• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Feel it in the chest track.

Andysu

Major Contributor
you feel it with duel 15" , single be tiny % less , x4 15" certainly feel it
we don't generally feel bass pressing against our bodies on a daily basis , if holding large sheet of cardboard against your chest you may notice some street traffic , or thunderstorm press your chest against large window you might feel it ( anyway just stating some facts )

anyway back to star trek III THX/TAP Dolby stereo , enterprise blown to smithereens !

275663.jpg
275665.jpg

( roughly where you see some tech guys is where i was sat near to wooden barrier middle centre seat row AA 23 about 20 meters back ) the THX at Empire was real class hi-fi for cinema even if it had echo

Empire Leicester Square , 70 THX marathon and it ain't like no other regular cinema , not even imax would come near close ,
small sounds like when kirk walks up to the transport and flips the communicator can feel the jolt vibration , when the transport slowly energised feel thus huge amount bass , mostly form the stage channels

when the enterprise blow up , in the order that you see it , bridge bass kick slam to the body , that means the chest ! as the enterprise losses it's orbit and starts bowing tilling downward the huge amount of directional bass rumble as the saucer breaks apart , then kaboom , the bass sort felt it in 3d was like slam to body chest and like , ( invisible man knee kicking me in chin ) it was so sudden and never experienced a cinematic explosion of the likes of that before , mostly the word is , Dolby CP200 , MPU-1 and THX sound system , you sure want to try that in the home , don't expect it happen in one go may take days or week of sound rehearsal testing

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits) - Track 2 "Money for Nothing" - but only in the original Mastering.... the Kick drum "kicks off" the end of the intro and the start of the real track - with a deep chest thump.

But the remasterings even 1 year after its release, damped the mid bass thump - if you can get the early mastering... it has massive thump - coming out of nowhere from the very quiet intro.

Andysu

Major Contributor
There are old 18" Altec Lansing woofs and JBLs and Cerwin Vegas. All thump good.
rare Empire Leicester Square early 1970's with Cerwin Vegas sensurround sub bass speaker located between screen and front row seating
419303609_409959525088223_3892280845105436717_n.jpg

at local ABC 1 can't say i noticed expect when 70mm six track sensurround rambled it was felt all over the body very alarmingly scary

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
rare Empire Leicester Square early 1970's with Cerwin Vegas sensurround sub bass speaker located between screen and front row seating
View attachment 361101

at local ABC 1 can't say i noticed expect when 70mm six track sensurround rambled it was felt all over the body very alarmingly scary
That appears to be a nice large theatre. The one old one remaining in my city of ~1 million people is now a mouldy ruin. :facepalm:

EERecordist

I am looking for a track with punchy bass that you feel in the chest on your system, inwant to see if mine has this or i should ditch my dual 8inch subs for a 10 or 12 inch?
You might look into the company Subpac. The other trick is the DBX subsonic synthesizer. A subsonic synth is not linear by definition, but many producers have used it on pop and electronic dance music.

ViperDom

Justin Timberlake - Like I Love You

Recently added this track to my show-off list for guests. The unique bass line that the Neptunes crafted really hits hard.
Even if you dont like pop its hard to deny the entertainment of this instrumental.
Dual 12's here.

To get good bass you really need to grab a umik-1 and measure the frequency response at your listening position using REW(free). Many peoples setups are dominated by a LF room mode leaving them with "one-note bass". This is easy to spot on a frequency response graph. Once you are able to dial in your setup to achieve balanced full spectrum bass it is a game changer.

Andysu

Major Contributor
That appears to be a nice large theatre. The one old one remaining in my city of ~1 million people is now a mouldy ruin. :facepalm:
into a liemax no doubt

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The splash image on the video above reminds me of...

1712180926135.png

I can keep this on topic with the legendary famous/infamous Telarc album:

1712180808415.jpeg

1712180845923.jpeg

I presume this is available in some digital format or another.
I don't think I have a copy in any format, come to think of it.
:facepalm:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Bass opening:
At least two 15's crossed high and up to 1m from them. But seriously @ehabheikal which country maybe someone here knows a good deal there or in neighborhood. For example in mine there are some Wharfedale SW-15's currently for 450€ a peace.

beeface

From the comments:

"When I played Berlin in 2005, before the first Tectonic Plates [a series of compilations released on Pinch's label Tectonic] had been released, I had Skream's " Bahl Fwd" on dubplate. I played in this weird venue, which was set in a bank vault and still had a caged-off safety deposit box room and everything: very small, with very thick walls and a decent soundsystem. While I was DJing, [grime MC] Jammer and his crew passed through, and when someone got on the mic this weird shit started happening.

The bass would get ridiculous, and the mixer would be bouncing on the table like a glass. When I dropped "Bahl Fwd," a pile of flyers went up into the air like confetti and I had to catch the mixer and hold it down. I thought we'd hit the resonant frequency of the room. I worked out that every time the MC was getting hype, they were standing in front of the speaker while the bass of the mic was on full; you got bass feedback through the mic sending the place so mad that you felt that you were being crushed. I thought I was going to die in that room. That tune is one of the heaviest dubstep tracks that's ever been cut, because he didn't have any EQ on the bass: full power, untouched bass."

Pinch in the VICE oral history of dubstep about this track.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
not so much a chest thump but a rather nice bass line.

Top Bottom