• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

amarsicola

Forum Donor
All this story seems to me as a turning point to create an AudioScienceReview Foundation to support independent reviewers.
E.g. when funds will be raised, if by chance Tekton does not proceed with legal actions against Erin, the foundation will own such a fund. At that point that money will be a safety fund for any other reviewer which commits to some quality standards of review in compliance with ASR, in terms of measurement devices, methodology, independence, transparency, correctness in dealing with manufacturers etc.
When dealing with reviewers backed up by the ASR Foundation, manufacturers will be less bully.
And manufacturers on the other hand will know which standards are applied in measurements and have a standardized procedure to have their products reexamined.

Last edited:

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What a poor move from tekton. Going against independent reviewers is a REALLY bad idea for a consumer facing company.

We all make mistakes. I hope tekton realises this is the wrong way to go about it. I've seen more than one company go under after doing something like this.

Last edited:

lordhumungous

What a poor move from tekton. Going against independent reviewers is a REALLY bad idea for a consumer facing company.

We all make mistakes. I hope tekton survives.
I hope that Tekton decides to reflect on the reviews, not sue or threaten to sue , and do what Schiit did , make better measuring speakers,electronics .
I know your initial instinct on a bad review can
sometimes be anger but instead breathe a little and let your wisdom not anger help you make the right decision .
My worst decisions have ALWAYS been made when I’m angry .

Haskil

Forum Donor
For a Frenchman, this story is incredible.

This story would have a lot of difficulty landing in front of a judge. As long as the measurements have not been manipulated and are therefore reproducible, publishing them with comments explaining them and giving the tester's opinion is not illegal.

I am obviously ready to donate money to support Erin who is doing remarkable work. As for this manufacturer who intimidates him: with such a mentality, he will never go far professionally...

(In France, currently, the Ministry of Finance is hunting down internet influencers who earn money without declaring it or promote products without indicating that they are interested: they are immediately rectified and also pay huge fines. )

Roland68

Major Contributor

We all make mistakes. I hope tekton survives.
For a manufacturer, it is always stupid and dubious behavior to take action against an opinion or a recession. The negative criticism of this behavior is now being discussed in many forums around the world and will deter many buyers in the future.
And the only person to blame for this is the company owner himself.

Intelligent manufacturers always first seek a constructive exchange, which usually results in a mutual and positive understanding that can then also be used for advertising purposes.
Nothing makes customers more curious than controversial and positive discussions about a product. And that's exactly what @Eric Alexander has already missed twice.
Because from everything I've read from @amirm, he is always interested in a constructive exchange with the manufacturer and also accepts opinions other than his own, especially when it comes to development philosophies.

This manufacturer has already burned through the value of a 5-figure advertising budget twice because of its behavior. In addition, this image is negatively received by every potential customer.
He would be well advised to hire someone to manage his company's image and marketing and protect him from himself in the future.

coonmanx

not sure if allready posted, but this shows how they come out of the box

LOL. I am trying to watch this video right now but my first impression is about why they have to play music and do a slow mo unpacking of the speaker...

Can you just cut to the chase already...

Not to mention why I am listening to a guy in pajamas telling me that he likes the blue color...

MacClintock

After watching Eric Alexander's behavior here and elsewhere, and seeing the design and measured results of his speakers, I can easily imagine it never being resolved.
It seems obvious that these speakers, and most likely all speakers from the company, measure horribly no matter how or by whom theses measurements will be performed. So best this guy sues himself.

coonmanx

Well, this discussion has made its way over to Audio Karma as well. I used to participate a lot over there until they started bashing ASR. I still go there and read threads but am not an active participant these days. Here is a screenshot of the start of the thread. I am going to go back and read it now, but it is definitely not good publicity...
Screenshot at 2024-04-08 09-01-14.png

coonmanx

So far there is a lot of bashing of Tekton going on in that thread. I guess most people don't enjoy being bullied like this...

That thread was started yesterday and only has 13 replies so far so it is only getting going. And for Tekton, not in a good way. Also that thread is at the very top of the speaker section. So it is active. The bad publicity about this is definitely spreading. Arrogance is not a good look.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, this discussion has made its way over to Audio Karma as well. I used to participate a lot over there until they started bashing ASR. I still go there and read threads but am not an active participant these days. Here is a screenshot of the start of the thread. I am going to go back and read it now, but it is definitely not good publicity...
View attachment 362279
Who would have thought, Audio Karma and ASR finding common ground... Then you really know you messed up :facepalm:

Ze Frog

I like to see the video. I like to see where @amirm measurements on the m-lore are wrong. You claim you proof.
In the while i get some popcorn.
If there was proof Amir's measurements were wrong, owner would have swiftly provided their own and if had any sense would have worked with Amir to determine what could have caused such amicably.

The fact he didn't, then immediately removed the product should tell you all you need to know. If he has really done the measurements and engineered the speaker to a certain way he would have been confident enough that the situation could be explained and then his measurements could be matched by Amir using athe recommended way as per Tekton's testing.

Truth is that is just how they measure to the industry standard which didn't need to be an issue if he believed in tuning by ear and measurements aren't everything, as if people enjoy the sound regardless it's a non issue, he had no need to get all defensive and aggressive, only thing that might have made him do that is he's clearly been playing both camps regarding his methodology for what makes a great speaker.

coonmanx

I am going to keep following that thread over there as well. So far there isn't a whole lot of support for someone who is attempting to intimidate a reviewer. I think most of us believe that reviewers should be allowed to do whatever they want. And us, as critical people, can choose who to watch or believe. So far I enjoy the videos that I have seen from Erin. He seems to do a good and fair job.

Also, this threat of a lawsuit seems to be just that. Nothing more than a bullying tactic. It will backfire if it hasn't already.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If there was proof Amir's measurements were wrong, owner would have swiftly provided their own and if had any sense would have worked with Amir to determine what could have caused such amicably.

The fact he didn't, then immediately removed the product should tell you all you need to know. If he has really done the measurements and engineered the speaker to a certain way he would have been confident enough that the situation could be explained and then his measurements could be matched by Amir using athe recommended way as per Tekton's testing.

Truth is that is just how they measure to the industry standard which didn't need to be an issue if he believed in tuning by ear and measurements aren't everything, as if people enjoy the sound regardless it's a non issue, he had no need to get all defensive and aggressive, only thing that might have made him do that is he's clearly been playing both camps regarding his methodology for what makes a great speaker.

I not like to play psychology games and i have no magic glass sphere to see the future in. I just like to see the video. What i believe is not importent. What i see in the video or if there comes no video IS importend. There always can be differences in measurements. Thats why discussing them is very helpfull. Let see what happens. ;)

Golfx

Forum Donor
This was posted as relevant over at Audioholics recalling a similar incident from 2008 against Blue Jeans Cable by Monster Cable. It is genuinely fun to read.

Top Bottom