• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
With respect I have been fortunate enough over the years to be able to directly compare many loudspeakers, it really is the only valid way and I always advise potential customers to keep their current system in situ and place the new ‘possibles’ around them then they can instantly switch.
The contemporary actives don't have any feature that hasn’t been used before, cardioid, constant directivity etc etc but it is addition of all those features into one package, they just work really well in largely untreated domestic rooms.
To the op try and compare everything at home ( ideally against a known reference) , because evaluation at dealers is only of limited value.
Keith
While I would love to be able to do so, comparing all these speakers at home is simply impossible and completely unrealistic

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Then draw up a short list of ‘possibles’ the Beolabs should definitely be on that list , I don’t know how US dealers operate but for the amount you intend spending…
Keith

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Then draw up a short list of ‘possibles’ the Beolabs should definitely be on that list , I don’t know how US dealers operate but for the amount you intend spending…
Keith
I have a short list, that has been the entire point of this thread :)

As to the Beolabs, over my budget, and not a fan of omni, didn’t make my list

Bartl007

Meyer sound acheron series and/or X10 may be worth an audition as well. Blue horns would be out of budget I believe

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have a short list, that has been the entire point of this thread :)

As to the Beolabs, over my budget, and not a fan of omni, didn’t make my list
Omni, is just one of three directivity options, ‘narrow’ offers the highest fidelity.
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The 90’s have three options in terms of directionality, they are one of my favourite loudspeakers ‘lose in dynamics’ no.
As well as built-in room EQ.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
No not at all, you just have to look at the features of contemporary active designs, and of course the respective measurements.
The only reason to choose passives is if you enjoy swapping boxes , which I understand or if you haven’t been able to compare side by side in your own space.
Keith
The other reason to stay passive is multichannel for object-based sound. Purely a matter of logistics.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The other reason to stay passive is multichannel for object-based sound. Purely a matter of logistics.
Can you imagine a 7.2.4 setup with all active speakers? 24 amplifiers or more around you…

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Can you imagine a 7.2.4 setup with all active speakers? 24 amplifiers or more…
I'm sure you have seen Genelec speakers for a full 7.2.4 system just like I have seen them. Probably the result is amazing, but the practicality for an average home user...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would choose Genelec for M/C a full atmos system was demonstrated to me all active including 8361/w371 and a couple of subs it was hugely impressive.
Keith

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure you have seen Genelec speakers for a full 7.2.4 system just like I have seen them. Probably the result is amazing, but the practicality for an average home user...
I read about their 7.1.4 system that puts 34 amplifiers around you :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I read about their 7.1.4 system that puts 34 amplifiers around you :)
The main issue I see is the corresponding 12 plugs and cables (power and signal).

Any Atmos system is something to be considered in terms of cabling, actives just double it with the issue of those cables being thicker (XLR's and power) than any speaker cable. Doable, yes, but not very comfortable.

hege

Forum Donor
The main issue I see is the corresponding 12 plugs and cables (power and signal).
Don't forget the GLM RJ45 cabling, daisy chaining each speaker to next..

Bartl007

Don't forget the GLM RJ45 cabling, daisy chaining each speaker to next..
S360 also has a modular amplification unit that can be detached from the speaker enclosure and rack mounted to simplify installation. Not sure if genelec can modify other speakers in their line for similar installation flexibility.

blackmetalboon

Cardioid response simply allows you to hear more direct sound, the Kiis and 8Cs can be placed close to the wall to increase headroom, ensuring no self cancellation and because their bass output is adjustable. The only way to adjust passive speakers traditionally was to shuffle them backwards and forwards until you find the quarter wave distance of the frequency which is causing the boomy bass.
@Matt yes they are better than any passive speaker in every possible metric.
Just to add you can’t really compare two loudspeakers unless you have them side by side in your own room, which I have been fortunate enough to experience.
Keith

I‘m not going to lie, your incessant plugging of these speakers (Kii3) has peaked my interest. Being able to cut down on my box count and having improved sound quality appeals to me , but I do have a doubts which is why I have not proceeded further.

The longevity and serviceability of these speakers is a concern due to their cost and the newness of the manufacturer. For me, running a 5.0 AV system, the lack of a dedicated centre speaker is a deal breaker as being able to place a regular speaker as a main front speaker is not possible compared to a normal dedicated HT front speaker.

hege

Forum Donor
S360 also has a modular amplification unit that can be detached from the speaker enclosure and rack mounted to simplify installation. Not sure if genelec can modify other speakers in their line for similar installation flexibility.
Only the boxy models have detachable amps, 1032C being smallest.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, running a 5.0 AV system, the lack of a dedicated centre speaker is a deal breaker as being able to place a regular speaker as a main front speaker is not possible compared to a normal dedicated HT front speaker.
Why cannot you use an 8C as a centre speaker. It’s less than 50cm tall. Do you place your TV lower than that?

blackmetalboon

Why cannot you use an 8C as a centre speaker. It’s less than 50cm tall. Do you place your TV lower than that?

I don’t want to drag this thread too far off track, the perfect height for my centre speaker is around 90cm to the centre. With regards to my seating position, this is a good acoustical match in height to my main front speakers. I also have to take into account for furniture to house my 2 channel and AV sources.

jhenderson0107

Any Atmos system is something to be considered in terms of cabling, actives just double it with the issue of those cables being thicker (XLR's and power) than any speaker cable. Doable, yes, but not very comfortable.
It's not nearly as difficult as you're imagining. I run Atmos 7.3.6 in my family room with the "7.3" all actives. One outlet each for the Rs+Rrs, Ls+Lrs, L/C/R, and each sub. Three, 4-ch XLR breakouts route analog/AES signals under the carpets to the vicinity of each active speaker. Exposed cabling is shrouded in braided weave. The CAT5 cabling needed for GLM is merely a daisy-chain so I routed it, but it's rarely used and could even be connected as needed when calibrating.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t want to drag this thread too far off track, the perfect height for my centre speaker is around 90cm to the centre. With regards to my seating position, this is a good acoustical match in height to my main front speakers. I also have to take into account for furniture to house my 2 channel and AV sources.
Then you can use an 8C as a centre speaker, can’t you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom