• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

20 meter between PC <> DAC

hyperknot

Hi, how would you recommend connecting a PC with a DAC which is 20 meters away?

AFAIK, I have two options:
- active USB 2.0 cables
- Toslink cables

With both solutions I'm worried about if there is degradation in jitter and also bit-loss.

Also, for the Toslink cable, I'd need to basically buy a USB-DAC or a DAC like device which is converting from USB to Toslink. Do you have any recommendations for such devices? From what I found they are almost as expensive as "real" DACs, so it's a bit pointless at that point.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

- active USB 2.0 cables
- Toslink cables

With both solutions I'm worried about if there is degradation in jitter and also bit-loss.

Also, for the Toslink cable, I'd need to basically buy a USB-DAC or a DAC like device which is converting from USB to Toslink. Do you have any recommendations for such devices? From what I found they are almost as expensive as "real" DACs, so it's a bit pointless at that point.
Probably best solution would be to get another mini PC close to the DAC and stream the digital audio data to the mini PC over WiFi in my opinion.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They make USB extenders, although I have no experience using them.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A WiiM (Pro) streaming files from the PC by Ethernet or WiFi?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
H

hyperknot

What active cables are you possessing? What are the range specs? Non-active USB cables go to about ~15 feet as per ~spec.
Here is the first find for it on Amazon.de:

715ADu-k-5L._SL1500_.jpg

OP
H

hyperknot

That active cable should work but it's ~5m too short?
I linked the 20m version above which has 2 signal amplifiers, but I'm really curious about how is the data transmission over this distance. Best would be to verify the digital output of the DAC via an optical input board and compare for bit perfectness.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I linked the 20m version above which has 2 signal amplifiers, but I'm really curious about how is the data transmission over this distance. Best would be to verify the digital output of the DAC via an optical input board and compare for bit perfectness.
If it will do a printer and all the other things listed at the 20m cable webpage then it'll do audio.

Lambda

Major Contributor
There are many active USB over RJ45 converters.
They usually work but i would strongly advice on also getting an USB Idolator with this length.

So it might be cheaper to go Toslink

You Should relay not connect the grounds over a usb cable over a length like this.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor

- active USB 2.0 cables
- Toslink cables

Why do you need a PC to control the music or be connected to the Hifi?
Use Tidal and stream it, Or Roon to stream all stored music from a network connected hard disk . Control all from an app on your phone or IPad

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
Top Bottom