• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know how many of you have been reading the Tekton review thread. But it seems that the company designer/owner has threatened Erin, forcing him to take down his video and written review of one of his speakers. As we all know, Erin's core contributions are measurements of the speaker and what he speaks of, is his subjective opinion. Neither of these is cause for threats of lawsuit and intimidation to take down a review with nary an attempt by the company to show what is in error. The right of a product owner to send what he has bought for testing and publication of the same is one of the most cherished things in my view. I hate to see Erin cave in just because he doesn't have the money to defend his work and injure consumer's rights in the process.

So what you all think about creating a fund to help him?

If you are in favor, someone needs to help setup the fund and let Erin know.

Edit: this is what we are dealing with:

index.php

UPDATE: Countless members have been supportive and committed to donating such a defense fund. Better yet, two member lawyers offered to help and I put one in touch with Erin. Progress is being made. Thank you everyone!

UPDATE 2: Erin got the support he needed and released his updated video. So at this point, we don't need to fund anything (although there is discussions around funding a general organization to help in these situations).

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am OK for tossing a few buckerooz for legal defense but I want to see some effort on Erin's part before doing that. He should push back and not cave to this hostile man.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great gesture, Amir. Maybe this will be the start of a better relationship between the both of you. Here's hoping. And no one should ever be sued for expressing their opinion on an audio product. So yes, an Erin defense fund.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am OK for tossing a few buckerooz for legal defense but I want to see some effort on Erin's part before doing that. He should push back and not cave to this hostile man.
If he knows that we are behind him, then he will have a stronger backbone.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Should Erin be here for this? It is him that is cornerstone to this...

Katzz

Erin appears to be redoing the review, this time with the feet installed in the holes on the bottom of the speaker, since that was one of Eric's complaints in Erin's review. I'm going to contribute If Eric still insists on threatening Erin with legal action after the new results are published.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

Beave

Major Contributor
I would think (hope?) that there is a lawyer here or one following Erin's reviews who would be willing to donate his time and effort to thwart this bullying behavior and call the bluff that this threat of a lawsuit really is.

Katzz

Erin reviewed the Tekton Troubadour and posted it to Patreon, before taking it down.

If you try to find this speaker on the Tekton's website, it's down.
Here's the current link:

However, wayback machine cached it here:

I don't see any mention of having feet installed as a requirement. In fact, there's no where on the website that says anything about feet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Oh yeah, Erin mentions this in one of his youtube comments
Erin.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would think (hope?) that there is a lawyer here or one following Erin's reviews who would be willing to donate his time and effort to thwart this bullying behavior and call the bluff that this threat of a lawsuit really is.
That would be ideal. I am happy to donate a high-end DAC to that attorney as a thank you note. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are probably lawyers in this community who might be willing and able to help for pro bono?
There are expenses for a lawyer to address this rubbish. I don't expect anybody to work for free. This is a professional matter and perhaps having a paid professional would be better than a freeby that has limited time and resources for pro bono.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to have form letters from a lawyer for addressing such a sticky litigation situation in the future. That way if @amirm or Erin is threatened they know how to handle the basic first phases of the matters.

YSC

Major Contributor
Erin reviewed the Tekton Troubadour and posted it to Patreon, before taking it down.

If you try to find this speaker on the Tekton's website, it's down.
Here's the current link:

However, wayback machine cached it here:

I don't see any mention of having feet installed as a requirement. In fact, there's no where on the website that says anything about feet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Any link to patreon? I am not wealthy by any means but if it's for Erin's good in this silly company issue I will take my share on that

Top Bottom