• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you more in love with hobby or with music - Question.

Are you more in love with hobby or with music - Question.

• Music

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Hobby

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • To appreciate music, first you need proper audio equipment

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

datobe

Somewhere I saw this question was asked and just recently I realized, in order to really appreciate music, some sort of decent audio equipment is necessary. For 5-6 years I was listening to different music genres with my stock, non-equalized ATH M50X, It sounded so irritating, so often that I almost started to hate music listening. It was hard for me to admit that those headphones were not as great as some people were claiming back then. Then I learned about equalizer and music got better, but now having properly equalized HE400SE and decent AMP I am really falling In love with music! Thanks to the all audiophiles who are trying to make music listening experience better!

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Always both, the music before I knew what HiFi was (my parents would load up the Collaro autochanger in our deccalian 88 record player when I was little more than toddler age and I was well away in the music played (a variety).

For decades, I can hear favourite music on practically anything as my brain makes up the difference. A decent sound system helps me *understand* the music better though (lyrics and what the musicians are actually playing). The cheap 7Hz earphones (Zero and Zero 2) have been an absolute godsend now as I can't always play speakers and both models help me to hear deep into mixes and unravel them better than speakers usually can :D

So, I have to say BOTH aspects really, with MUSIC coming first now I'm retired...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Music.

I realized, in order to really appreciate music, some sort of decent audio equipment is necessary. For 5-6 years
I don't believe that's true for most people. Many (most?) musicians can appreciate and enjoy music at low/average quality.

...For me, audio is more of an "interest" than a "hobby". Except that I've built speakers, and some amplifiers, etc. in the past (and maybe will in the future) and that's a hobby.

OP
datobe

datobe

Oh yes, this was it.

SteveC

If by Hobby you mean both music and the gear, then Hobby describes me very well. You can love music without fancy gear, but the Hobby is about both. I enjoy hearing other systems even if the music being played or the sound of the system is not to my taste. That's one of the funny things about home audio. The reality is that no two systems sound the same. The same equipment in a different room can sound very different. In the end, every system (gear, room, etc.) that is not built solely on measurements or reviews, is a matter of taste.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm having serious Deja Vu.

Music will get you through times of not having a Hi Fi better than having a Hi Fi will get you through times of no music.

il_570xN.2927284491_ms8c.jpg

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If by Hobby you mean both music and the gear, then Hobby describes me very well. You can love music without fancy gear, but the Hobby is about both. I enjoy hearing other systems even if the music being played or the sound of the system is not to my taste. That's one of the funny things about home audio. The reality is that no two systems sound the same. The same equipment in a different room can sound very different. In the end, every system (gear, room, etc.) that is not built solely on measurements or reviews, is a matter of taste.
Even the ones built built on 'objective' measurement are still a matter of taste. Even hard nut objectivists' systems sound fifferent.

That's the best part!

JimBean

Music by far, still pretty new to the world of decent audio equipment. It definitely improves my enjoyment of the music, yet I'm still content with listening to quobuz on my cheap bluetooth earbuds at work.

OJAUSSIE

At age 13 when I was exposed to real hi fidelity reproduction components it was the technology and the whole aesthetics that completely captivated me. Even well into my 40's the "tech" side of equipment was my obsession. Now aged 65 I can safely say the "music" has finally claimed an equal footing with my quality components. Everything has come together in such a way that not a day goes by that I can't go without an hour or two of pure listening enjoyment. It is beyond a hobby. It is part of my quality of life. ;-)

Top Bottom