• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AI generated music

phion

Just saw this making rounds on twitter:

There are a few more sites, but this sounds the best to me. Audio quality is better than I expected. Curious what folks here think about this space in general.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I viscerally hate this on a basic human level.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just created a dozen tries from my lyrics. Audio quality is better than Suno, song quality is worse. Sort of sounds like having a very good band on tap that will make tongue-in-cheek caricatures of the style you ask for. Suno can be more surprising how close a song is to what you'd hear playing at Target or the grocery store—no one would notice it was AI. Udio, at least for now, can be a little goofy sounding.

What do I think about the space? Well, it's here, like it or not. There will be good and bad. If the music space was pristine, I might hate this, but the bulk of music available is so formula and derivative, with hits often created by the same writers over and over, for the benefit of those who can afford them. If AI hastens the demise of that, I won't cry.

As a musician, there are AI tools I'd have more interest in. Personally, I'd like an AI producer that listened to my song and maybe gave a few ideas about different ways I might have phrased the vocals (with generated example), or maybe to drop out the beat, then back in just before the final chorus. In other words, the stuff successful artists get from seasoned producers by virtue of so much money being involved.

Yes, like the printing press and desktop publishing, it will make it easier to generate crap...and interesting stuff we'd never have heard otherwise.

Some would say this is just going to make it impossible for musicians to make a living. Hey, there has always been freedom to make music, but there's never been any guarantee of a Spanish villa and a personal jet from it. Anyway, we're already there, because anyone can publish on the streaming services from music they made on their laptop and a $50 mic that's not terrible these days. People whine about the low pay from streaming, but it's because these is so much available.

Other things I might like: I can drum a little, and I'm pretty good about creating drum tracks by mouse. But sometime I'd rather let my friend play drums to my songs because he loves doing it and I get a different point of view. If he weren't around, I might try out Fiverr on some tune to get a true drummer's perspective, though I haven't yet. But there have been algorithmic drummers for a long time (as in Logic), and AI could be far better because it can actually listen to what it's drumming to. AI drummers seem like low hanging fruit, with no notes involved.

Right now, I'm more interested in having AI help me make which visuals to go along with my songs. Just because I think it's more engaging to give people something to watch. I'm not looking to make money, so I'm not putting any video artists out of business. And that's where AI will make a huge difference—enabling things that wouldn't otherwise happen, or not nearly as well. Sure, at the same time it will put people out of business. And create business for others.

OP
P

phion

Yeah, it feels like kind of tech broish, doesn't it? But some of the jazz tracks weren't too bad and sound quality was acceptable.

OP
P

phion

Yeah, it feels like kind of tech broish, doesn't it? But some of the jazz tracks weren't too bad and sound quality was acceptable
Just created a dozen tries from my lyrics. Audio quality is better than Suno, song quality is worse. Sort of sounds like having a very good band on tap that will make tongue-in-cheek caricatures of the style you ask for. Suno can be more surprising how close a song is to what you'd hear playing at Target or the grocery store—no one would notice it was AI. Udio, at least for now, can be a little goofy sounding.

What do I think about the space? Well, it's here, like it or not. There will be good and bad. If the music space was pristine, I might hate this, but the bulk of music available is so formula and derivative, with hits often created by the same writers over and over, for the benefit of those who can afford them. If AI hastens the demise of that, I won't cry.

As a musician, there are AI tools I'd have more interest in. Personally, I'd like an AI producer that listened to my song and maybe gave a few ideas about different ways I might have phrased the vocals (with generated example), or maybe to drop out the beat, then back in just before the final chorus. In other words, the stuff successful artists get from seasoned producers by virtue of so much money being involved.

Yes, like the printing press and desktop publishing, it will make it easier to generate crap...and interesting stuff we'd never have heard otherwise.

Some would say this is just going to make it impossible for musicians to make a living. Hey, there has always been freedom to make music, but there's never been any guarantee of a Spanish villa and a personal jet from it. Anyway, we're already there, because anyone can publish on the streaming services from music they made on their laptop and a $50 mic that's not terrible these days. People whine about the low pay from streaming, but it's because these is so much available.

Other things I might like: I can drum a little, and I'm pretty good about creating drum tracks by mouse. But sometime I'd rather let my friend play drums to my songs because he loves doing it and I get a different point of view. If he weren't around, I might try out Fiverr on some tune to get a true drummer's perspective, though I haven't yet. But there have been algorithmic drummers for a long time (as in Logic), and AI could be far better because it can actually listen to what it's drumming to. AI drummers seem like low hanging fruit, with no notes involved.

Right now, I'm more interested in having AI help me make which visuals to go along with my songs. Just because I think it's more engaging to give people something to watch. I'm not looking to make money, so I'm not putting any video artists out of business. And that's where AI will make a huge difference—enabling things that wouldn't otherwise happen, or not nearly as well. Sure, at the same time it will put people out of business. And create business for oth

Right now, I'm more interested in having AI help me make which visuals to go along with my songs. Just because I think it's more engaging to give people something to watch. I'm not looking to make money, so I'm not putting any video artists out of business. And that's where AI will make a huge difference—enabling things that wouldn't otherwise happen, or not nearly as well. Sure, at the same time it will put people out of business. And create business for others.
Also forgot to say I appreciate your nuanced take.

OP
P

phion

Same. Music, art etc is about human expression and not about content creation (which AI really will be all about in the end, CONTENT).
But there is a ton of music created that's not about artistic expression? Elevator music, games, soap operas, you name it.

Also AI generation can complement the toolbox of artists just like synths did in 70s?

I Got A Letter

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

As an individual who makes a modest living mainly through animation and music video work with some music on the side I have to say I'm utterly terrified and looking at my career in tatters just as it's begun (I'm a 32 year old music graduate living in the UK). I agree that we've had a slow and steady democratisation of artistic production for the last few hundred years and the barriers to entry have become lower and lower, however this is not democratisation, this is a complete de-skilling of the entire landscape. Skills i've honed for 20 years have just been made almost entirely redundant overnight. I don't believe that anyone owes me a living but lots of independent artists like me who were already only earning just enough to keep a roof over my head but did it for the love are now going to face some very difficult choices.

I agree with you that the musical landscape has churned out a lot of garbage in the last 25 years, but the entire artistic ecosystem is about to be rocked to its core.. there will be plenty of winners but also a lot of losers, and I suspect it will be artists outside the mainstream that suffer the most. The music and artistic works that we all love are intrinsically linked to the concept of authorship, a concept which may be about to be nuked off the face of the earth.

It's not just the creatives either, I think plenty of service and administrative jobs are going to be wiped off the map too and we are heading for a bumpy ride as the human race works out how the hell we organise the world when the human brain becomes surplus to requirements.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

As an individual who makes a modest living mainly through animation and music video work with some music on the side I have to say I'm utterly terrified and looking at my career in tatters just as it's begun (I'm a 32 year old music graduate living in the UK). I agree that we've had a slow and steady democratisation of artistic production for the last few hundred years and the barriers to entry have become lower and lower, however this is not democratisation, this is a complete de-skilling of the entire landscape. Skills i've honed for 20 years have just been made almost entirely redundant overnight. I don't believe that anyone owes me a living but lots of independent artists like me who were already only earning just enough to keep a roof over my head but did it for the love are now going to face some very difficult choices.

I agree with you that the musical landscape has churned out a lot of garbage in the last 25 years, but the entire artistic ecosystem is about to be rocked to its core.. there will be plenty of winners but also a lot of losers, and I suspect it will be artists outside the mainstream that suffer the most. The music and artistic works that we all love are intrinsically linked to the concept of authorship, a concept which may be about to be nuked off the face of the earth.

It's not just the creatives either, I think plenty of service and administrative jobs are going to be wiped off the map too and we are heading for a bumpy ride as the human race works out how the hell we organise the world when the human brain becomes surplus to requirements.
Yes, it's going to be, um, "interesting".

There is a lot to be worried about (but I don't like spending my time worrying). A little be like the threat of everyone being replaced by robots, except far further reaching and much, much faster (building and installation of robots is more limited by time and money). And AI can make better AI.

If I were to worry, I'd worry most about what will surely be reliance, and the fact it will never truly understand what "correct" is. You could say the same about people, but we never put all our trust in one person.

What I mean is...AI, today, seems like an expert in many technology subjects, for instance. It could tell you many things about digital audio, for instance, today. And to people who don't know, or know a fair amount, it seems like it knows everything about it. But if you ask it something about an expertise that you're intimately familiar with, say, better than 99% of the planet, it's painfully obvious it's just parroting what it's read from many sources. It's got the basic idea right, enough to convince the vast majority of people, but it doesn't really understand.

Well, it won't be long till it's convincing to 99.99% of people on an important subject. Yet still not really understand. But 9999 out of 10000 people would say it's the expert, no human can know and readily access that much knowledge, and have reason to ignore that one other person who knows something is wrong. That's what's scary to me, inevitable reliance. And that's even before we get to the fact it can be created with bias. (Famously, Google Gemini, which displayed a black Nazi when asked to show a German soldier of WWII, obviously in the interest of inclusion, one of its prime directives.)

Right now it's amazing. Yet sometime silly stupid. My friend posed that a symphony takes 60 minutes to play with a 100-piece orchestra, and asked how long it would be with a 200 piece orchestra. Chat GPT explained in clear terms why it would take 30 minutes. The key is that it doesn't know what music is, but it knows that more workers shorten the time to do a task.

Yesterday, I was playing with Suno singing my lyrics. I ran out of songs to try, and wanted to see what it did with one not yet developed. I had two verses, so asked Chat GPT to give me chorus to extend it a bit. I didn't care about the words, but it gave me AABB rhyme. I asked for an alternate, and got the same pattern. I asked if it could give me one in ABAB, it said sure, and gave me another AABB, except it labeled the lines as ABAB. I asked it to rhyme every other line, it said sure, here's one in ABAB, yet gave me one in AABB. I asked it to give another rhyme style, it was AABB. I asked it to try still another style, it said, sure, here's ABCB, giving one in AABB. :facepalm:

But at work, there was an issue that a colleague had posed on slack, and someone gave him a 2000+ character rambling paragraph in response. The colleague showed it to me, and I put it into Copilot, which stripped out the rambling redundancy and summarized it very well, breaking it into clear bullet points. It's really good at restating things, and you can prompt it for style and format. It will be used extensively in emails to customers and the like. Also things like creating charts and such. Business are embracing AI for productivity. At least that aspect won't so much replace people as it will increase productivity.

Tell

But there is a ton of music created that's not about artistic expression? Elevator music, games, soap operas, you name it.

Also AI generation can complement the toolbox of artists just like synths did in 70s?
Does elevator music still exist? And soap opera is just content as well so I guess AI can do more content for that.
But you really underestimate game music, there is some SERIOUSLY awesome game music, I mean lots of it where the artist put all his heart and soul into it :)

Comparing AI to synths is quite wrong though, a synth is an instrument while AI is a text prompt where you tell a computer to do something for you.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same. Music, art etc is about human expression and not about content creation (which AI really will be all about in the end, CONTENT).

That’s how I feel.

I pay attention to new AI stuff to some degree, seeing the latest advances in video and AI art. The midjourney subreddit can display some mind bogging results.

It’s a very strange, empty experience, seeing impressive AI art. For me whenever I experience art with visual or musical it is the artist that I’m appreciating. Every thrill relates to the appreciation that someone was skilled enough to create it.

With AI art there is no one to appreciate. It’s like a black hole belching out finished art. I feel the ground removed beneath my feet as I try to figure out how to appreciate it.

zorpiento

Indeed. The debate has been going on for more than a century, and every time technology is invented, the debate arises, that is, whether the artisanal part in artistic creation is the most important thing or there are other more important creative virtues that dispense with virtuosity.

When they invented photography, the world thought that a painter would never be hired, but the concept took center stage and object and conceptual art was born. The good thing about dispensing with the artisanal part is that you work more on the concepts.

I think something similar can happen now with music and AI, for example suno, is an example of how creative and quality things can be done working with musical concepts, and with your own lyrics.

I recently created an album from my lyrics and with the help of suno, if you want to listen to the result you can do it on different platforms.

promo_card (1).jpg

[Spotify]

[Apple Music]

[Amazon Music]

Top Bottom