guitar, non classical acoustic guitar (i.e., Tommy Emmanuel live) -- maybe not what would come to mind of most when thinking about dynamic range. But often music that is painted against a relatively black background with sudden loud transients....and have never been left wanting more. I don't listen to compressed pop/rock music at insane levels which is what taxes the system and the ears.

- While they do rank among the best in LF performance among floor standers, I almost always supplement mine with a sub that can dig significantly deeper/cleaner and provide more of a tactile sensation if I'm listening to pipe organ music, for instance. But that's nothing for any broadband speaker system to be ashamed of. Subs are purpose built with a very specific mission.

- The one characteristic that sold me on the Salons was their coherence across the audio band, especially the midrange. How they managed to integrate that many drivers in a way that is indistinguishable from a single point source at typical listening distances is amazing. The stage is "just there" with many recordings. Beyond that I feel the number of drivers, especially a lower-mid and an upper-mid, and the result of dividing the spectrum up into smaller chunks for each driver to handle results in less distortion.

- Not that it matters but I lucked out and got a great buy on a pair of Salons from what I think the dealer said was "factory B-stock", meaning they had some minor cosmetic issue but otherwise as-new about 4 years ago. Still haven't found the defect(s)...it may be that the plastic door that covers the connector panel won't stay shut. Absolutely couldn't care less.

Good luck, but if it were me (and it's not), I'd come to a point pretty quickly where I'd question why I was depriving myself of the daily pleasure of listening to some great speakers at home. You can never have those days back.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- The observations by some that the Salon2s lack extreme dynamic capability don't apply to me. I listen to a good bit of music that requires wide dynamic range - orchestral recordings, live jazz, piano, classical guitar, non classical acoustic guitar (i.e., Tommy Emmanuel live) -- maybe not what would come to mind of most when thinking about dynamic range. But often music that is painted against a relatively black background with sudden loud transients....and have never been left wanting more.

- The one characteristic that sold me on the Salons was their coherence across the audio band, especially the midrange. How they managed to integrate that many drivers in a way that is indistinguishable from a single point source at typical listening distances is amazing.
I'd like to hear @steve59 explain the dynamic limitations. I'm genuinely curious as I've never seen evidence to the contrary:
A speaker operating well within its limits will play back a piece with the same amount of dynamic range as any other speaker that can play the same song well within its limits.

EX: A song with 16dB of dynamic range playing at 70dB on a system that can easily produce 110dB will sound no more dynamic playing at 100dB that is capable of easily producing 160dB. Volume is totally irrelevant.

Are the Salons less dynamic because their limits were being pushed and they couldn't play at a high enough volume?

Or was that speaker acting as a dynamic range compressor operating well within its limits, and another speaker had more dynamic range because it wasn't acting as a dynamic range compressor?

Is it just that it didn't go loud enough? Are "dynamics" being used colloquiality to refer to volume limits?

-----

Without bad floor and ceiling reflections and at a great enough distance, seems like just about any speaker sound close enough to point source to not worry about it in that situation. The distinguishing faults would be shown when the users gets close or when the ceiling and floor reflections cause issues, or when trying to use something as an identical center channel, ceiling mounting something, etc. Is there a good example of a large floorstander that doesn't do what you're mentioning as well as the Salon 2? Other than wonky frequency response I haven't been aware of a speaker (listening from a living room distance) that doesn't sound like the sound is coming from a spot towards the top of it. Is there one that really smears things in comparison to the Salon?

minus3dB

That's an excellent point and one I was trying to convey but did so less literally. I listen to some music where transients are startling in their effect. What I view as dynamic capability is the ability to produce undistorted, linear transients that are comparable to a live performance. I've been to many live concerts involving large orchestras playing music similar to what I listen to sometimes, and in terms of how loud the loudest parts get, I don't hear much difference.

I like to listen to some pop/rock/etc amplified music with much less dynamic range but at a lower average level....my ears can't take the sustained average levels above a certain amount, even if my audio equipment can.

benanders

Good luck, but if it were me (and it's not), I'd come to a point pretty quickly where I'd question why I was depriving myself of the daily pleasure of listening to some great speakers at home. You can never have to those days back.

Very engineering-minded way of looking at a big-picture outcome, and very well-put.

Reconciling whether (1) you’re more an (a) executor (blunt make the dang choice already) or (b) bargainer (high probability of second-guessing / buyer’s remorse) mindset with (2) sampling a sufficient number of speaker models at your price-to-performance point, can be a real first world conundrum.

Strong type “a’s” (as categorized above - not in the broader field-of-psychology sense) would think a 4-month-running thread about such a topic to be absurd. Strong type “b’s” would tolerate a 4-year-running thread, methinks. Some folks have actually played this game for 4+ decades.

Lucky as can be to have such options, whichever way you play your cards, hey?

Reactions: MKR

benanders

That's an excellent point and one I was trying to convey but did so less literally. I listen to some music where transients are startling in their effect. What I view as dynamic capability is the ability to produce undistorted, linear transients that are comparable to a live performance. I've been to many live concerts involving large orchestras playing music similar to what I listen to sometimes, and in terms of how loud the loudest parts get, I don't hear much difference.

I like to listen to some pop/rock/etc amplified music with much less dynamic range but at a lower average level....my ears can't take the sustained average levels above a certain amount, even if my audio equipment can.

Beating a dead horse, maybe: that trend doesn’t seem to limit itself by music genre. In a world where consumer audio production hasn’t, and still isn’t, recording/mixing/mastering primarily for the sorts of kit discussed in this thread, there’s only so much that speakers can do. At least compared to live non-electrically amplified events.

steve59

Major Contributor
I'd like to hear @steve59 explain the dynamic limitations. I'm genuinely curious as I've never seen evidence to the contrary:
A speaker operating well within its limits will play back a piece with the same amount of dynamic range as any other speaker that can play the same song well within its limits.

I posted that the Hegel h360 I drove the salon 2 with couldn't drive the salon 2, in fact I thought I had inverted the polarity the bass was just so lacking that I sold the salon's. the following speakers, Usher be20dmd gave me no such limitations nor did the persona 7f, and the kef blades that I thought would be current hogs did very well with the very same h360. If salon 2 owners read my posts they will also notice how complimentary of them for what I heard them excel at. I'm not going to keep repeating myself, but to add context my average listening level is 94db with +100 db peaks. This is a direct result of the trade I did r40+ years. No the salon 2 wasn't designed for me. If a million people buy a ford truck does the 1 guy that buys a toyota make all those ford buyers wrong? idk cause I bought a chevy.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I posted that the Hegel h360 I drove the salon 2 with couldn't drive the salon 2, in fact I thought I had inverted the polarity the bass was just so lacking that I sold the salon's. the following speakers, Usher be20dmd gave me no such limitations nor did the persona 7f, and the kef blades that I thought would be current hogs did very well with the very same h360. If salon 2 owners read my posts they will also notice how complimentary of them for what I heard them excel at. I'm not going to keep repeating myself, but to add context my average listening level is 94db with +100 db peaks. This is a direct result of the trade I did r40+ years. No the salon 2 wasn't designed for me. If a million people buy a ford truck does the 1 guy that buys a toyota make all those ford buyers wrong? idk cause I bought a chevy.

Sounds like there was a lack of dynamics due to them not playing high enough levels of bass with the amplifier at hand and other speakers did not have this issue.

In this case that makes sense because given the context, it sounds like they may have reached their upper limit in which case they or the amplifier would compressing things.

minus3dB

I don't think anyone is trying to be defensive, just trying to understand your perspective. I don't know what to say after reading the above. 94 dB AVERAGE listening level...I drove my Salons with a freaking AVR for a couple of years and had zero issues with their performance. It had very good amplifiers, but still...an AVR. I'm not that familiar with the Hegel...maybe it was just a bad match...or maybe your listening levels were more than it could deliver in your room. I will say my Salons have never come across as bass heavy. If I have a relatively good room correction equalization dialed in at my MLP the bass does not stand out unless something like a pipe organ, bass synth, big orchestral bass drum, etc., comes along.

olegtern

Impressions from 4349 review:
A side note. I hardly ever come home from a show thinking of replacing my speakers with anything I see there. The only exception was a set of large horn speakers that had dynamics that I could not replicate with my Salon 2s. The 4349 allowed me to get there and so points to high efficiency mattering. People routinely underestimate how much power it takes to reproduce dynamics well. Even my high power amplifier struggles to push the Salon 2 there. But with 4349, that struggle disappeared with a bunch of headroom left.

Amir compared 4349 with Salon 2 at home. He didn't have good expectations for the 4349 because of the poor measurements. But he was hooked anyway by 4349 dynamic abilities. And 4349 is just the younger sibling of JBL's horn speakers family.

This is not another attempt to make listen JBL's. Just about the difference in the subjective perception of the dynamic abilities of the speakers.

By the way, some active speakers on conventional drivers have excellent dynamic abilities. Possibly due to direct drivers control. But these are also not small speakers, e.g. Beolab 90, active ATC 150, big ones ME-Geithain.

mglobe

Forum Donor

Amir compared 4349 with Salon 2 at home. He didn't have good expectations for the 4349 because of the poor measurements. But he was hooked anyway by 4349 dynamic abilities. And 4349 is just the younger sibling of JBL's horn speakers family.

This is not another attempt to make listen JBL's. Just about the difference in the subjective perception of the dynamic abilities of the speakers.

By the way, some active speakers on conventional drivers have excellent dynamic abilities. Possibly due to direct drivers control. But these are also not small speakers, e.g. Beolab 90, active ATC 150, big ones ME-Geithain.
My read was that Amir was pleasantly surprised by the speakers, but it doesn’t read like an overwhelming endorsement. Honestly if I were trying to put some really really good speakers in my home, I’d want them to look better than those.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My read was that Amir was pleasantly surprised by the speakers, but it doesn’t read like an overwhelming endorsement. Honestly if I were trying to put some really really good speakers in my home, I’d want them to look better than those.
What's looks got to do with it? Do a blind test.

Lsc

I agree. I think the dynamics got him to listen some more but there is no doubt that those are fun speakers. If I had them in the basement my kids would be thrilled with the music they listen to….rap and classic rock.

benanders

It’s demonstrative, how much bias was present against those JBL’s the reviewer ( @amirm ) wound up liking so much. Financial incentive for him to like the model seems insufficient excuse for his subsequent listening praise, IMO (back-handed compliment, grin).
Using measurements before ears can be a real obstacle for objectivity. The reverse of that is also true.
So the only folks I :rolleyes: are those who stand convinced that one or the other (measurements / listening) is the absolute path in finding favorite speakers.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
That Zellaton article - I made it through the history lesson and the “Nth” comparison to electrostats before I wondered (1) why am I still reading this and (2) has the OP tried a large pair of electrostats yet?
Yup, heard plenty of electostats… not my cup o tea, but they certainly do some things very very well

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I identify somewhat with your journey and appreciate your airing it here in what is perhaps the most opinionated of opinionated public forums. Some random thoughts of some of the things that have come up in what I've read (not the entire thread):

- I like how you noted one particular track which basically melted those in the room when you were auditioning the Salon2s. I too had that experience. Although I had heard them in brief stints at audio shows, when I was in NYC I made it a point to make it by Harman's Flagship store with a few discs in hand. One was an SACD studio recording by Monica Mancini of pieces composed/arranged by her father. Although there is not a track on the recording I would not place in the top 10% of my favorites from a sonic perspective, listening to Days of Wine and Roses and how the Salons put her voice in the room, front and center simply blew me away. Very similar experience to yours with the Billie Eillish track I suppose.

- I did most of my auditioning at HiFi shows though obviously I was limited in what I could listen to there and had to accept the inherent setup limitations.

- I went into the process with the Salons having a leg up on anything else in the range of what I wanted to pay simply because the science behind their design and the published measurements resonated (bad word in this topic?) with my engineering background. That said, I had pre-vetted several speakers on my "must hear" list in a similar way. If someone wants to label that as being sucked in by Revel's marketing I have no issue with that other than them obviously having a different understanding of marketing than mine.

- I too enjoyed listening to the various Legacy speakers. I was intrigued by the Whispers which I'm not sure are still an active product in their portfolio, but at the end of the process they were a bit too unconventional for my taste. The Focus SEs were not and I considered them strongly, but never had an experience listening to them like I had with the Salons in the Manhattan store.

- The observations by some that the Salon2s lack extreme dynamic capability don't apply to me. I listen to a good bit of music that requires wide dynamic range - orchestral recordings, live jazz, piano, classical guitar, non classical acoustic guitar (i.e., Tommy Emmanuel live) -- maybe not what would come to mind of most when thinking about dynamic range. But often music that is painted against a relatively black background with sudden loud transients....and have never been left wanting more. I don't listen to compressed pop/rock music at insane levels which is what taxes the system and the ears.

- While they do rank among the best in LF performance among floor standers, I almost always supplement mine with a sub that can dig significantly deeper/cleaner and provide more of a tactile sensation if I'm listening to pipe organ music, for instance. But that's nothing for any broadband speaker system to be ashamed of. Subs are purpose built with a very specific mission.

- The one characteristic that sold me on the Salons was their coherence across the audio band, especially the midrange. How they managed to integrate that many drivers in a way that is indistinguishable from a single point source at typical listening distances is amazing. The stage is "just there" with many recordings. Beyond that I feel the number of drivers, especially a lower-mid and an upper-mid, and the result of dividing the spectrum up into smaller chunks for each driver to handle results in less distortion.

- Not that it matters but I lucked out and got a great buy on a pair of Salons from what I think the dealer said was "factory B-stock", meaning they had some minor cosmetic issue but otherwise as-new about 4 years ago. Still haven't found the defect(s)...it may be that the plastic door that covers the connector panel won't stay shut. Absolutely couldn't care less.

Good luck, but if it were me (and it's not), I'd come to a point pretty quickly where I'd question why I was depriving myself of the daily pleasure of listening to some great speakers at home. You can never have those days back.
Great comments, thank you very much for sharing.

As to your last comment on “depriving myself”, not at all. The opposite. Knowing that I was very thorough, avoided buyer’s remorse, and will in the end have peace of mind in my ultimate purchase, priceless (especially when spending this kind of money!)

Holmz

Major Contributor

My credentials, I like to pretend there's free will, but in truth i'm just a pinball in game I can't see... Sometimes it occurs to me I take the wrong things too seriously. Enjoy your new HT There's always some buyers remorse because there's always an itch to scratch, but whatever you pick I'm sure you're going to be fulfilled after all the time spent travelling, bonding with your boys, getting er done.

Ok then…

Me: What floor standing audiophile speakers should a guy in Montana buy with a $30,000
budget?

AI:
For a budget of $30,000, there are many excellent floor standing audiophile speakers available. Some of the top choices include:

1. Focal Sopra N°3: These speakers feature a three-way design with two 8" woofers, a 5" midrange driver, and a 1" tweeter. They have an impressive frequency response range of 35Hz to 40kHz and can handle up to 300 watts of power. The Sopra N°3 also features an adjustable bass port for fine-tuning the sound to your room's acoustics.

2. Magico S7 MkII: These speakers feature a four-way design with two 10" woofers, two 6" midrange drivers, and a 1" tweeter. They have an impressive frequency response range of 20Hz to 50kHz and can handle up to 500 watts of power. The S7 MkII also features an adjustable bass port for fine-tuning the sound to your room's acoustics.

3. Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2: These speakers feature a three-way design with two 8" woofers, a 5" midrange driver, and a 1" tweeter. They have an impressive frequency response range of 25Hz to 40kHz and can handle up to 400 watts of power. The Alexia Series 2 also features an adjustable bass port for fine-tuning the sound to your room's acoustics.

4. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3: These speakers feature a three-way design with two 9" woofers, a 6" midrange driver, and a 1" tweeter. They have an impressive frequency response range of 20Hz to 50kHz and can handle up to 500 watts of power. The 800 D3 also features an adjustable bass port for fine-tuning the sound to your room's acoustics.
18.4 seconds

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor

It’s one thing to get a “wow” factor during a fairly short audition, entirely different matter to have same level of enjoyment after months/years of listening. For example, B&W has a great initial wow factor, but good luck staying “married“ to those things after an extended period of ownership. There are a LOT of B&W on the used market, there is a reason for that. All that to say, yes, Amir enjoyed his time with the 4349s, but did he replace his Salons with them? Nope

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Looks have a lot to do with it when you are spending this kind of money. Of course for me sound first, looks second. But looks still matter, for ME

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Last edited:

mglobe

Forum Donor
Doing a blind test doesn‘t solve the problem of having to look at butt-ugly speakers in your house every day. Why do you care that some might value aesthetics, and include that in their valuation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom