• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before I publish reviews I go and search for others. Here, I found the stereophile review and JA's measurements. I was relieved that he was seeing some of the same issues I found. But shockingly, his summary paragraph starts such: https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-da-processor-measurements

View attachment 34149

What? Superbly well? This is is superbly well?

914PSDSfig10.jpg

That is a 50 Hz tone and has harmonic distortion as high as -45 dB (SINAD of 45 dB). Why run that test if this indicates "superb" results???

No wonder people walk right past these types of measurements when they exist....

Yes but the other ways looked good. It just does not excel as a DAC :p
I read their review a while back and could not believe that anyone would buy this product.

Here is another roll-your-own DAC, the Chrod Dave:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-dave-da-processor-measurements

617Davefig08.jpg

It's expensive at 10K but at least it performs. Although it looks like a video game console :p
617dave.life1.jpg

- Rich

Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Appalling to say the least, can't imagine how their PS Sprout 100 would perform. Getting glorious reviews :facepalm:

Thanks for the enlightenment @amirm

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every time there is a new firmware the general comment in all the audophile forums is that now we have a brand new DAC much better than the previous and for free. So, really it's a key part on their way the make money.
I'm sorry, what is the key part of this? :D If everybody (believe to) hear how much better this sounded updrade after upgrade... Then it means that it sounded terrible at the first release!! ;)
Appalling to say the least, can't imagine how their PS Sprout 100 would perform. Getting glorious reviews :facepalm:

Thanks for the enlightenment @amirm
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-and-measurements-of-ps-audio-sprout100.7049/

retro

Transformer on the output to the XLR's..so this is not even a true balanced construction then..?!?

speedy

Forum Donor
I believe is not mentioned (so enough...).

The firmware thing is clompletely key in the business model of DirectStream DAC. They have been able to sell the same hardare during many, many years through giving away for free continuous updates of the firmware. Every time there is a new firmware the general comment in all the audophile forums is that now we have a brand new DAC much better than the previous and for free. So, really it's a key part on their way the make money.
I hope @amirm double check the firmware but even if not the latest why it perform so bad.
Amir lists the firmware in the first image of the review. The screen of the DS DAC shows that it has Snowmass 3.0.6 which is the latest according to PS Audio's site: https://www.psaudio.com/support/downloads/

Music1969

Major Contributor
1. Amir is not using the latest firmware. That's enough ammunition to let old fox Paul to kill the review.

Ha, I predicted this yesterday, before the review came out. Because Stereophile have found differences in measurements with different firmware.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...uess-the-next-product-review.9093/post-232546

@amirm - did you confirm your unit is running v3.06 (the latest)? If yes, you should stick the firmware version number (displayed on the DAC screen) in your opening post...

Music1969

Major Contributor
Next, I hooked up Toslink from my APx555 analyzer. It too showed identical output to above. I then turned on jitter on Toslink and no matter what I did with sine wave jitter, nothing would disturb the DAC's output. Or its ability to lock on it. So this claim regarding input independence and ignoring input jitter is correct. Nicely done.

Would be great if you can measure jitter on TOSlink input more and more...

Especially with people more and more claiming jitter immunity even on optical input - Rob Watts is another.

Great job by Ted Smith on this aspect.

carlosmante

JA finessing his written summary to keep on side with his high end buddies , shocker lol

The only perfect wave would be the wave that says goodbye to this DirectStream of Crap.
And Now DirectStream says "Adios Amigos". ha ha ha ha.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's so stylish now:
ps-audio-dsd-direcstream-dac.png

This is the one that I used to own, I think it was one of the earliest versions to use that pretty little full-color display (I had it set to white background, but if you look closely at my pic, you can see the colors in the icons on the screen):

Canon DirectStream.jpg

My previous one had a similar color scheme to the current model, but it lacked the nice display. Despite that, it was a great performer!

31G711ZS39L.jpg

I think this was one of the prototypes:
First generation DirectStream.jpg

Edited to add a couple pics of my setup in the living room. It had USB and wireless connectivity, so I could access it from any system in the house. Back in those days, the software was included on media in the package, as internet speeds for downloads weren't so great yet. They also included a fine quality USB cable.

DirectScan streaming in the living room.jpg

Canon DirectScan with wireless streaming.jpg

DirectScan with software and included USB cable.jpg

Yes, that's a slot-loaded CD drive on the bottom front! I loved the versatility of that model! The new one has a lot fewer features, although the price has skyrocketed compared to what I paid!

Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I feel sorry for the kind member who sent this in for review.

If I were the owner, my next "test" would be of PS Audio's 30 day, no hassle return policy.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Man, I would love to see measurements of Ed Meitner's EMM stuff! The DAC is about $15k. I should reach out to him.

His response would be "telling".

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Apart from the IMD graph (which I hope I'm interpreting correctly), the EMM's measurements appear to be very good indeed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm - did you confirm your unit is running v3.06 (the latest)? If yes, you should stick the firmware version number (displayed on the DAC screen) in your opening post...
The version number was in the picture in the review. Here is the zoomed version:

PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DS DAC Audio Review Version Number.jpg

As you see, it says 3.0.6.

gvl

Major Contributor
I worked hard at my job and have a nice fat bonus coming my way before the end of the year. I feel I deserve a little reward and want to upgrade my DAC to an end game unit and my wife agrees. Can't decide between this and Totaldac. Can you guys help? Which one sounds more analog?

Top Bottom