• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Yuno

Looks like A90 + D90 is the new endgame for those that can afford it.
Depends. As much as I appreciate what Topping has done here, I would never pick this stack over RME ADI-2 DAC FS. While Topping stack will easily win in performance, it lacks functionality of RME and any performance gains you get are way outside of realm of audibility. Only benefit I see is ridiculous amount of power for people who need it.
That said - both of those are outside of price range I'm willing to spend on audio at the moment. Hence why I'm waiting for L30.

MalinYamato

The price of a Zen dac/amp with MQA is $120 -- How much extra does it really cost Topping to include it in D90? Is it really as much as $100?

Last edited:

kn0ppers

Obviously not, but I would suppose that customers who are ready to pay more for MQA or have a Tidal subscription are also less price sensitive and won't really mind an extra 100USD spent on their DAC. From the business perspective it isn't that hard to understand.

BenF

Forum Donor
Meh, I couldn't care less about pot size. My biggest qualm is since getting into headphone audio, all the amps I've used, every one of them develop scratchiness in less than a few months.

I've owned the gem in the picture below for 10 years, I've used it daily and it works as if it were factory new. No scratchiness at all! In stark contrast to this is my Schiit Modi Heresy, which had said scratchiness of the pot right from the start. So I totally get your point. But it must be possible to do better, as Violectric certainly proved.

120221_VIO_HPAV100_1280x1280.jpg

saadi703

I would buy Hifiman Arya and cheaper dac+amp for that budget. I'm personally going for Ananda + E30 + L30
Agree with Arya over LCD-X or any other headphone in that price range. Great headphone. Love it.

saadi703

It's been a long time coming, but it seems this is just about the perfect option for those looking to drive a Susvara via a headphone amp at a budget under 1k (let alone half of that!)

How is it any better on driving Susvara than 887 or 789? I want to see numbers as I was recently looking for a amplifier for my Susvara. So far no one is able to answer my question.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you...So they make good cars, but jets are quite another thing..I quite understand now.

That was my opinion, but based on what I think are some pretty solid assumptions. First, there are a lot of "high end" companies that have decided to use NCore or ICEpower modules to supplement their lines rather than design their own new Class AB amps because that's where the performance per unit cost is optimum these days. There isn't a ton of margin available to firms who opt to go in that direction by providing super reasonably priced products, as the only savings possible is in the connectors and packaging and there's not a lot of "real" differentiation to be had (yeah, yeah, OK...input buffers excepted--perhaps?) It's been noted that market is looking like a "race to the bottom" in one thread here.

Next, seems to me that Topping, SMSL, et al have a biz model based on small and light products that can be shipped worldwide, both quickly and at low cost. That means big, heavy Class AB amps are not something that one would expect to fit in with their current model. My take is the only way for them to provide a reasonably priced power amp using their own design savvy is to go the chip amp route, and even with that, they are kind of just another player because those are well thrashed out.

Sometimes_nevermind

How is it any better on driving Susvara than 887 or 789? I want to see numbers as I was recently looking for a amplifier for my Susvara. So far no one is able to answer my question.

Here are some basic guidelines that poster @trl came up up with on this forum about a year ago for finding an amp which can attain a thx reference level with a Susvara:

"... based on @solderdude's measurements these headphones have a sensitivity of 74dB/mW, so we need an amp able to deliver 4W/ch. (15.5V RMS) to reach to 110dB and 8W/ch. (22V RMS) to reach to 112dB, so most likely GS-X mini 4W/ch. may not be the best out there for this task. Manufacturer seems to recommend a good pair with EF1000 that delivers about 12W/ch. in 60 Ohms (26.5 V RMS)."

Hopefully that is useful! Still unsure if this is enough for me to ditch a speaker amp, but definitely willing to give it a go with a return policy backing the decision.

mt196

I've owned the gem in the picture below for 10 years, I've used it daily and it works as if it were factory new. No scratchiness at all! In stark contrast to this is my Schiit Modi Heresy, which had said scratchiness of the pot right from the start. So I totally get your point. But it must be possible to do better, as Violectric certainly proved.

View attachment 65633
I must say that I had a magni 2 Uber and it was scratchy at the beginning of the pot turn, maybe is a problem with schiit volume knobs

mt196

That was my opinion, but based on what I think are some pretty solid assumptions. First, there are a lot of "high end" companies that have decided to use NCore or ICEpower modules to supplement their lines rather than design their own new Class AB amps because that's where the performance per unit cost is optimum these days. There isn't a ton of margin available to firms who opt to go in that direction by providing super reasonably priced products, as the only savings possible is in the connectors and packaging and there's not a lot of "real" differentiation to be had (yeah, yeah, OK...input buffers excepted--perhaps?) It's been noted that market is looking like a "race to the bottom" in one thread here.

Next, seems to me that Topping, SMSL, et al have a biz model based on small and light products that can be shipped worldwide, both quickly and at low cost. That means big, heavy Class AB amps are not something that one would expect to fit in with their current model. My take is the only way for them to provide a reasonably priced power amp using their own design savvy is to go the chip amp route, and even with that, they are kind of just another player because those are well thrashed out.
I think we need to wait the end of the year when probably SONCOZ will release its speaker amp, so we will have more fun even in that sector with probably a huge shock for the market and thus more low cost competition

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks. The reason I ask is the power amp reaches full power at 1.3V SE and 2.6V BAL input. Ideally should level match the amp input sensitivity .
Use low gain setting or mid gain.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Of these only Tidal benefits from MQA. Qobuz and Amazon HD offer up to full 24/192 lossless which is objectively better than MQA.
Dude i have Tidal and Amazon HD and had Qobuz in the past ain't none of them better than the other,it's all fugazi what you speak,enjoy the music.My Mama used to say if you don't have nothing good to say don't say nothing at all.Oh almost forgot you know how many containers they have to wrap music in?

Last edited:

Pillars

Indeed, Yes: -- A full MQA decoder will improve your Tidal/Qobuz/Amazon Music listening experience --
Tidal provides higher quality for MQA format users? Sounds like they've "bought in" and prioritized if that is true. If your source format is truly lossless you are good, MQA is from all accounts I've seen very slightly lossy. I had the choice to upgrade to the MQA version of the D90 and after researching it is a huge NO from me.

foxxx0

Forum Donor
Wow, this thing looks amazing. Thanks for the extensive testing and review amir!

I do have two questions though:
- are the xlr/rca outputs muted when the main switch is in HPA position?
- is the volume knob controlling the xlr/rca out volume when the main switch is in PRE position? (or does it just blast through at input == output volume?)

Top Bottom