• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Pinkynator

My worst decisions have ALWAYS been made when I’m angry .

This is probably inappropriate to say, but my father, when I started locking myself up in my room many decades ago, gave me one piece of incredibly solid advice that I tried to follow as much as I could, when circumstances allowed:

Go polish your nob / spank your monkey / play pocket pool, and if you're angry at something or someone even after you did that, then you are at least calm enough to deal with the situation without lashing out and hurting yourself or somebody else.

I messed up badly several times by not doing that.

coonmanx

This was posted as relevant over at Audioholics recalling a similar incident from 2008 against Blue Jeans Cable by Monster Cable. It is genuinely fun to read.
This is hilarious. Yeah, Monster has a bad reputation for being sue happy. I personally wouldn't get near any of their porducts for that very reason.

coonmanx

This is probably inappropriate to say, but my father, when I started locking myself up in my room many decades ago, gave me one piece of incredibly solid advice that I tried to follow as much as I could, when circumstances allowed:

Go polish your nob / spank your monkey / play pocket pool, and if you're angry at something or someone even after you did that, then you are at least calm enough to deal with the situation without lashing out and hurting yourself or somebody else.

I messed up badly several times by not doing that.
LOL. Priceless!

prerich

I'm down if he starts one.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Truth is that is just how they measure to the industry standard which didn't need to be an issue if he believed in tuning by ear and measurements aren't everything, as if people enjoy the sound regardless it's a non issue, he had no need to get all defensive and aggressive, only thing that might have made him do that is he's clearly been playing both camps regarding his methodology for what makes a great speaker.

Imo, he is for sure trying to play both sides.

For example:

top of the page:
Named after medieval-era Viking swords, the Ulfberht loudspeaker is the ultimate hammer/butterfly of sonic expression, striking out at the listener with percussive elements and a constant velocity that matches all musical instruments and the human voice. The listening experience is an entirely new level of realism with a huge soundstage, energy, realism and perfect finer details. It’s a bold claim, but we believe that the Ulfberht is the most acoustically advanced audiophile loudspeaker available on earth today.

bottom of the page:
High-end loudspeaker manufacturers have become very good at making visually striking products that are undoubtedly works of visual art… but unfortunately, those looks don’t necessarily translate to better sound. At Tekton Design, our emphasis has always been to create the highest-performing, yet cost-effective loudspeakers conceivable – all of which are solidly grounded in electro-acoustical physics. We reject the notion that high-end hi-fi needs to be high-priced, and boldly ask: Do you want a pretty pair of museum pieces that put out “good enough” sound? Or are you ready for loudspeakers that produce a level of fidelity positively guaranteed to rival or often exceed the biggest and most expensive brands out there at a fraction of the cost?

mns3dhm

LOL. Priceless!
Monster Cable at that time had a reputation for sending letters to smaller cable manufacturers threatening litigation against them for patent infringement. Unbeknownst to them, the owner of Blue Jeans Cable was a former patent attorney who knew damn well that Monster Cable's claims against him were frivolous and an attempt to limit and eliminate competition. He basically invited Monster Cable to sue and made it clear how that would proceed.

Unfortunately, Erin Hardison is not an attorney and needs our support to defend his first amendment rights. That is what this long discussion is really all about.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monster Cable at that time had a reputation for sending letters to smaller cable manufacturers threatening litigation against them for patent infringement. Unbeknownst to them, the owner of Blue Jeans Cable was a former patent attorney who knew damn well that Monster Cable's claims against him were frivolous and an attempt to limit and eliminate competition. He basically invited Monster Cable to sue and made it clear how that would proceed.

Unfortunately, Erin Hardison is not an attorney and needs our support to defend his first amendment rights. That is what this long discussion is really all about.

Is Monster still a strong presence in Audio? Not sure. This should be a cautionary tale for Tekton... I for one will never buy any of their wares.

Peace

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Race car drivers know that at some point there is going to be crash and do all they can technically and skillfully to mitigate and avoid a catastrophic event, even much before it happens. I read through dozens of posts over at Audiogon where Amir defended the science and debunked the "it can't be measured" gurus with candor and composure. They eventually pulled that thread when it was clear who had the upper hand. Consumer Reports, numerous automotive sites/magazines, every hobby from woodworking to kitting do objective testing of gear and many make business out of it. Erin needs to stand next to tests with conviction and belief in his test results, as Amir does, and let Tekton frivolously launch the first real volley, not just words. His credibility and stature as reviewer is on the line if this is his chosen vocation. As many have said this is going blow over. Why would Tekton pull products off the market immediately after a so-so review if they knew it was not flawed. This is pure intimidation that Erin needs to refute by standing by his work product.

Shorty

Libel/slander used to be pretty much dead torts in the US. The rise of social media, and some recent prominent case seem to have changed all that. A casual remark on twitter (or whatever it's called) reaches millions of people in an instant and real permanent damage can be done to someone's life. A good example is Rudy Giuliani, Esq. who learned that the hard way.

Talking about a speaker not measuring well is one thing, but dispa

This was posted as relevant over at Audioholics recalling a similar incident from 2008 against Blue Jeans Cable by Monster Cable. It is genuinely fun to read.

Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it.” :D

teched58

<snip>Why would Tekton pull products off the market immediately after a so-so review if they knew it was not flawed. This is pure intimidation that Erin needs to refute by standing by his work product.

Eric Alexander "pulling" products off the market is just another empty move.

Tekton manufactures speakers to order. There is no factory in China that he's paying to produce speakers in quantity that he has to "shut down."

Tekton does not have a manufacturing line up and running. SO THERE IS NOTHING FOR ERIC TO "PULL."

All Eric means when he says he's "pulling it from production" is that he's removed it from his website. So no one can order that particular speaker during the time it has been "pulled." That means they won't take your money and then start building the speaker you ordered by drilling vertically unaligned holes for the tweeter array.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1000029853.jpg

1000029854.gif

I'm sure both @amirm and Erin will be glad to learn that they just are "weekend reviewers" with basically no clue about how to use a Klippel NFS properly... :rolleyes:

doug s.

Eric Alexander "pulling" products off the market is just another empty move.

Tekton manufactures speakers to order. There is no factory in China that he's paying to produce speakers in quantity that he has to "shut down."

Tekton does not have a manufacturing line up and running. SO THERE IS NOTHING FOR ERIC TO "PULL."

All Eric means when he says he's "pulling it from production" is that he's removed it from his website. So no one can order that particular speaker during the time it has been "pulled." That means they won't take your money and then start building the speaker you ordered by drilling vertically unaligned holes for the tweeter array.
i'm pretty sure that, if you contact eric and request a pair, he will build them for you.

doug s.

ta240

Major Contributor
it's actually the middle tweeter moved outside just a bit for some reason, if I had them it would drive me crazy once I saw that
View attachment 362233
I built a pair of DIY speakers and the tweeter on one was 1/16" closer to the woofer. It drove me crazy and I built them outside with a skill saw and a handheld router and it was only noticeable if you looked at that specific spot on one speaker and then immediately looked at that spot on the other.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Meh! I bet when the dust settles, Eric Alexander will start a new Company named TekNot, swap the Left & Right speakers, new paint color options, bump the price by a factor of 10 (very important!), and he'll be back to the good ol' days when Klippel did not exist. :p

tim916

To me, the real headline here is to avoid purchasing stuff from goofy, lunatic fringe brands like Tekton.
A lesson I learned long ago. People like to believe they've stumbled on some great new audio discovery so they latch on to these brands and their creators and it forms into a type of cult. In audio, for every one fringe brand that has some merit there's fifty that are just passing through, and will eventually be forgotten. I've seen it so many times.

Top Bottom