• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio OPAL1 speaker launches

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a kit but a finished speaker for $800/pair. See what you think…

IMG_0774.jpeg

No real measurements posted as yet. Is a passive radiator design using Dayton drivers.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
just for the sensitivity alone they are to trash, no offense, but what the hell
Yeah, I'm quite the fan of their driver's for D.I.Y, but this seems like something they could have picked a way better combination having access to all of their own drivers.

I'm guessing it's been a tradeoff to get lower F3 maybe by knocking down the entire output on the woofer.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8 ohm and 78.5 dB sensitivity…need a serious amplifier for that
Agree, the driver sensitivity spec is about 83 dB. Assuming that is legit, looks like they traded for more low end. Would be interested to see the crossover. Likely it could take readily some bass boost with Xmax of almost 15mm, so trading off sensitivity for lower bass would not have been my first choice.

Ze Frog

Agree, the driver sensitivity spec is about 83 dB. Assuming that is legit, looks like they traded for more low end. Would be interested to see the crossover. Likely it could take readily some bass boost with Xmax of almost 15mm, so trading off sensitivity for lower bass would not have been my first choice.
Interesting, this is one of their Epique line by the looks of it, should imagine if they are fed the power needed these will be rather impressive low down.

Ze Frog

Just looked at the specs, 32Hz F3, that's actually pretty awesome for the size and sealed. Personally I'd D.I.Y a variant of this utilizing their dome mid that matches the tweeter, I'd be a bit concerned regarding fidelity of midrange with that woofer playing so low.

Ze Frog

This has spurred me to contemplate a 3 way using the 7" and passives, but how do you arrive at a box size for passive radiators? In my mind, never worked with PR's before, but I'm thinking the box should be designed by getting the volume required for target F3 via port that correlates to the tuning frequency of the PR's at a given mass.

Is this the correct method please?

ta240

Major Contributor
I guess power is cheap now but that is the low sensitivity.
They are tiny though 7 x 9-1/2 x 14 in.
It is the old thing of: Size, Efficiency, Bass Extension, pick any two.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're rated for 200w and 102dB at that power... checks out, but you'll want an amp that can really do 200w.

So, like, a couple Fosi monoblocks. Not actually that bad in today's market. Just don't hope for massive peaks from this thing. That's also at 1m so either listen quiet or in a small room.

Still, looks intriguing.

ta240

Major Contributor
It does annoy me when marketing uses picture in a placement that they recommend against.
300-4600_ALT_2.jpg

It looks like it is about an inch out from the wall. The manual states 1-2 feet.
Which makes their placement on top of a shelf, that they show as being okay in the manual, pretty difficult too
1712941507126.png

Last edited:

racingpht

It's a pretty unique product. "passive full-range subwoofer" comes into my mind.

There's no need to bash the sensitivity.. It's a natural trade off in a passive speaker between bass extension and size. And probably the only way to use that particular driver correctly (above average power handling but monstrous x-max).

Power is cheap these days. Take something like BRU5 with a 48v power supply, you should be able to get ~30v RMS relatively clean power of about 140w each. That's already 100db SPL for each speaker down to 30s for your neighbor to take a note. And you have DSP to correct any room mode excited.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah this seems to be a real hard ask to me

like what were they thinking with this given this will be a very very hard drive

in a day where most companies are trying to make 'legacy' passive speakers more easy to integrate

here's a spec sheet which they hid a bit

Specifications:​

• Configuration: Passive 2-Way with dual passive radiators
  • Woofer: 5-1/4" DVC Extended Range Bass Driver with MMAG Technology and carbon fiber cone
  • Tweeter 1-1/8" Reference fabric dome tweeter
  • Nominal Impedance: 8Ω
  • Minimum Impedance: 4.3Ω @ 4,400Hz
  • Frequency Response: 32Hz - 20kHz, -3dB, Half-Space
  • Sensitivity: 78.5 dB SPL
  • Crossover Point: 2,200Hz
  • Power Handling: 200 Watts RMS
  • Maximum Output: 102dB @ rated power
  • Dimensions (WxDxH): 7" x 9-1/2" x 14"
  • Weight: 20.8 lbs.

to me these are compoenent heavy with the dual radiators

that bass ext. is really amazing (32hz) given the size... which admitted is not that small???

nvidia_7

$800 passive 2way micro monitors from dayton audio is not what I would ever anticipated. Interesting.

Dayton usually impresses for their price point though, highly interesting for sure. Who is buying a pair to send to Erin or Amir?

Top Bottom