• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Wilson Audio: The hype, the cost, the size and the sheer ugliness.

Robin L

Master Contributor
But tell me if you wouldn't consider befriending a neighbor that has them... just so that you can audition them.:)
I dunno. There's somebody I do know that has a pair but I don't know if I'd want to reconnect with him. Given my druthers, I'd go back to 30 years ago when I was recording some first-rate classical musicians and had regular exposure to the real thing.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I guess I was slacking by not including the "original" before the words ..."Manley products"
We all know who used to wear the boots in that family... before a 'few adjustments' were necessitated.
Isn't there also a son involved in the current company?
For sure David had his issues, but who among us are perfect?
It's still a damn shame the way he was portrayed and treated by some in the media.
He was after all the man that designed all the first products and it was him that brought VTL from
South Africa to the US and built VTL - Manley into a thriving high end manufacturer.
Much of their current amp line still follow his designs.
His recordings done under the ViTaL label, some available on SACD under the Fone label, were
done on a recording chain totally of his own design from the mic's forward. The CD's continue to
be some of the best sounding sources I own.
I had a number of conversations with him during those days that I very much enjoyed.
A pair of Compact Monoblock amps gave me excellent sound for close to 20 years.
RIP David, you deserve far more respect than is offered.

Scull_David_Manley_04_corrected_Robinson_300dpi.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'd ask you for his contact info, if I was a neighbor living near '1 mile east of Sleater Kinney Rd'!;)
Much farther than that. He's a reviewer for Stereophile.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a number of conversations with him during those days that I very much enjoyed.
Really!?!? How cool!

I was once invited to his 'farmhouse' compound, which later was turned into the Manley Studio - in Chino, CA.
TL&DR: If my memory serves me well at all: He truly was a brainac, non-condescending, yet down to earth; << way-way above my professional weight-class!:facepalm:
...RIP David, you deserve far more respect than is offered...
Amen!

Teeter

I do not like speakers that are more Neutral sounding. I am a movie person, needing dynamic sounding speakers with clarity. Yet, the speakers are presentable for internet MP3.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TEKTON

can't believe I'm the first to say this here, with the current dust up :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I do not like speakers that are more Neutral sounding. I am a movie person,
Why, wouldn't you like to hear the soundtrack the way the producers intended it to sound?
I am a movie person, needing dynamic sounding speakers with clarity.
Speakers can be dynamic and clear yet be neutral at the same time.
One doesn't negate the other.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Teeter

@Sal1950 Movie sound tracks sound just fine to my 80 year old ears. Center channel has to have more Treble. More horn speakers are my preference, my friend. Classical music is not for me. Give me the live feeling!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why, wouldn't you like to hear the soundtrack the way the producers intended it to sound?
I'm not sure if that's fully possible given the range of equipment and rooms used by recording engineers.

A review of the KEF Blade 2 in Stereophile gave me pause about this notion. The reviewer (JA, a recording engineer) discussed how a mix sounded different from what he heard when mixing it, while noting that the speaker was near state-of-the-art in its performance capabilities.

In short, there may not be a fully "correct" transducer, but certainly some are less "correct" than others. But, hey, didn't you use La Scalas? :D

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything with "Research" in the name. Like Shunyata Research.

And Daniel "Hertz" speakers. Looks like Putin has a pair in his palace. Milk, really?

kux1pt6ge0i61.jpg
No ... White Russians!

Bleib

Major Contributor
I do not like speakers that are more Neutral sounding. I am a movie person, needing dynamic sounding speakers with clarity. Yet, the speakers are presentable for internet MP3.
Hmm, a well made neutral speaker provides both plenty of dynamics and clarity..

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
TEKTON

can't believe I'm the first to say this here, with the current dust up :cool:
I was looking at them back in ‘18. Even planned on flying out to hear them. Had several calls with Eric, too; some really good conversations.
Admittedly, the stunningly effusive praise in several reviews was pretty convincing.
But one thing struck me more and more… this avoidance of any measurements being shared. Eventually a tipping point occurred when I heard the Speakers I ended up buying and something kind of dodgy that Eric said on a call raised a warning flag for me.

Now, I’m not a huge New Record Day follower, but I have watched several of Ron’s videos from time to time.
Did anybody catch the dust-up that happened a few years back after he had some Double Impacts in?

There were threats of litigation, public apologies… now there is no evidence of any of that except in peoples memory.

Simple rule: don’t do business with companies like that. Ever.

Of course, much like Emotiva and other companies... their fan collective is super loyal and almost worshipful of the company and product. They can do no wrong, even when they clearly are.

*sighs

And people ask why I have no faith in humanity.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking at them back in ‘18. Even planned on flying out to hear them. Had several calls with Eric, too; some really good conversations.
Admittedly, the stunningly effusive praise in several reviews was pretty convincing.
But one thing struck me more and more… this avoidance of any measurements being shared. Eventually a tipping point occurred when I heard the Speakers I ended up buying and something kind of dodgy that Eric said on a call raised a warning flag for me.

Now, I’m not a huge New Record Day follower, but I have watched several of Ron’s videos from time to time.
Did anybody catch the dust-up that happened a few years back after he had some Double Impacts in?

There were threats of litigation, public apologies… now there is no evidence of any of that except in peoples memory.

Simple rule: don’t do business with companies like that. Ever.

Of course, much like Emotiva and other companies... their fan collective is super loyal and almost worshipful of the company and product. They can do no wrong, even when they clearly are.

*sighs

And people ask why I have no faith in humanity.
Why is it that the one guy I knew who owned both Emotiva and Tekton proved to be a backstabber and adulterer? Must just be coincidence.

Regardless, I won’t own either brand.

Reactions: EJ3

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if that's fully possible given the range of equipment and rooms used by recording engineers.
We're all aware of the circle of confusion and that all speakers have their strengths and weaknesses.
IMHO I still don't see any of that as justification for choosing colored speakers to watch movies?
Looking towards dynamic speakers, maybe looking to the higher side of the efficiency scale, yes.
Purposely colored, no.

Top Bottom