• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a fast learner i would say:
1713046050714.png

Newman

Major Contributor
To me it feels that a big number of reviewers just prefer not to publish a review if it's not all positive …
I have seen several magazine reviewers openly say that they won’t publish reviews of products they can’t recommend.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have seen several magazine reviewers openly say that they won’t publish reviews of products they can’t recommend.
Is this a better outcome? If if becomes ‘the’ rule, Amir wouldn’t have published his review of the M-Lore (because not recommended) and some would say Erin’s story was self-inflicted (why publishing a review if you can’t clearly recommend the product?)

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I heard that, too. But most magazines depend on advertising, and Amir and Erin are a bit different to that.

Newman

Major Contributor
Is this a better outcome? If if becomes ‘the’ rule, Amir wouldn’t have published his review of the M-Lore (because not recommended) and some would say Erin’s story was self-inflicted (why publishing a review if you can’t clearly recommend the product?)
I am talking about long established practice.

As others have noted in the posts just above, it would be a combination of advertising revenue, avoiding drama, and access to products for review. Especially boutique products.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am talking about long established practice.

As others have noted in the posts just above, it would be a combination of advertising revenue, avoiding drama, and access to products for review. Especially boutique products.

You missed out another common reason: many reviewers feel that reviewing bad stuff (by their lights) isn’t worth their time or what they want to emphasize. They would prefer to alert readers to the better items “this is worth checking out.” And so very often reviewers have already done some leg work, having selected gear that has already stood out and impressed them in some set up.

That was my approach in my brief stint reviewing: I had auditioned a huge number of speakers and a number of them had blown me away in various aspects so I wanted to alert other audiophiles about them and what I found special about each speaker. I knew plenty of other reviewers who didn’t same.

I’m. Not saying the applies everywhere, to every reviewer or magazine or YouTube channel. But it’s an entirely reasonable approach IMO, but also good that there are folks like Amir doing takedowns of some bad gear.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You missed out another common reason: many reviewers feel that reviewing bad stuff (by their lights) isn’t worth their time or what they want to emphasize.
There is no logic in that. How would they know something is bad without taking in to listen to in their place? How would they know how good a speaker is without listening to one that isn't? How would they learn anything if they don't experience bad designs?

There is only one reason: they want to keep getting (expensive) gear and no one would loan them such the first time they write a super negative review. They are not stupid.

Here is the other thing: they get plenty of bad stuff but they have little skill in figuring that out. Even when they do, they find a way to paper over the issues.

Any proper subjectivist reviewer would wait for the objective data in the case of Stereophile and if issues are found, analyze them subjectively. But they don't do that either even when their subjective impressions is at clear odds with the measurements.

Vraxoin

You missed out another common reason: many reviewers feel that reviewing bad stuff (by their lights) isn’t worth their time or what they want to emphasize. They would prefer to alert readers to the better items “this is worth checking out.” And so very often reviewers have already done some leg work, having selected gear that has already stood out and impressed them in some set up.

That was my approach in my brief stint reviewing: I had auditioned a huge number of speakers and a number of them had blown me away in various aspects so I wanted to alert other audiophiles about them and what I found special about each speaker. I knew plenty of other reviewers who didn’t same.

I’m. Not saying the applies everywhere, to every reviewer or magazine or YouTube channel. But it’s an entirely reasonable approach IMO, but also good that there are folks like Amir doing takedowns of some bad gear.
Yes, that's exactly why I mentioned time constraints above. In print magazines a given reviewer only has so many reviews per year and many of the review periods are quite long, so they definitely have to be judicious. However, it is disappointing that you rarely see bad reviews in print. That's not because I want bad reviews, I don't think any of us do, but because I want to know the truth and facts about what's out there. So, I'm very thankful for platforms like ASR, Erin's Audio Corner, and others for showing the spectrum of the audio world, not just the sunny side. The fact that it's actually helped create some better products is just some awesomeness on the cake.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup I know we have a different view on this.

First: of course a common motivation for reviewing stuff is to get to play with tons of gear. Being able to hear speakers in my home that had excited me in previous encounters was wonderful.

There is no logic in that. How would they know something is bad without taking in to listen to in their place? How would they know how good a speaker is without listening to one that isn't? How would they learn anything if they don't experience bad designs?
The point is that some gear may have sounded excellent or very promising and the stuff that sticks out is what the reviewer pursues. There are countless products out there - plenty no doubt that are bad or great. But this is a common informal method of selecting gear to review. Worked for me.

And I never once have had a speaker that I carefully auditioned elsewhere sound significantly different in my home. The specific characteristics that stuck out elsewhere were maintained in my room.

I find the whole “you can’t make any judgement about a speaker in a room different from your own” to be overblown.

There is only one reason: they want to keep getting (expensive) gear and no one would loan them such the first time they write a super negative review. They are not stupid.

Here is the other thing: they get plenty of bad stuff but they have little skill in figuring that out. Even when they do, they find a way to paper over the issues.

Any proper subjectivist reviewer would wait for the objective data in the case of Stereophile and if issues are found, analyze them subjectively. But they don't do that either even when their subjective impressions is at clear odds with the measurements.

Freq451

OK OK! I admit that I'm full of audiophallic mythical crap! But if you share that with the world, I will SUE YOU!

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 363623Is it me? Or is this a magnificent Freudian mea culpa slip? Translate to: Your review/measurements don't square with what I know is misleading bs? Hmmmm... Maybe it's me. I wish my English teacher mom were still alive...
Or is it just that narcissism can lead some to see overwhelming support when it's only their dog?

Axo1989

Major Contributor

If I was a reviewer and choosing my own subjects to review, I'd certainly choose those that were interesting in some way. The sonic results would be variable, of course. The extent to which "interesting" correlates with "good" would also vary, but that approach would weed out a fair bit of dross.

I would listen, then measure and then listen again. And then EQ and listen again. Which would be a combination of the Stereophile approach (listen before introducing measurement bias) and the ASR approach (measure, EQ, listen). I'd certainly want to listen fresh initially, then again to hear/confirm any audible correlation with measurements. And as I EQ to use a loudspeaker in practice, not doing so makes little sense for me. Hypothetically of course, as I'm not a reviewer. I wouldn't get many reviews done, I expect.

Last edited:

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
View attachment 363623Is it me? Or is this a magnificent Freudian mea culpa slip? Translate to: Your review/measurements don't square with what I know is misleading bs? Hmmmm... Maybe it's me. I wish my English teacher mom were still alive...

One doesn't need an English-teacher Mom to realize that this is called "talking out of both sides of your mouth."

Jim

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Is it me? Or is this a magnificent Freudian mea culpa slip? Translate to: Your review/measurements don't square with what I know is misleading bs? Hmmmm... Maybe it's me. I wish my English teacher mom were still alive...

The entire Tekton lexicon appears to be assembled from Freudian misfires.

One doesn't need an English-teacher Mom to realize that this is called "talking out of both sides of your mouth."

That would be a dialectic dipole ...

Top Bottom