• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$2500 for System for Office with Standing Desk

OP
C

ClearHearing

Are the tweeters aiming at your ears when you are seated and standing comfortably? I recommend these stands which I use with my kh120s

Soundrise PRO-5 Desktop Speaker Stands Pair - Professional Studio Monitor Stands for Desk or Table Floor Riser for Sonos Play Five - Decouples Speakers Dampen Vibration Resonance - Made in USA https://a.co/d/6wFH05n

The Ascend Acoustics and the Genelec are tall enough to be almost level with my ears when on the stands. The stands can be angled, which could help with the shorter Neumann, although I haven't tried that. Thanks for the link!

radix

Major Contributor
The Ascend Acoustics and the Genelec are tall enough to be almost level with my ears when on the stands. The stands can be angled, which could help with the shorter Neumann, although I haven't tried that. Thanks for the link!

Personally, I prefer VESA monitors stands and the VESA adapters to maximize desk space. (yes, that is a toilet in a box in the background -- remodeling a bathroom and had to store it somewhere). I use the Genelec VESA adapters, they fit the KH80 just fine. Not sure about the KH 120 II.

IMG_5304.jpeg

IMG_5305.jpeg

IMG_5306.jpeg

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
C

ClearHearing

I received my miniDSP / Dirac order today. I am using the Flex with balanced outputs. While we can always lie to ourselves with subjective assessments, I feel the miniDSP with Dirac sounds better than the miniDSP without Dirac, which is quick to test using the software console. More cumbersome in terms of testing, I feel that playing a vinyl record through miniDSP with Dirac sounds better than playing a vinyl record with pure analog, straight to the amplifier.

All these tests were done using the Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX speakers with the desk in standing mode.

OP
C

ClearHearing

OP here. What would be good crossover settings in miniDSP for the

Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX speakers
JBL LSR 310S (just one)

Spinorama lists the LX's bass extension as 37 Hz. The 310S has not been measured by anyone using similar protocols to those on this site, to my knowledge.

radix

Major Contributor

JBL LSR 310S (just one)

Spinorama lists the LX's bass extension as 37 Hz. The 310S has not been measured by anyone using similar protocols to those on this site, to my knowledge.
You'd likely cross them at 60 Hz or 80 Hz or so. Cross them over where the LX is still strong, not where its down. I didn't see a THD plot for the LX, so you might want to just measure that yourself and see if 60 or 80 makes more sense based on THD.

You will see where the 310S is when you measure it in room. You might need to try a few positions to find one with best performance at the MLP. I usually do some 10-200 sweeps in REW to check positions of the sub before trying to integrate it with the speakers.

Also, if the LX have a bad room mode at, say, 80 or 90, you might want to cross higher to get the sub to fill it in from a different position.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JBL LSR 310S (just one)

80hz 24dB/octave LR in the MiniDSP for both high pass and low pass. Disable the crossover in your sub or if not possible set to the highest frequency .

OP
C

ClearHearing

80hz 24dB/octave LR in the MiniDSP for both high pass and low pass. Disable the crossover in your sub or if not possible set to the highest frequency .
Will do. Is there some quick theory why 80 hz is best?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will do. Is there some quick theory why 80 hz is best?
1) it's an octave above where the speakers you are considering roll off,
2) generally higher is better due to subwoofers having higher linear headroom
3) any higher might be localizable
4) higher is better for SBIR considerations as it allows your main speakers to be closer to the wall.
5) it's a good starting point , you can measure and change it to deal with any problems

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JBL LSR 310S (just one)

A couple more points
1) can you measure the distance between the front face of the speakers to the wall/window that you face when sitting at the desk?
2) place the sub against the front wall, not away from the wall under your desk.

OP
C

ClearHearing

A couple more points
1) can you measure the distance between the front face of the speakers to the wall/window that you face when sitting at the desk?
2) place the sub against the front wall, not away from the wall under your desk.
Sure. For 1, the distance is 1.9 meters.

There are some built-in cabinets on the floor near the wall I am facing, so I have the sub a foot away from the cabinets.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure. For 1, the distance is 1.9 meters.

There are some built-in cabinets on the floor near the wall I am facing, so I have the sub a foot away from the cabinets.
I think you should be ok, make sure you are measuring from the front of the sub

Top Bottom