• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or he’s buying time to rent a Klippel and measure different ways until he gets something he sort likes. Data-mining, if you will. He’s already stated that he knows @amirm measured from the “wrong angle”, although how he knows that, I don’t know (I’m sure he could make up an explanation tho).
Sigh... I hope not. If he does, he'll just hold out his measurements as the right ones without any proof, and will spend months refusing to prove that he measured correctly by also measuring a known reference.

Old Iron

OH sorry! That is my nick name!
Thought I was posting to Youtube stupid stunts!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
he'll just hold out his measurements as the right ones without any proof

Just have AI print up something that looks good...

Gee. I've written code in the dim past, but this AI stuff just boggles me simple mind...

MoStyles

Sadly I'm not going to AXPONA this year. I hope many in this group walk right past Tekton's booth/room and boycott their products... Did we ever get a GoFundme page setup for Erin? (Sorry if I missed it in the chat)

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Guys, i am from Europe, and i understand from the discussion here that legal system is quite different in US, but - From my observation of the progress i think that:
1. The Tekton company is practically nobody, it has no serious weight/ business volume/respected name on the market which is here in EU being the first part of perceived seriousness of any legal action taken, you have to prove that you have been hurt in relation to the existing value of your brand, which would be very, very difficult if not impossible.
2.The fact that the owner of Tekton publicly states that the "Trubadour is out of production until this situation is resolved" shows nothing but totally amateur-ish evil plan of the guy to sue for virtual/nonexistent damages and makes no sense at all- it shows that the guy doesn´t know what he´s doing and he´s clearly (very badly) improvising.
Well at least here in Europe you have to prove that you lost some business because of my actions before you can sue me for any compensations, he´s obviously trying to create
impression that the production line which spits a pair of Tektons every minute had to stop because o Erin´s review, well, from looking at the company digital footprint i am guessing that it is semi-garage operation with no means to prove such claim.
3. The guy has actually proven in the process that he has no measurements of his own at all, otherwise he would publish them immediatelly, right? He could also make and publish the "wrong" measurements without the legs/plugs to prove his point. His statement that "Tekton Design does not forward or bright" is just pure nonsense hardly useful in any eventual lawsuit, impossible to prove since all those characterictics are purely subjective, again showing that he just feels like unrightfully hurt genius of audio.

4. From my point of view, actually it could and perhaps should be Erin suing him with a very good chances to win, because the accusations against him have no grounds at all.
I am only surprised by the fact that Erin had folded so quickly and took the review down facing only empty threats. The fact that the Tecton owner took the Troubadour speaker off the web page seems purelly anecdotal and pointing clearly to intent of hiding something, what and why would be questions of even the worst lawyer i know.
So this is my 50 cents if i am quoting this US saying correctly. Keep up the good work! :)
commentsww.png

Last edited:

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I believe it has been mentioned before:

1712721670382.jpeg

Why “going forward … will”? Is he ‘just’ getting measurement equipment?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 362566

CooL! Another win for the audio gearheads. Posting frequency response and such will be a major advantage for audio gearheads. :D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am only surprised by the fact that Erin had folded so quickly and took the review down facing only empty threats.
The one US-based bit of insight I can provide here is that legal cases are often more expensive in the US than EU even if it's the same type of case. And even if you are 100% in the right, it is very hard to avoid spending a lot on a lawsuit if someone actually takes you to court.

It is fairly rare to get a case dismissed before it actually goes to trial. The standard is high. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that there has to be no logical way the other party could win. In this case, there is no practical way that we think Tekton could win. However, logically, it's possible that Erin was somehow negligent in the way he reviewed the speaker, so the judge would probably give Tekton a chance to prove that.

I know almost nothing about Erin's finances, but I do not get the impression he's super rich. You can't blame him for wanting to dodge a lawsuit, even one he would easily win. Winning a lawsuit can be very expensive and time-consuming.

Standing up to a bully is what we all want to see. But we're also seeing what seems to be somewhat irrational behavior from Eric as well. And if winning a lawsuit is expensive, winning a lawsuit against an irrational plaintiff can be even slower and more expensive. It's not very dramatic but I think Erin trying to avoid a fight is prudent regardless of who deserves what.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The one US-based bit of insight I can provide here is that legal cases are often more expensive in the US than EU even if it's the same type of case. And even if you are 100% in the right, it is very hard to avoid spending a lot on a lawsuit if someone actually takes you to court.

I know almost nothing about Erin's finances, but I do not get the impression he's super rich. You can't blame him for wanting to dodge a lawsuit, even one he would easily win. Winning a lawsuit can be very expensive and time-consuming.
... and it's emotionally very very draining all the worry and fear of the unknown.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... and it's emotionally very very draining all the worry and fear of the unknown.
Totally. If you're insanely lucky it gets dismissed with prejudice and you only have to pay your attorney like $5k to get that done. Realistically, BEST CASE, a lawsuit like this drags on for months or years, with lots of annoyance, stress, and work involved, and at the end all you get is your money back, after fronting tens of thousands of dollars, maybe hundreds.

I assume Erin would rather get clear of this guy and go back to reviewing speakers instead of dealing with lawyers. So I don't think there is any shame in trying to avoid the royal, interminable pain in the ass that this lawsuit would be, if Mr. Alexander actually filed it.

Just imagine having to interact with him on an extended basis and hear the same nonsense over and over, and all the while it's costing you huge sums of money? No thanks. Whatever Erin does to get past this unscathed, short of posting a false good review, I won't lose any respect for him.

For us this is a good old fashioned internet drama, but for him there is a risk of serious hardship if this goes south, so I say let's go easy on the "erin should do X" commentary.

Last edited:

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Totally. If you're insanely lucky it gets dismissed with prejudice and you only have to pay your attorney like $5k to get that done. Realistically, BEST CASE, a lawsuit like this drags on for months or years, with lots of annoyance, stress, and work involved, and at the end all you get is your money back, after fronting tens of thousands of dollars, maybe hundreds.
I see.. so wouldn´t it be the best to counter-sue immediatelly?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't imagine how heartbreaking that would be. Demoralizing etc.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see.. so wouldn´t it be the best to counter-sue immediatelly?
If you can afford it, sure. But that just means paying two lawyers to pursue cases over an extended period of time, instead of one.

The US legal system is unfortunately often more like a war of attrition on who can afford to keep fighting longer, and not about who's right. In general, the vast majority of cases settle before they go to court for this reason.

If you are dealing with a madman who immediately jumps to filing lawsuits with a court, you should treat them like a rabid dog and avoid them however you can, not a rational person that can be negotiated with.

Groove01

I am starting to get Noel Lee flash backs - make it stop - lol.

From what I have gathered from some cursory research, Tekton is hardly a corporate juggernaut. More like a dude with a website and a warehouse (and not an especially nice warehouse).

Yeah, he could pursue this legally, but it’s coming out of his pocket and from what I could gather from public records, it would hurt. He ain’t exactly operating with a legal war chest - lol.

I think he’s blowing a lot of smoke and honestly, likely lacks the resources to pursue this into court. In the event he was in fact daft enough to do so, strategic and relatively inexpensive motions to delay would likely rid him of such silly notions in short order as he starts bleeding $$. A simple change of venue could quadruple his cost, if out of state, etc. (I have to believe good Counsel would surely advise him not to pursue that course of action)

Speaking of Noel Lee, whom I absolutely loathe with a passion. This has to be one of my favorite turn of events of all time.

Ignore all the cable stuff and it’s pure GOLD - lol. (And relevant to the topic at hand)

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am starting to get Noel Lee flash backs - make it stop - lol.

From what I have gathered from some cursory research, Tekton is hardly a corporate juggernaut. More like a dude with a website and a warehouse (and not an especially nice warehouse).

Yeah, he could pursue this legally, but it’s coming out of his pocket and from what I could gather from public records, it would hurt. He ain’t exactly operating with a legal war chest - lol.

I think he’s blowing a lot of smoke and honestly, likely lacks the resources to pursue this into court. In the event he was in fact daft enough to do so, strategic and relatively inexpensive motions to delay would likely rid him of such silly notions in short order as he starts bleeding $$. A simple change of venue could quadruple his cost, if out of state, etc. (I have to believe good Counsel would surely advise him not to pursue that course of action)

Speaking of Noel Lee, whom I absolutely loathe with a passion. This has to be one of my favorite turn of events of all time.

Ignore all the cable stuff and it’s pure GOLD - lol. (And relevant to the topic at hand)

So, people are wondering what kind of attorney could possibly be advising this guy... it's entirely possible he has himself for a client, so to speak.

In which case I think you're right, the best tactic would be to force him to appear in court, in AL, frequently. Maybe he was counting on representing himself for no cash outlay. That plan would be blown to bits by a handful of plane tickets and hotel stays.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 362566

From what he specs of the “Ulfberht”

• Ultra-linear frequency response with ±.5dB deviation from 70Hz-20kHz
  • Simple and elegant minimum phase (single crossover element) mid-range and tweeter
  • Ultra-linear, entirely time-invariant minimum-phase mid-range section “

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Wait, now he claims that M-Lore which Amir reviewed also need feet to be properly sealed? This looks like a designed backdoor to debunk unwanted reviewers, as you'll have to talk to him directly to know it and if you just review them by yourself without buying, then they don't work properly. Pretty smart, just evil

Top Bottom