• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

12 inch passive subwoofer amplifier

drkarimsalah

thank you in advance and I appreciate any help or ideas. I used to run 12 inch passive subwoofer with a car amplifier powered by a 12 volt computer power supply unit,
recently I upgraded my system and used a fosi audio bt30dpro, however currently I want to upgrade it again with a new subwoofer 1000 RMS
the question is is there a good home subwoofer amplifier available currently?
or
should I buy a new high end car amplifier and if so is there a power supply unit that can provide the Amplifier with that so much power?
thanks for any ideas

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s the driver and box? Do you really need 1 KW? Is DSP a must? Do you want a plate amp or separate?

In any case, I would recommend not using a car audio amp.

OP
D

drkarimsalah

thanks for your reply my new subwoofer is rockford fosgate power t1d412 which is nearly 800 watt RMS
I use fosi audio bt30dpro as the Bluetooth receiver then I take the pre-out to rca into subwoofer amplifier ( I have also jbl partybox 310 which has a preout rca which can go to amplifier
my main concern is the amplifier that can feed that sub

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for your reply my new subwoofer is rockford fosgate power t1d412 which is nearly 800 watt RMS
2 Ohm DVC would be better for home hifi. You’ll have a 2 ohm load on your amp now, which is not standard for home audio. Also it’s a rather high Q subwoofer. Not exactly ideal for home usage.
I use fosi audio bt30dpro as the Bluetooth receiver then I take the pre-out to rca into subwoofer amplifier ( I have also jbl partybox 310 which has a preout rca which can go to amplifier
my main concern is the amplifier that can feed that sub
I don’t understand this setup? The fosi has a pre-out, so does the JBL monstrosity? I don’t see a pre-out in the JBL manual? What do you use and what is the current subwoofer amp? In any case, the Fosi subwoofer output will have a hard time driving your woofer. It’s only rated for 4 Ohm. I also don’t think it has the proper filtering. I would definitely recommend an amp that can do additional filtering. It wil vastly improve sound. What’s the budget for an amp? I would probably recommend Hypex FA501.

Last edited:
OP
D

drkarimsalah

if iam using the fosi audio as the receiver then it works as : phone via Bluetooth - fosi audio -preout splitter - one to sub amplifier and one to partybox
if iam using partybox as the receiver: phone-partybox-daisychain out to amplifier to sub
currently I sold my amplifier (it was 400 rms car amplifier)
when it comes to my current budget it is nearly 1000 dollar.
also I always wondered why home amplifiers are so expensive in comparison to car ones which are usually more powerful as you can fine many top notch models which can give more than 1000 arms for around 500 us $

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
if iam using the fosi audio as the receiver then it works as : phone via Bluetooth - fosi audio -preout splitter - one to sub amplifier and one to partybox
So what do you use the Fosi amps for?
when it comes to my current budget it is nearly 1000 dollar.
also I always wondered why home amplifiers are so expensive in comparison to car ones which are usually more powerful as you can fine many top notch models which can give more than 1000 arms for around 500 us $
Car amp power figures are rarely accurate, especially for the budget ones.

I already recommended the Hypex plate amp. If you need more power, maybe Behringer NX1000D, or some others pro-audio amp with DSP. Budget wise also interesting…

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

If you have a budget of 1000 USD I'd advice you to buy an active subwoofer.

OP
D

drkarimsalah

So what do you use the Fosi amps for?

Car amp power figures are rarely accurate, especially for the budget ones.

I already recommended the Hypex plate amp. If you need more power, maybe Behringer NX1000D, or some others pro-audio amp with DSP. Budget wise also interesting…
what is dsp and why is it so important? sorry Iam not very expert

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
what is dsp and why is it so important? sorry Iam not very expert
A DSP is a digital signal processor, you use use it for filtering and equalization. Filtering you need to reduce the bandwidth of the sub. Higher frequencies must be filters out. EQ you’ll need to correct the subwoofer response for room effects.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A plate amplifier is probably the most economical solution. A plate amp is designed to be mounted in the speaker box (making your sub active) but you could build it into a different box. A lot of plate amps have line-level pass-through with high-pass filtering to block the bass out of your main amplifier (as well as low-pass filtering for the sub).

You can also get lots of watts-per-dollar with a pro amplifier. Some pro power amps have DSP filtering, but but they will only filter what's going-through to the speaker (low pass for the sub) and you'd need a 2nd similar amp (or a crossover) if you want to high-pass for the mains.

There are also economical pro active crossovers (that operate at line-level in front of the amplifiers).

is there a power supply unit that can provide the Amplifier with that so much power?
1000W at 12V is 83 Amps!* ...Not counting efficiency loss in the amplifier. In reality, the amp may not put-out 1000W and you won't be running continuous 1000W test tones so you don't need that much continuous current and the actual requirements are a but of a guess. But I don't think you'll find anything ecomomical.

Power = Voltage x Current.

Top Bottom