• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

mt196

10k for RCA. 2k for XLR.
Is it possible to feed A90 with XLR in, but then use RCA outs and not XLR outs?

2nd question: are XLR output true balanced output (as I think) or are they bi-phase? I am asking just to be sure since if the previous asked method cannot be done, I will have to create an XLR to RCA cable and I wanted to be sure it is truly balanced output in order to ground the pins

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Is it possible to feed A90 with XLR in, but then use RCA outs and not XLR outs?
Of course.

Screenshot at May 13 11-19-45.png

Veri

Master Contributor
Yeah I saw the back panel but I wasn't sure they are bot outputting at the same time regardless of what it is connected in the inputs :)
Oh I didn't realise you meant at the same time. Better ask @JohnYang1997 for confirmation on that. XLR to RCA is not ideal since either way you are breaking the excellent common mode rejection and could introduce problems/distortion.

mt196

Oh I didn't realise you meant at the same time. Better ask @JohnYang1997 for confirmation on that. XLR to RCA is not ideal since either way you are breaking the excellent common mode rejection and could introduce problems/distortion.
I have a Anaview AMS0100 module as amplifier, and I built it with RCAs, sure I can modify it and use it with XLR but it will mean to change also its case, so maybe it is better to just use RCAs. If JhonYang confirms that whether I use XLR or RCA as an Input, I can always use RCA as output, I will just use RCAs and be happy with it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have a Anaview AMS0100 module as amplifier, and I built it with RCAs, sure I can modify it and use it with XLR but it will mean to change also its case, so maybe it is better to just use RCAs. If JhonYang confirms that whether I use XLR or RCA as an Input, I can always use RCA as output, I will just use RCAs and be happy with it.
RCA inputs will be converted to balanced XLR outputs with differential signals.

Rigel

Thank you JohnYang1997 for solving our doubts. It is fortunate to have someone who knows these equipment so well.

Talking about the connections. Dough loops is something that worries me a bit, it would be a shame not to take full advantage of the system performance for it.
Taking into account that I am using a PC and would like to connect active speakers (RCA) (without grounding) to the D90 / A90 system
From the point of view of the ground loops, I suppose it will be indifferent that you use the RCA outputs of the D90 or those of the A90 for this, although the connection between them is balanced (XLR)

I suppose that in these cases, the D90 would not isolate the PC ground from the rest of the system ¿What could be the best option?

Thank you.

reiserfs

Interestingly you can't pre-order the A90 from Audiophonics anymore. Any reason for that?

Tks

Major Contributor
Look at that spec sheet. 1w output into 300ohms?! over 6w into 32ohms?

I cannot wait to hear someone say something ridiculous: "It's a powerful amp, but I could use a bit more power for my X headphones using balanced, you should know X is pretty hard to drive for any amp".

Meanwhile I'm here on my RME using the 3.5mm Low Power jack using HD58X's and I'm about to go deaf if I crank it to the max volume..

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I cannot wait to hear someone say something ridiculous: "It's a powerful amp, but I could use a bit more power for my X headphones using balanced, you should know X is pretty hard to drive for any amp".

Meanwhile I'm here on my RME using the 3.5mm Low Power jack using HD58X's and I'm about to go deaf if I crank it to the max volume..
Then you have people like my friend, who last night was trying out my LCD-3's balanced through my Monolith THX amp, I went to use the bathroom, and all of a sudden I can hear clearly, and loudly, the tune he was jamming! I go back out to the living room, he's got the amp on high gain, and the volume knob all the way cranked! I'm motioning for him to take them off so he doesn't blow out his ears, and he says, " damn, I can't get these things to distort". I'm like, how the Hell can you hear anything, let alone distortion??!! WTF, lol??

babak147

I cannot wait to hear someone say something ridiculous:
"It's a powerful amp, but I could use a bit more power for my X headphones using balanced, you should know X is pretty hard to drive for any amp".

Susvara laughs in silence, Challenge accepted.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Susvara laughs in silence, Challenge accepted.
Neither susvara nor the new he6se are really hard to drive. Only the original he6 and akg k1000 are hard to drive. Minimal difference can be heard once you pass magni3 performance.

Top Bottom