• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Unicore

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the KC62 came in a green fabric wrap to match my LSXs, I would probably already have pre-ordered it. I've been looking at the SVS SB1000, but it's just slightly too big for some of the places I would really want to put it. $1500 is a lot of money for a couple inches of size, but I have a feeling I'll eventually be buying this thing (unless it turns out to measure terribly). I don't listen very loud at all, so this seems like a great option for my needs.

Have you seen this flat pack from Parts Express?

https://www.parts-express.com/Knock-Down-MDF-0.67-ft-Subwoofer-Cabinet-300-7068

Have somebody finish it exactly how you want it, and work with the DIY audio community to see what the best driver is to put in it.

Shadaraman

Have somebody finish it exactly how you want it, and work with the DIY audio community to see what the best driver is to put in it.

That might work, but 12" is still on the large side for my space. Plus, I have more than enough DIY projects sitting half done, so I'm more likely to just buy a finished product.

Still, I appreciate the suggestion, and I'll look into it more before I spend a bunch of money.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think folks should try a pair of these:

JTR Orbit Shifter LFU:
Yes, this subwoofer can shift the orbit of planets.
Orbit shifters.jpg

Once you've demo'd a pair for a while, any sub you ever buy will seem quite small and tidy in comparison. :D

My living room is 2525ft^3. I have a pair of large ported 15" subs, but both tucked away unobtrusively. Most of the furniture in the room is quite a bit larger. Some can use sub this size as end tables, etc. Now that my wife has experienced what basically unlimited clean full bandwidth output with +/- 1-2 dB response at any level we could ever care to listen, she is dead set strongly opposed to downgrading subs. A pair of Infinity R12 or JBL550P, which many would apparently consider enormous behemoths, you could not pay my wife to swap down to such sized subs. She has come to appreciate the capability of larger, low distortion subs. Granted, if I had a much smaller room, I would definitely be fine with smaller subs. But I would probably figure out a way to make something like PSA's S1512 fit even if I had a MUCH smaller space.

Everyone's needs are different. My daughter in college has satellite speakers and a little baby 6" sub....a desktop 2.1 system. Its plenty for her, more than she needs.

Now if I lived in a very small shared living space in Europe with neighbors, I wouldn't need even something like PSA's small sealed 15. A small sealed 10" would be fine. I have a JBL550P($189 new on sale) down in my workout room, and it has far more capability than I need for that use.

I also understand that for some, tiny and unobtrusive is a high priority. At that point, one just has to decide how much they want to spend to maximize the performance available in smaller packages, such as JL Audio's small sealed offerings i.e E110/E112.

Luckily, there are products that fill all these needs. I think issues arise when folks that are only familiar with tiny HTiB sized "subs" attempt to fill a home theater with bass and expect a pair of "enormous" SB-1000's to do the job. The lower you want to play with accuracy and low distortion, cost and capability requirements skyrocket quickly. My pair of subs actually cost the *MSRP* of my LCR, and for me, that balance is perfect.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember, if it was 500€, I’d say nothing. I’m not arguing it’s not smaller, as it obviously is, but you’re being asked for an extra 1000€ for 3” smaller if compared to SVS SB 1000.

I think this highlights why it's so tough for y'all to see each other's side. The value y'all place on size and aesthetics is just totally different. You say "1000€ for 3” smaller", with the implication being that that's absurdly expensive. That's your belief, but I know for certain that some of my friends/family would happily pay that, and many would see it as a bargain. 3" smaller is a big deal in many people's eyes, especially when (imo) its shape and design also match the LS50 better than the SVS.

*Edit: Forgot to say that I agree that the 11Hz spec thing does seem silly to include the way they did. I'm guessing it was a marketing decision.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

That might work, but 12" is still on the large side for my space. Plus, I have more than enough DIY projects sitting half done, so I'm more likely to just buy a finished product.

Still, I appreciate the suggestion, and I'll look into it more before I spend a bunch of money.
If PE gear is on the table what about this?
You could buy two or three (actually five for the price of the KEF)
It includes amp with DSP/PEQ

Done? I would buy 2 of these.
https://www.parts-express.com/Power...pact-Subwoofer-Kit-with-Built-In-DSP-300-7150

12x10x8 inches with amp. Sealed box = zero port noise. Very small size. Pre DSP f3 is 47hrz (which is great for a sealed 8"). Using the DSP to boost bass you can get predicted anechoic f3 of 30-33ish hrz @ f10 of 22-24hrz(in room likely much better - f3 could be 22-25hrz @98-100db). Uses a very high quality woofer. I bet you can surely get 100+hrz from 25hrz up in-room in a medium room - even better with two.
Price is $300 but often on sale for $269 each.

Grab the spec from PE and run you favorite box simulator - ( winisd is free.)

Quote from PE staff
"
Best Answer: I'll try to answer all your questions:
No, this enclosure does not have a double thick baffle. Just a single 3/4" baffle.

Stuffing is not necessary, but it is definitely an option. More of a matter of taste really. With the adjustments you can make with the amplifier you could actually add a boost in the 40-30 Hz range to pretty much simulate the same effect as stuffing the enclosure.

Because of the small size of the enclosure, bracing is not necessary (the driver and amp brace the front and back panels. The sides, top, and bottom are only 7" deep).

The smaller enclosure does increase the natural F3, In the 0.75 ft enclosure the F3 is around 44 Hz, but in this 0.33 ft enclosure the natural F3 is around 47 Hz. However, keep in mind that with the built in DSP you can actually control the overall F3 of the system (for example, 7 dB of boost at 30 Hz will move the F3 down to 30 Hz). In this case the smaller enclosure was chosen strictly for excursion control. Using the supplied amplifier, you should be able to boost any frequency without running into over excursion issues. "

1611382402202.png

1611383513396.png

1611383598479.png

1611383746329.png

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I guess I just don't have what it takes to be a true believer ("sucker" I often call it).

I remember when I was learning about subwoofers, all those real-world constraints. Back then even physics had something to do with it. Some formulas calculated the size and dimension of the sound wave. Then there were others, the formulas that would tell you what's the excursion of the membrane needed and how this length progresses the deeper in low freq. you go. And it did progress, but not because it didn't have DSP preset. I remember surface area was very important and many other things.

I guess all those sources just forgot to say "if it's tiny, origami made by KEF, real world physics don't apply".

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Physics of course apply and it will always be radiating surface times excursion, these new high tech woofers like for example also Devialet partially compensate the smaller surface by very high excursions. Higher excursions usually mean also higher non-linearities and thus distortions, although a good chassis designer does quite an effort to reduce them through optimised mechanic and magnetic design, in the KC62 additionally by measuring the current in the voice coil, like in motion feedback designs.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess all those sources just forgot to say "if it's tiny, origami made by KEF, real world physics don't apply".

I think nobody denies any physics here.. at least not in this topic. It’s just that some people say: this could be enough for me. If that is worth the asking price, is for anyone to decide themselves.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
in the KC62 additionally by measuring the current in the voice coil, like in motion feedback designs.

Any info in this? The product page does not state anything about that.

edit: found it in the information sheet.. this is probably actually the one feature that makes this product actually work. Why not feature it more prominently?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
edit: found it in the information sheet.. this is probably actually the one feature that makes this product actually work. Why not feature it more prominently?
I am afraid its the sign of our times that marketing people find tech rather "uncool" and prefer trying to reach the emotional side of the consumer... :rolleyes:
I generally miss techy ads like in the 80s for electronics, cars etc., now its all just some hipsters and lifestyle photos... :facepalm:

tecnogadget

Just enjoy the advanced technology. One day it will trickle down.
Exactly! I don’t understand all that bashing around this product. You don’t like it ? Don’t buy it.

I like it but won’t buy it either because it’s expensive. But it amuse me thinking there will be more Uni-Core products in a future.

I think I’ll go for dual SB-1000 or Kube 10b.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Soundwave of 20Hz has 56.5 feet wavelength. Just putting it out there for the tech-enthusiasts.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am afraid its the sign of our times that marketing people find tech rather "uncool" and prefer trying to reach the emotional side of the consumer... :rolleyes:
I generally miss techy ads like in the 80s for electronics, cars etc., now its all just some hipsters and lifestyle photos... :facepalm:

It's quite clear that KEF is working the tech on this a lot in their marketing. Big coverage of the tech even before the actual subwoofer model was released.

Bear123

In my conversations with KEF about this, by the way, they said it could reach 20Hz at roughly 80dB anechoic. So a fair bit louder than that in-room. This is more than good enough for my uses, but obviously don't expect theater-level sub-bass peaks
For a comparison, here is how that would stack up against a few different options ranging from large ported to small sealed:
1) Rythmik FV15HP 6.5ft^3 ported 15" $1400
2)Rythmik F18 sealed 18" 5.6ft^3 $1670
3)JL Audio E110 sealed 10" 1.8ft^3 $1650
4) SVS SB12-NSD 12" 1.8ft^3 $599(probably *about* the same as any of their current smallest sealed subs i.e. SB1000,2000)

Sealed sub . comparison.png

If the KEF does 80 dB at 20 Hz, that puts it one line up from the bottom on this comparison graph, for perspective. For me, it would be REALLY hard to justify that over the much cheaper SVS, or the JL Audio for similar price to the KEF but higher performing than the SVS. Both of those subs are pretty diminutive in size, IMO.

I thought the first three were an interesting comparison because it shows you what similar money gets you from large ported, large sealed, and small sealed. And last, what inexpensive small sealed gets you. Tiny sealed, one has to visualize based on 80 dB at 20 Hz. 10 Hz from the KEF would be completely imperceptible unless wearing as headphones.

Last edited:

Bear123

Here's my attempt at estimating the KEF. I don't claim a high level of accuracy as the CEA2010 numbers posted for the four subs are 2m RMS which are 9 dB lower than 1m peak figures which are commonly used. So I think where I placed the KEF trace is probably a very generous absolute best case scenario in terms of comparison:
07wqSSfQ.jpg

stren

Forum Donor
I think the other thing to factor is that this doesn't have to be your only subwoofer. In my apartment I have space for one big subwoofer in one position that isn't ideal. If I want to add more they need to be smaller. My nulls are above 40Hz, so the the big subwoofer can handle the the low end, while little ones could help fill nulls at more reasonable frequencies that a good 6 to 8" sub can handle.

bo_knows

Hear the new KEF KC62 in action with the LS50 meta. I know it's a youtube and all but you can hear the difference with and without the sub.
The demo starts at the 9-minute mark or so. Enjoy... :)

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hear the new KEF KC62 in action with the LS50 meta. I know it's a youtube and all but you can hear the difference with and without the sub.
The demo starts at the 9-minute mark or so. Enjoy... :)

Well the sub make a big difference there, i hear a little more the sub in the left side of my speakers xD
10:47, after a little i hear the subs notes in both speakers, maybe its the song i dont know im a little confusing xD

Top Bottom