• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$250 vs $950 vacuum record cleaning system comparison

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a wetting agent, it shows up in many homebrew cleaning mixtures. It lowers surface tension, so that the liquid can get deeper into the grooves. In darkroom applications it helps with both rinsing and drying of negatives and prints. Back in the days when film was dominant it wasn't that expensive, and there were several competing products.
I use Jet Dry as my wetting agent for record cleaning. Works well for me when combined with a dilute detergent.

dr0ss

I use Jet Dry as my wetting agent for record cleaning. Works well for me when combined with a dilute detergent.
That might be even better. Photo Flo has essentially 2 non-water ingredients, propylene glycol and a form of polyethylene glycol known in the audio world as Triton X-100. Jet Dry has some surfactants/alcohols I don't recognize, but also CAS # 68439-51-0, which is tergitol. It also has an emulsifier, a stabilizer, an antibacterial additive, and some artificial scent, and citric acid. While I don't know how these miscellaneous other ingredients would affect the record cleaning, tergitol is probably better than triton (it is what the Library of Congress recommends, and should be better for static), and the citric acid might help if your water is hard (or any other source of minieral deposits). Also, Jet Dry is cheap and ubiquitous.

jbags

I like my steam cleaning process. It does well with minimal cost and stuff to store. An old turn table spins the records at 45 rpm. Distilled water, and home brew cleaning solutions, brushes, a cheap steamer for clothes, and a vinyl vac attachment for a little shop vac.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like my steam cleaning process. It does well with minimal cost and stuff to store. An old turn table spins the records at 45 rpm. Distilled water, and home brew cleaning solutions, brushes, a cheap steamer for clothes, and a vinyl vac attachment for a little shop vac.
You do know that heat is not good for vinyl, eh?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got the thingy. Not yet unpacked.
PXL_20230719_102235522.jpg

PXL_20230719_102211555.jpg

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor