• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$100k speakers Meridian DSP8000 to $

steve59

Major Contributor
Yes you need the heads and that could be a problem! Start out on the hitchhikers guide to Meridian, the knowledgeable owners and dealers will take you step by step thru what you need to get up and running. the bass cabinets you have crossover at 200 hz so head un\its are a must

steve59

Major Contributor
Thanks for sharing this, also I did some research, looks like except the top pice I need processor , cable , remote , streamer at used market cost around 5k or so
I really like them but I also I read somewhere they need be upgraded $18k to se to able play 24/192 !? Is that correct?
the 218 is good enough and can be found used for $500. an Ipad can run the meridian app replacing the big remote M uses and the RJ45 cable is as cheap as any affordable speaker wire. The se comes with the 24/194 hardware in the bass units on the panel on back!

OP
K

Kamrooz

the 218 is good enough and can be found used for $500. an Ipad can run the meridian app replacing the big remote M uses and the RJ45 cable is as cheap as any affordable speaker wire. The se comes with the 24/194 hardware in the bass units on the panel on back!
Thanks a lot I will do my best also open a threads on hitchhikers let’s see how it goes

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, you are a brave man to buy literally just the bottom sections, hopefully you got them super cheap and the rest can be obtained from somewhere. The paint bit isn't really an issue as you can match that, however if I'm correct I'm pretty sure each bottom section was programmed and matched to work with it's partnered top half. Hopefully the variance isn't too much between what was there and the replacements.

If you have the money you may actually be better off sending these back to Meridian so they can match them as per specifications again, although there's no guarantee they will do so and if they do... well it's going to be pretty darn expensive.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Could these not just be used as active subwoofers and DSP used to eq/integrate whatever he chooses to use to play above whatever frequency they are good at?
Seems the obvious option if the tops are hard to find.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kamrooz

Wow, you are a brave man to buy literally just the bottom sections, hopefully you got them super cheap and the rest can be obtained from somewhere. The paint bit isn't really an issue as you can match that, however if I'm correct I'm pretty sure each bottom section was programmed and matched to work with it's partnered top half. Hopefully the variance isn't too much between what was there and the replacements.

If you have the money you may actually be better off sending these back to Meridian so they can match them as per specifications again, although there's no guarantee they will do so and if they do... well it's going to be pretty darn expensive.
I’m trying be brave but most of time need be smart,
Also I’m trying connect to dealer and original owner for better info ,
After all research and all advise here and there I will make a good decision but still need some time

OP
K

Kamrooz

Could these not just be used as active subwoofers and DSP used to eq/integrate whatever he chooses to use to play above whatever frequency they are good at?
Seems the obvious option if the tops are hard to find.
I thought about that , they are powered but have DSP I THINK NOT possible or very hard to do

Ze Frog

I’m trying be brave but most of time need be smart,
Also I’m trying connect to dealer and original owner for better info ,
After all research and all advise here and there I will make a good decision but still need some time
You might get lucky and track down the originals. Can't imagine they are of any use to whoever has them. Fingers crossed for you anyway.

OP
K

Kamrooz

You might get lucky and track down the originals. Can't imagine they are of any use to whoever has them. Fingers crossed for you anyway.
thanks a lot ,
It so fun Trying bring back to the life those unicorns

Last edited:

Chr1

Forum Donor
I thought about that , they are powered but have DSP I THINK NOT possible or very hard to do
I am suggesting that if you can't get the tops, that you could use these with something like a decent studio monitor instead.
You would not use the inbuilt DSP but external DSP instead.
I use MathAudio RoomEQ to do this with twin active subs and a pair of Neumann KH310s. It is free to use with Foobar2000.

Last edited:

Ze Frog

thanks a lot ,
It so fun Trying bring back to the life those unicorns had
They are awesome from what I've heard and read, certainly something of quality by all accounts.

By tracing back original owners and dealers you may strike gold, only logical explanation is someone has passed these on missing a couple of boxes really. Either that or some absolute cluey has brought them at some point and thought ' I only want the top bit because they are too big ' or something similar, lol. The odds of that are pretty darn slim though given the value of the things. No doubt somebody has a couple of boxes in their garage they forgot to ship.

What does auction house say? Have they double checked to make sure they don't have? No doubt these will sound extra specially good after all the detective work anyway, could actually be quite interesting to find out the speakers history of ownership etc.

OP
K

Kamrooz

Thank you again everyone you guys are very helpful
So far i text the seller and ask them if they can find the person bought the top piece so they said to me that ( had been sold very well for good amount of cash ) but I still want there info and ask them if they will give me that information maybe i can buy them back ! And still waiting for response
I try my best for sure to find missing piece

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing wrong with trying to have fun with audio. It's not exactly a pursuit of sonic perfection, but nothing wrong.

steve59

Major Contributor
I brought the base unit in for service and the tech was able to plug the head unit from a different gen to verify everything was working. While you could use ANY dsp8000 head unit the base and electronics you have are the SE which have upgraded electronics in that panel on back and the Beryllium tweeter. amps are the base and mid drivers are the same the previous gen, but the be tweeter is only in the se or se upgraded 8k's. Meridian quit making the se upgrade a couple years ago, but do have a newer xe, however for the cost of these upgrades a very nice pair of speakers could be bought. in fact the upgrade kit cost me as much as the pair of dsp 8000.2's cost me second hand!

TimF

Forum Donor
Ah, and yet how many of us would be enticed to buy just the lower units at the right price? I mean, I'd be interested in buying just these two units at the 'right' price.

OP
K

Kamrooz

I brought the base unit in for service and the tech was able to plug the head unit from a different gen to verify everything was working. While you could use ANY dsp8000 head unit the base and electronics you have are the SE which have upgraded electronics in that panel on back and the Beryllium tweeter. amps are the base and mid drivers are the same the previous gen, but the be tweeter is only in the se or se upgraded 8k's. Meridian quit making the se upgrade a couple years ago, but do have a newer xe, however for the cost of these upgrades a very nice pair of speakers could be bought. in fact the upgrade kit cost me as much as the pair of dsp 8000.2's cost me second hand!
Thanks again , So I check with Bruce and he said those I have is not se version or not upgraded, but yes I can use any head unit to get work with but it’s hard to find and meridian asking I don’t know $$$$ money so still not sure

steve59

Major Contributor
The shiny steel surrounding the drivers suggests they're Special Edition but Bruce is the guy in the USA for all things Meridian, he also got me a fair price(considering retail) on my SE upgrade.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sorry I missed the point they was sold out couple years ago! I’m still trying to figure out why they sold separately! Also I try look outside of United States if possible finding them, but it’s sad situation
Good luck with your detective work. Damn cool speakers you've bought anyway. :D Or rather, half the speakers.

Top Bottom