• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

DrDardis

OK, this is descending into farce now. Lashing out in the mentions!

1712840772556.png

Seems like its still up.

There is something truly wrong with this dude! , He likes to sell a product but he doesn’t want any criticism of the product! I am not sure why people wants to pay for his products , I guess he is going to change the business model drastically , maybe he likes to donate his products!

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doubtful. Bose was very successful at litigation for very similar issues

As others have no doubt replied in this longish thread, Bose was in fact not successful in their action against Consumer Union. The court ruled that a reviewer's words had to be both false and written with malice before the company could be awarded relief. Malice was not demonstrated and the appeals court therefore denied the Bose claim.

As far as this product? The designer is just being an A#$. The correct response, if any response was indicated at all, would have been to reply that the microphone doesn't lie, but his loudspeakers are designed with a particular customer in mind who is not wedded to the charts and graphs, and instead wants to have whatever they offer apart from all that. After all, Bose loudspeakers were always pretty much a commercial success in spite of their polarizing sonic signature and sometimes 'bad' reviews. The same can be said with other designs.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's truly unsettling is this persons extreme behavior limited exclusively to speaker design and running his company ? should distant relatives provide DNA samples for forensic genealogy ?

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I don't think what we are seeing is specifically any sort of engineer disease.
Ha! Lordy! Takes one to know one. As an engineer it often becomes difficult to discuss our demands on objectivity in technical discussions. What becomes even more difficult is managing engineers and having to deal with damage control from the aftermath of their release into the wilds of the general public. As long as they are corralled together with the gate locked they survive well.

All I am saying is engineers are more like Spock…

Last edited:

stringer

What's really sad is how much everyone is rooting for this guy while he continues to double down on the problematic behavior. I mean sure, there have been a few ad homs, and the redundancy is annoying. But overall I get the sense that the vast majority of members in this forum love a redemption story and are really honestly rooting for the guy and hopes he turns a corner. A little mea culpa and a positive attitude can go a long way. Nothing on the Internet is worth fighting over and over again forever. Unless he starts talking about how vinyl is the only true high fidelity source, then you will see the real ad hominems come out! <s>

Golfx

Forum Donor
What's really sad is how much everyone is rooting for this guy while he continues to double down on the problematic behavior. I mean sure, there have been a few ad homs, and the redundancy is annoying. But overall I get the sense that the vast majority of members in this forum love a redemption story and are really honestly rooting for the guy and hopes he turns a corner. A little mea culpa and a positive attitude can go a long way. Nothing on the Internet is worth fighting over and over again forever. Unless he starts talking about how vinyl is the only true high fidelity source, then you will see the real ad hominems come out! <s>
Regarding turning the corner and becoming a better person—Does that really happen to adults?

ConnorG

This is unhinged behavior. How are you going to attack a reviewer and threaten litigation over “Incorrect measurements” while simultaneously claiming you are under no obligation to release measurements of your own? This dude is overdue for a reality check. This is incredibly sad to see.
IMG_8420.jpeg

Golfx

Forum Donor
I didn’t know about this company before this string. I will be glad to ignore it in the future. Humans display predictable behavior based on their past behavior.

lordhumungous

You do not need to be right. You need to cost a defendant enough money that they give up fighting.
This is how the U.S legal system works. You don’t need to be right . My business has fought a couple of lawsuits over 40 years where I knew legally I would win ….. in the end.
The problem was fighting till the end would cost 50k in legal fees so the objective is to settle for less than 50k unless you can get an immediate dismissal of the suit . Failure to state a claim is one legal challenge defendants use early to try to get a dismissal.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
What an obnoxious article. Amar Bose was a visionary engineer whose work brought joy to more people than every audio critic in the world combined.
And a guy who sued and/or tried to silence people who said things he didn’t like about his products. The problems Consumer Reports called out the 901 on, such as the six-foot-wide violins, are real and audible to anyone. People have a right to their opinions, particularly when objectively verifiable, whether Dr. Bose liked it or not. If the principles put forth as the basis for the 901 were as universal as Bose said, they would’ve been adopted by all other speaker manufacturers as soon as the patents ran out.

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
Bose was a religion in search of believers. Shame on Consumer Reports for holding them up to reality.

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
What I enjoy most about the modern audio hobby is success requires the rare synergy between art and science. What disturbs me the most about the modern audio hobby is it often exposes the unavoidable conflict between art and science. In order for a musician’s intended performance to be experienced reliably and consistently in our living room is 100% science. How the musician chooses to perform is 100% art. The Eric vs Erin conflict is simply the result of the common confusion between art and science...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, this is descending into farce now. Lashing out in the mentions!

View attachment 362986
What kind of copy & paste nonsense is that, they're having a breakdown over there! They just need to stop all communication and wait for Erin's revised review and then make a final comment with regard to the revised review & then just leave it & speak no more about it for all eternity!

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What I enjoy most about the modern audio hobby is success requires the rare synergy between art and science. What disturbs me the most about the modern audio hobby is it often exposes the unavoidable conflict between art and science. In order for a musician’s intended performance to be experienced reliably and consistently in our living room is 100% science. How the musician chooses to perform is 100% art. The Eric vs Erin conflict is simply the result of the common confusion between art and science...

Imo, the issue is that their is a section of the market/industry/hobby that does not want science to be involved at any level. To be clear that section includes manufactures and consumers.

Imo, the manufactures who have a problem with science, are the ones who only care about maximizing profit. For example companies wo want you to believe a multiple thousand dollar cable is in a completely different league than a $50 one. They fill their product descriptions with colorful Prose, but give very little technical detail.

Imo, The consumer side is all over the place, but I think you can break it down into two very general categories. The first category are the classist type people who truly believe that the more a product costs the better it is. The second category are the ones who truly believe that science is incapable of classifying/quantifying what they claim to hear with their ears.

Top Bottom