• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmetalboon

Then you can use an 8C as a centre speaker, can’t you?
I could, but it would result in moving the rack that holds my sources. Doing this means moving at least one or both my main speakers to a detrimental location.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could, but it would result in moving the rack that holds my sources. Doing this means moving at least one or both my main speakers to a detrimental location.
But wouldn’t that be the same with any speaker at the centre location?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. Most dedicated centre speakers are designed to sit horizontally. To suit my personal set up at home this is what I require.
Good luck with that. Most such centre speakers are not suitable for the job. Search ASR reviews.

blackmetalboon

Good luck with that. Most such centre speakers are not suitable for the job. Search ASR reviews.
Has ASR tested my speaker?
I‘m very happy sound wise with my current set up. Can it be improved on? I’m sure it could but there does come a time when chasing numbers become irrelevant, especially when they are system and/or user dependant. Luckily, I have discovered this in my early 40’s.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It's not nearly as difficult as you're imagining. I run Atmos 7.3.6 in my family room with the "7.3" all actives. One outlet each for the Rs+Rrs, Ls+Lrs, L/C/R, and each sub. Three, 4-ch XLR breakouts route analog/AES signals under the carpets to the vicinity of each active speaker. Exposed cabling is shrouded in braided weave. The CAT5 cabling needed for GLM is merely a daisy-chain so I routed it, but it's rarely used and could even be connected as needed when calibrating.
Yeah, imagine the fun with the height section... For base line, sure, it´s perfectly doable with a set of booshelves and patience.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
If I go active it will be Genelec or GGNTKT M3 … Kii and D&D fully removed from short list for various reasons

Based upon my research, the M3 may in fact outperform the ASR worshiped (bordering on cult :p) Genelecs, and be more friendly for domestic environment. But, the M3 is practically vaporware in the US at this point and being able to audition in short term looks to be practically impossible. So sadly, the M3 is likely going to be a no go. I am envious of my EU friends in this regard as I expect they will have much better access to the M3s

Unless @Purité Audio wants to send me a pair of M3s for a no risk audition in my home :D

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If I go active it will be Genelec or GGNTKT M3 … Kii and D&D fully removed from short list for various reasons

Based upon my research, the M3 may in fact outperform the ASR worshiped (bordering on cult :p) Genelecs, and be more friendly for domestic environment. But, the M3 is practically vaporware in the US at this point and being able to audition in short term looks to be practically impossible. So sadly, the M3 is likely going to be a no go. I am envious of my EU friends in this regard as I expect they will have much better access to the M3s

Unless @Purité Audio wants to send me a pair of M3s for a no risk audition in my home :D
If only you lived here I would, although I currently don’t have a pair of M3’s.
Keith

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
@MKR i hope you made your mind up 48 pages already and still no speakers, seems to get a lit pathetic now.
But i have hopes for 2023.
Sorry I am so “pathetic” … it’s a free country, no one forcing you to read this thread if you are so disappointed and no longer entertained. With that said, I do have a job and a life, plus the holidays, tough to go on the audition trip past weeks, but one planned for later in January. Note I live in a high end audio wasteland, so zilch local, have to drive or fly for hours to get to an area with a decent amount of high end dealers. All that to say, cut me some slack, sheesh … tough crowd

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@MKR i hope you made your mind up 48 pages already and still no speakers, seems to get a lit pathetic now.
But i have hopes for 2023.
My understanding is this speaker purchase is a bit of a trek of sorts. Gather a list of prospective choices, narrow that down by availability and then go on a road trip to audition them. That is no small feat and requires time.

Reactions: MKR

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sorry I am so “pathetic” … it’s a free country, no one forcing you to read this thread if you are so disappointed and no longer entertained. With that said, I do have a job and a life, plus the holidays, tough to go on the audition trip past weeks, but one planned for later in January. Note I live in a high end audio wasteland, so zilch local, have to drive or fly for hours to get to an area with a decent amount of high end dealers. All that to say, cut me some slack, sheesh … tough crowd
Measurement led rather than ‘high-end’ I hope.
Keith

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
If only you lived here I would, although I currently don’t have a pair of M3’s.
Keith
I know you don’t have the M3 yet, but you will likely be the very first to have them in our happy little dysfunctional ASR family ;) … Time to put that “dealer of the year” title to the test and ship me a pair:cool:

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
My understanding is this speaker purchase is a bit of a trek of sorts. Gather a list of prospective choices, narrow that down by availability and then go on a road trip to audition them. That is no small feat and requires time.
Exactly correct!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Have they released their M2 that you are expecting M3?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I know you don’t have the M3 yet, but you will likely be the very first to have them in our happy little dysfunctional ASR family ;) … Time to put that “dealer of the year” title to the test and ship me a pair:cool:
Hardly dealer of the year see post 906, the M3 was the M2 but now it is the M3 unless it becomes something else.
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom