• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$2500 for System for Office with Standing Desk

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, OP here. I have a question about the trio of a 1) standing desk, 2) standmounts and 3) miniDSP.

Say the speakers in my system for my home office are standmounted and the stands are, as normal, designed for the height of a seated person. When I stand up to work, the standmounts will now be aimed at my waist. Is minDSP powerful enough to fix this issue? In other words, can I run Dirac Live while I am standing and get good sound from standmount speakers pointed at my waist?
The speaker stands need to be on your desk so they go up and down as your desk moves

radix

Major Contributor
FWIW, I use the KH80 + KH750 + RME ADI-2 FS (2850 kit + 1150 dac). you need to add in a bunch of cables plus VESA stands for the speakers on the desk. I also use a smart power strip controlled by the RME DAC rather than the Neumann auto on/off.

You could get a lot closer to your budget using a different DAC. I wanted a good headphone amp with its own EQ for the headphones. The RME is beautiful, but you could get by with a much less expensive set. Or you can get an inexpensive USB-SPDIF adapter and an RCA to BNC cable, then drive the KH750 directly from that. Those are maybe $50. That would get you the system for about $2900 (plus cables and stands).

EDIT: This setup is on a standing desk too. The KH750 is fixed in a spot and there's enough cable length to get from the DAC to the KH750. The speakers move with the desk.

fabius

Say the speakers in my system for my home office are standmounted and the stands are, as normal, designed for the height of a seated person. When I stand up to work, the standmounts will now be aimed at my waist. Is minDSP powerful enough to fix this issue? In other words, can I run Dirac Live while I am standing and get good sound from standmount speakers pointed at my waist?
I'm kind of new to this myself, and I got the 8030c's a while back. At first I had them on my desk, tilted up as much as possible, but it still felt like the sound was "below" my head. I got the Genelec stands (which I think have been improved recently) and the tweeters are now roughly level with my ears, and even to my undiscerning ears I noticed the difference. So, as others said, keep the speakers on your desk, so they move with you, and probably on stands too.

radix

Major Contributor
Here is a post where I link to the VESA stands and plate adapters I use on the KH80. You might find other posts in that thread worthwhile too.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From your questions it seems that you are forgetting the crossover which is different from EQ. For good sub integration you need to High pass the main speakers and low pass the subs. Low pass is not a problem as almost all subs have this capability built in. For the high pass there are several ways of implementing as highlighted in point 4 below.

1) I would go for the Genelecs or Neumanns if you have the budget. Advantages include bass response, dynamic capability and reliability, none of which are reflected in the score with EQ and a sub. Spins and preference scores are good indicators but aren't designed to capture every aspect of speaker performance. Also every Genelec will measure the same (to within limits of audibility), I think it would be harder to reproduce Erin's EQ results without measurement equipment with the Neumi. Remember Erin measured this one then gave feedback to the manufacture , then they changed the EQ, then he stuffed the ports.

2) 8030C is analog and would be a better option in the nearfield if you are using a sub. Without a sub or if you listen very loud, 8040 would be better but it's pretty big for a desktop. they are similar in overall sound other than bass extension and volume capability

3) no, no special synergy with Genelec subs especially of not using Genelec room correction. Genelec subs are nice but expensive for what you get.

4) If using a sub you need to implement a crossover and need 3 analog outs or 2 separate digital outs. For crossover you can use, a miniDSP flex, software and a 3-4 channel DAC, get a studio sub that has a built in crossover (both high pass and low pass)

5) I think MiniDSP is the best option around considering cost, quality, and features

6) you could use an analog crossover and EQ but this would be a suboptimal and clunky solution, Can't think of a good reason to do this.

Take a took at the distorion plots for the Neumi vs Genelec, The genelec has 20dB plus better distortion and will work right out of the box. The Neumi needs its ports stuffed, lots of EQ and a pretty high crossover frequency.

index.php

Neumi%20BS5P%20with%20New%20EQ%2C%20Ports%20Stuffed%20%28Harmonic%20Distortion%2096dB%20%40%201m%29.png
"get a studio sub that has a built in crossover (both high pass and low pass)"

It seems that there are not many subwoofers with both functions at the same time?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"get a studio sub that has a built in crossover (both high pass and low pass)"

It seems that there are not many subwoofers with both functions at the same time?
Most studio subs have both crossovers

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is the cheapest subwoofer we can buy to meet this requirement?
I'm not sure what the cheapest one is but this one is $199, not that I'm recommending it.

This one has the functionality too for $299

Basically any studio subwoofer has both lpf and hpf built in.

Last edited:

192kbps

I'm not sure what the cheapest one is but this one is $199, not that I'm recommending it.

This one has the functionality too for $299

Basically any studio subwoofer has both lpf and hpf built in.

If both are met and dive to 20Hz with sufficient sound pressure and smooth curves, which one is the cheapest?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If both are met and dive to 20Hz with sufficient sound pressure and smooth curves, which one is the cheapest?
I doubt either one will reproduce 20 hz with sufficient levels for me; you asked for the cheapest with a certain functionality. Would like to see the jbl tested. I’m not sure what your goal is but why not make use of the sweetchoas subwoofer comparison spreadsheet?

192kbps

I doubt either one will reproduce 20 hz with sufficient levels for me; you asked for the cheapest with a certain functionality. Would like to see the jbl tested. I’m not sure what your goal is but why not make use of the sweetchoas subwoofer comparison spreadsheet?
I think SSW-2 may meet my needs. In our country, it only costs $2000, but I can't see its testing.
But for four SSW-2, it is still too expensive.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think SSW-2 may meet my needs. In our country, it only costs $2000, but I can't see its testing.
But for four SSW-2, it is still too expensive.
I'm throughly confused as to what you are looking for. You were asking about the cheapest studio sub with a built in high pass filter and now you are talking about $8000 worth of passive subs which don't have any of that functionality in a thread about a $2500 desktop system. Why not start a new thread and fully discuss all of your requirements?

OP
C

ClearHearing

Hi, I'm the OP! I bought three of the high-testing pairs of speakers and am evaluating them. I plan to send two back for a refund. The three speakers are

Genelec 8040B
Neumann KH 120 II
Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX (with a Topping PA5 II amplifier)

Here are my current thoughts. I welcome any comments that might shift my decision one way or the other.

Most important is the sound. I am blown away by the sound from both the KH 120 II and the Sierra LX. Both have perfect (to me) sound with absolutely no feeling that I am listening to two speakers. Indeed, both those speakers have excellent preference/tonality scores; Amir tested the KH 120 II and the manufacturer tested the Sierra LX using the same type of Klippel machine. Actually, the Sierra LX comes out a little ahead of the KH 120 II in the testing for flat responses.

The Genelec 8040B is good but not competitive in sound with the other two. It seems a little underwhelming as it doesn't draw me into the music as much. This is a twenty-year old design. Amir's review for the bigger 8050B says that there is a frequency range where the response is not flat; as a result the 8050B's tonality/preference score is lower than KH 120 II and Sierra LX. Also, Amir's review says that distortion appears in the 8050B when you crank up the volume and something like that seemed to be in play for the 8040B, although I am not equipped to give a formal analysis. I had no issues cranking the volume for the Neumann and the Ascend Acoustics.

(I used the recommended monitor settings in Genelec's user manual for desktop placement).

In terms of price, in the US the Genelec is the most expensive as apparently Genelec products cannot be discounted here. The Genelec might be competitive in price with the Neumann if you live in Europe or even Canada. The Sierra LX is the cheapest, but once you toss in the Topping external amplifier it is getting closer in price to the Neumann.

The Neumann is much smaller and lighter than the other two speakers, which are large and heavy for bookshelf-class speakers. I personally like the boxy look of the Ascend Acoustics over the rounded aluminum of the Genelec, but the Neumann is the best looking overall, in my opinion.

The Neumann has DSP but I don't plan to use any physical DSP settings or Neumann's $300 software. I have ordered the miniDSP Flex with balanced outputs, which is a considerable chunk of change by itself.

I also received a JBL LSR310S subwoofer but my wife disliked the thumping when I first connected it. So I am waiting for the miniDSP Flex before experimenting with the subwoofer further.

The Neumann and the Genelec (and the JBL subwoofer) are magnetically shielded and would work well with CRTs. The Sierra LX is not shielded but the fields go down quite a lot at two feet. Many more recently released Genelec monitors are not magnetically shielded, by the way.

Any suggestions or further thoughts?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I'm the OP! I bought three of the high-testing pairs of speakers and am evaluating them. I plan to send two back for a refund. The three speakers are

Genelec 8040B
Neumann KH 120 II
Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX (with a Topping PA5 II amplifier)

Here are my current thoughts. I welcome any comments that might shift my decision one way or the other.

Most important is the sound. I am blown away by the sound from both the KH 120 II and the Sierra LX. Both have perfect (to me) sound with absolutely no feeling that I am listening to two speakers. Indeed, both those speakers have excellent preference/tonality scores; Amir tested the KH 120 II and the manufacturer tested the Sierra LX using the same type of Klippel machine. Actually, the Sierra LX comes out a little ahead of the KH 120 II in the testing for flat responses.

The Genelec 8040B is good but not competitive in sound with the other two. It seems a little underwhelming as it doesn't draw me into the music as much. This is a twenty-year old design. Amir's review for the bigger 8050B says that there is a frequency range where the response is not flat; as a result the 8050B's tonality/preference score is lower than KH 120 II and Sierra LX. Also, Amir's review says that distortion appears in the 8050B when you crank up the volume and something like that seemed to be in play for the 8040B, although I am not equipped to give a formal analysis. I had no issues cranking the volume for the Neumann and the Ascend Acoustics.

(I used the recommended monitor settings in Genelec's user manual for desktop placement).

In terms of price, in the US the Genelec is the most expensive as apparently Genelec products cannot be discounted here. The Genelec might be competitive in price with the Neumann if you live in Europe or even Canada. The Sierra LX is the cheapest, but once you toss in the Topping external amplifier it is getting closer in price to the Neumann.

The Neumann is much smaller and lighter than the other two speakers, which are large and heavy for bookshelf-class speakers. I personally like the boxy look of the Ascend Acoustics over the rounded aluminum of the Genelec, but the Neumann is the best looking overall, in my opinion.

The Neumann has DSP but I don't plan to use any physical DSP settings or Neumann's $300 software. I have ordered the miniDSP Flex with balanced outputs, which is a considerable chunk of change by itself.

I also received a JBL LSR310S subwoofer but my wife disliked the thumping when I first connected it. So I am waiting for the miniDSP Flex before experimenting with the subwoofer further.

The Neumann and the Genelec (and the JBL subwoofer) are magnetically shielded and would work well with CRTs. The Sierra LX is not shielded but the fields go down quite a lot at two feet. Many more recently released Genelec monitors are not magnetically shielded, by the way.

Any suggestions or further thoughts?
Photos please (of the speakers on your desk)

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

radix

Major Contributor
To me, Neumann seems a good value for what one gets. I only have the KH80/KH750, not the bigger ones, but I am very happy with them.

Have you elevated the speakers from the desk, or put a decoupling material between the desk and speakers? The mids and highs will be pretty directional and sensitive to relative ear hight and desk reflections. So, maybe try putting the Genelec's on a book or toe in/out, etc., to see if it's a positional issue. I think the Genelecs do have a more narrow vertical dispersion than the Neumanns (or maybe i'm remembering the 8030, not sure about the larger one).

OP
C

ClearHearing

To me, Neumann seems a good value for what one gets. I only have the KH80/KH750, not the bigger ones, but I am very happy with them.

Have you elevated the speakers from the desk, or put a decoupling material between the desk and speakers? The mids and highs will be pretty directional and sensitive to relative ear hight and desk reflections. So, maybe try putting the Genelec's on a book or toe in/out, etc., to see if it's a positional issue. I think the Genelecs do have a more narrow vertical dispersion than the Neumanns (or maybe i'm remembering the 8030, not sure about the larger one).
Yes, I had some IsoAcoustics stands from before that I am using. The Genelecs kind of rock back and forth if I put them on the stands, due to the monitors having rounded bottoms. But they seem stable if I keep the included Genelec feet on when I place the monitors on the IsoAcoustics stands.

OP
C

ClearHearing

To see how the speakers look on your desk.
Here are three photos, one of each pair of speakers. My desk is unusually clean and in the sitting position.

Attachments

• IMG_7922.jpeg
    IMG_7922.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7919.jpeg
    IMG_7919.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7918.jpeg
    IMG_7918.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 83

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are three photos, one of each pair of speakers. My desk is unusually clean and in the sitting position.
Are the tweeters aiming at your ears when you are seated and standing comfortably? I recommend these stands which I use with my kh120s

Soundrise PRO-5 Desktop Speaker Stands Pair - Professional Studio Monitor Stands for Desk or Table Floor Riser for Sonos Play Five - Decouples Speakers Dampen Vibration Resonance - Made in USA https://a.co/d/6wFH05n

Top Bottom